Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Miss Rori

Yet more storyboarded material from the stretch when Amaya was a villainess, with Dahlia being the woman who believed in him but was disillusioned, and an eighth teen who became his apprentice the person who had some information on how he could be stopped.

It's been joked about at YT that Wish is going down as a movie where the "fans" really/only care about working with the deleted material, not the film actually made, and I can't blame them looking at stuff like this. There was a better potential movie here that the filmmakers tossed away.

TsWade2

Yet more storyboarded material from the stretch when Amaya was a villainess, with Dahlia being the woman who believed in him but was disillusioned, and an eighth teen who became his apprentice the person who had some information on how he could be stopped.

It's been joked about at YT that Wish is going down as a movie where the "fans" really/only care about working with the deleted material, not the film actually made, and I can't blame them looking at stuff like this. There was a better potential movie here that the filmmakers tossed away.
I will admit, some of the deleted scenes would’ve been kept, especially the Starboy and the Gigantic King Magnifico, but, I’m kind’ve happy what we have on Wish. I appreciate that Wish has fans in the different, but we have to understand that we can’t always what we want. What Disney did for Wish is fine to me, and I think that movie is treated unfairly, but what do I know? You guys just hated the movie. So why bother defending it?🙄

Ghost93

Is this romantic original version of At All Costs legit? If so, I think we were robbed.

I feel like people miss Disney romances. We recently had Elemental, but among the princess movies we haven't had much romance in about a decade, with Merida, Moana and Raya all having no love interest. Even Anna's romance with Kristoff is kinda a sidenote in the overall Frozen story.

Animaniac93-98

I feel like people miss Disney romances. We recently had Elemental, but among the princess movies we haven't had much romance in about a decade, with Merida, Moana and Raya all having no love interest. Even Anna's romance with Kristoff is kinda a sidenote in the overall Frozen story.

It's kind of a hallmark of the Princess brand to have some sort of romance in these stories, but reductive and oversimplified takes on older Disney movies has now lead to a fear that any depiction of romance is inherently wrong.

As audience tastes change, there's a bit of a lag until they're reflected in these movies because of how long it takes to produce them. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Disney "princess" movie has a romance in it.

TsWade2

Is this romantic original version of At All Costs legit? If so, I think we were robbed.

I hate to admit it, but I do miss that.

LittleBuford

I found this song extremely puzzling when I watched the film. It sounded beautiful, but I couldn’t understand the rationale behind Asha and Magnifico duetting in this manner. It makes much more sense as a love song.

Ghost93

I found this song extremely puzzling when I watched the film. It sounded beautiful, but I couldn’t understand the rationale behind Asha and Magnifico duetting in this manner. It makes much more sense as a love song.
I think because it was a good song they didn't want to get rid of it entirely when they rewrote the story, but I think a lot more people would be talking about the song it was part of its original romantic context.

I'm surprised no one is talking about "Knowing What I know Now." I'm not even a fan of Wish, but I thought that song was amazing.

LittleBuford

I think because it was a good song they didn't want to get rid of it entirely when they rewrote the story, but I think a lot more people would be talking about the song it was part of its original romantic context.

I'm surprised no one is talking about "Knowing What I know Now." I'm not even a fan of Wish, but I thought that song was amazing.
As I think you know, I liked all the music, but the reason I’m not talking about (or listening to) it is that the conversation around Wish has become so mired in negativity that I can no longer find joy in it. I hope that changes one day.

TsWade2

As I think you know, I liked all the music, but the reason I’m not talking about (or listening to) it is that the conversation around Wish has become so mired in negativity that I can no longer find joy in it. I hope that changes one day.
I know how you feel. Ever since Wish was announced at D23 Expo couple years ago and I was so excited for it all year long, when it was premiered one year later, the critics hated it and it was sadly flop and I was so upset about it. I seen the movie in theaters and I enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film, but I enjoyed it. But hearing a lot've bad criticism from Wish makes me feel bad about it and I was giving up hope on DIsney and I keep saying this is the end of Disney. I even blamed WDWPro for being a threat to Disney, but that's just me. But, you know, Encanto was a flop in theaters (probably due of that corrupted virus, but I don't think I want to go there), but when it came to DisneyPlus, it became overnight success there than at the theaters and it became a classic. If that can happen to Encanto on DIsneyPlus, then maybe this will happen on Wish too. That is, I hope it does.

LittleBuford

I know how you feel. Ever since Wish was announced at D23 Expo couple years ago and I was so excited for it all year long, when it was premiered one year later, the critics hated it and it was sadly flop and I was so upset about it. I seen the movie in theaters and I enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film, but I enjoyed it. But hearing a lot've bad criticism from Wish makes me feel bad about it and I was giving up hope on DIsney and I keep saying this is the end of Disney. I even blamed WDWPro for being a threat to Disney, but that's just me. But, you know, Encanto was a flop in theaters (probably due of that corrupted virus, but I don't think I want to go there), but when it came to DisneyPlus, it became overnight success there than at the theaters and it became a classic. If that can happen to Encanto on DIsneyPlus, then maybe this will happen on Wish too. That is, I hope it does.
Don’t lose hope in Disney. The company has had many box-office disappointments in the past and bounced back. It’s nothing to worry about in the long term!

Last edited:

Ghost93

That's kind of how I felt about Amazon's Rings of Power TV show from a couple of years ago. I kinda liked it, but didn't talk about it much since there was such a toxic negativity on the Internet around the mere mention of the show.

I hope I'm not coming across too harsh on Wish. I thought it was a mixed bag and not as good as it should have been, but there were definitely elements about it that I quite liked. I definitely don't think it deserves to be hated.

TsWade2

That's kind of how I felt about Amazon's Rings of Power TV show from a couple of years ago. I kinda liked it, but didn't talk about it much since there was such a toxic negativity on the Internet around the mere mention of the show.

I hope I'm not coming across too harsh on Wish. I thought it was a mixed bag and not as good as it should have been, but there were definitely elements about it that I quite liked. I definitely don't think it deserves to be hated.
Thank you! I totally respect you now.

Miss Rori

It's kind of a hallmark of the Princess brand to have some sort of romance in these stories, but reductive and oversimplified takes on older Disney movies has now lead to a fear that any depiction of romance is inherently wrong.
I think it's a combination of that and Disney being desperate to sell these movies to boys as much as girls, believing that they won't be interested in a story that centers a romance. The whole reason it's called Tangled and not Rapunzel (in most markets, anyway) is because Rapunzel sounded too girly; keep in mind that this was after the relative underperformance of The Princess and the Frog compared to expectations, a movie that did center princesses and romance in its marketing.

Miss Rori

The most common theory I've heard is that it was kept in the movie because...Disney didn't want to waste the opportunity for couples having Disney-themed weddings, etc. to use it. For their part the filmmakers felt that giving the song to Asha and Magnifico made their conflict more dramatic in they effectively had the same motivations but approached them differently, or something like that. (I think this is about Magnifico wanting to keep the wishes imprisoned so they wouldn't harm his hold on the kingdom, whereas Asha wanted to protect the wishes from harm so people could be happy. Or something.)

Miss Rori

I can also see why they didn't play the ending with that comedic note. Again, though, maybe it would have made the character of Valentino more compelling if he did something so brave and noteworthy to save Asha and the people of Rosas rather than just making the odd quip.
I know this is a little tardy for a reply, but that reminds me...what exactly does Asha do in the story that's genuinely heroic? She causes a lot of trouble in the first two acts and is just cleaning up the mess in the third. And she constantly needs outside help, rather than accomplishing things under her own power (which also contradicts the Aesop "You have to make your own wish come true"). Even in the climax she has to ask others for help. She puts a lot of people in danger, but what does she sacrifice? Why is she so special that everybody (even the stars themselves) is happy to help her? How does she earn her happy ending?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom