Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Phroobar

Some how this fits really well at DCA.

iu

celluloid

Yes, Chicken Little did better at the box office. But it’s also the worst animated film Disney has ever made, and far, far lower in quality than Wish. Which metric matters more to you as a Disney fan: quality or box-office earnings?

For a company to continue. Both matter.
I have a strong suspicion that Wish's problem in the US was coming out a week after Trolls Band Together. Kids gave Wish 4.5 stars, after all.

This statement when just factual is telling of just how bad the brand rejection is. Trolls is a franchise that has never had huge theatrical metrics in its own animated world and is a mid tier support for Dreamworks as a fun Jukebox musical. It defeated a Disney Princess animated musical film for the holiday season. Not just matched and surpassed it. Stomped it with half the budget.

LittleBuford

For a company to continue. Both matter.
Sure, but it’s not like Disney hasn’t gone through slumps before. They’ve lost money on a number of films in the past, including some that are now regarded as masterpieces (not that I’m saying that’ll happen to Wish). I just find it weird that a Disney fan would invoke Chicken Little as something that paints Wish in a bad light. It really doesn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas Disney Fan

Gosh, what if it doesn't do well on Disney+? What if it gets less viewers than that weird Percy Jackson show?
As I mentioned in the post you quoted it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

TS is way too emotionally invested in Disneys successes and failures, it’s affecting his well being, no company, no matter how much we love their products, should have that power over our happiness.

The only people who should be stressed out over Disney problems are the employees who actually have the ability to fix those problems, not their fans.

TsWade2

As I mentioned in the post you quoted it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

TS is way too emotionally invested in Disneys successes and failures, it’s affecting his well being, no company, no matter how much we love their products, should have that power over our happiness.

The only people who should be stressed out over Disney problems are the employees who actually have the ability to fix those problems, not their fans.
I appreciate you’re trying to assure me, thanks, but right now, I can’t help it. I’ll try to control it, but like I said, I can’t help it right now.

Phroobar

Disney animated movies really don't seem to do that well in the 21st century. This is a list of movies in the last 23 years. They for the most part make twice the budget back. Frozen was a huge exception. In red are the movies that made less than 2.5x budget world wide.

2000 The Emperor's new Groove WBO 1.7x budget
2001 Atlantis: The Lost Empire WBO 2.1x budget

2002 Lilo & Stich WBO 3.1x budget
2002 Treasure Planet WBO 0.9x budget
2003 Brother Bear WBO 5.4x budget
2004 Home on the Range WBO 0.7x budget
2005 Chicken Little WBO 2.1x budget
2007 Meet the Robinsons WBO 1.3x budget
2008 Bolt WBO 2.2x budget

2009 The Princess and the Frog WBO 2.6x budget
2010 Tangled WBO 2.2x budget
2012 Wreck-It Ralph WBO 3.0x budget
2013 Frozen WBO 8.5x budget
2014 Big Hero 6 WBO 3.9x budget
2016 Zootopia WBO 6.7x budget
2016 Moana WBO 4.2x budget
2018 Ralph Breaks the Internet WBO 3.0x budget
2019 Frozen II WBO 9.7x budget
Covid - not including those movies released during covid
2022 Strange World WBO 0.5x budget
2023 Wish WBO 0.7x budget

Basically can we expect ten years of poor releases before another Frozen appears? They are averaging 3.2x budget on return for last 23 years. That is why they keep making them.

Last edited:

Phroobar

The Emperor’s New Groove is an absolute gem of a movie, and yet more proof that box-office performance can tell us only so much.
Of that list, The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favorites. I'm surprised that Brother Bear did better than Lilo & Stitch. Where is our Brother Bear ride?

Phroobar

So 4-5x budget will get you a meet & greet makeover area.
6x and up get you a new land and ride.
2.5-3x budgets gets you a refurbished ride that was originally politically incorrect.

Phroobar

Brother Bear wasn't a bad movie. It was a buddy picture with some real emotion. The wilderness and arouras looked beautiful. The characters learned a lesson. But when it comes to comedy, nothing beats Emperor's New Groove for it's Looney Tunes feel.

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney animated movies really don't seem to do that well in the 21st century. This is a list of movies in the last 23 years. They for the most part make twice the budget back. Frozen was a huge exception. In red are the movies that made less than 2.5x budget world wide.

2000 The Emperor's new Groove WBO 1.7x budget
2001 Atlantis: The Lost Empire WBO 2.1x budget

2002 Lilo & Stich WBO 3.1x budget
2002 Treasure Planet WBO 0.9x budget
2003 Brother Bear WBO 5.4x budget
2004 Home on the Range WBO 0.7x budget
2005 Chicken Little WBO 2.1x budget
2007 Meet the Robinsons WBO 1.3x budget
2008 Bolt WBO 2.2x budget

2009 The Princess and the Frog WBO 2.6x budget
2010 Tangled WBO 2.2x budget
2012 Wreck-It Ralph WBO 3.0x budget
2013 Frozen WBO 8.5x budget
2014 Big Hero 6 WBO 3.9x budget
2016 Zootopia WBO 6.7x budget
2016 Moana WBO 4.2x budget
2018 Ralph Breaks the Internet WBO 3.0x budget
2019 Frozen II WBO 9.7x budget
Covid - not including those movies released during covid
2022 Strange World WBO 0.5x budget
2023 Wish WBO 0.7x budget

Basically can we expect ten years of poor releases before another Frozen appears? They are averaging 3.2x budget on return for last 23 years. That is why they keep making them.
This isn’t that surprising, Disney has a bit of a history with a 10 year boom bust cycle.

80s were bad, 90s great, 00s bad, 10s great… I can’t wait til the 2030s. 😉

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Back to "Wish" and its performance around the world.

Japan's second weekend is in and its soft opening did not have a great hold.

As a comp, only $9.3M after its second weekend in release is 77% below "Frozen 2", 81% below "Mario", and even 40% lower than the box office disappointment "Ralph Breaks the Internet" (all numbers not adjusted for inflation to give "Wish" a holiday break)

View attachment 760497
2023 is over for Disney, they can't lose anymore money. They can only lessen whatever losses there will be with whatever is left in the tank on these movies. So no need for a continual countdown of the box office.

Magenta Panther

I am probably the only person that liked Chicken Little. It was silly fun.
I liked it too. Its only weakness was Runt the pig. TOO fat, and most of his jokes didn't land. But otherwise, it is, as you say, a silly, fun movie, with lots of heart. AND it was a box-office hit, by the way. It was the Little movie that could - and did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom