Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

FettFan

I liked it too. Its only weakness was Runt the pig. TOO fat, and most of his jokes didn't land. But otherwise, it is, as you say, a silly, fun movie, with lots of heart. AND it was a box-office hit, by the way. It was the Little movie that could - and did.

Still not as good as the WWII version though.

Chicken_Little_1944_8_graveyard.jpg

Farerb

Wish has ZERO nominations at the Annie awards:

Ghost93

And Nimona, which was originally supposed to be released under Disney, has the most Annie Award nominations! 😍

In all seriousness though, I would have given Elemental the Best Picture nomination over Suzume and TMNT Mutant Mayhem. Both of those movies were very good, but I felt Elemental packed a little bit more of an emotional punch. But part of me wonders if the Annie Awards are trying to send a message to Disney to step up their game.

All of the Best Picture nominees — Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse, the Boy and the Heron, Nimona, TMNT and Suzume — all have animation styles that are very different from the realistic Pixar standard that has dominated mainstream animated movies for the past two decades. Maybe the Annies want animation to get back to its more expressive, highly stylized roots.

TsWade2

Fine! But, as for this quote you wrote from a different thread:
If the kind of musicals they're going to make are anything like Wish, they should stop making musicals. To be honest if one of the studios had to go I prefer that Disney Animation would shut down. They've painted themselves into a corner and they haven't really been "Disney Animation" since Winnie the Pooh in 2011.
Don't you dare say Disney is going to shut down their animation studio! That's not going to happen, and you know it! Just give Disney some time to correct themselves! In the meantime, hopefully when it come to DisneyPlus, Wish will do better there anyway.

Last edited:

Phroobar

All of the Best Picture nominees — Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse, the Boy and the Heron, Nimona, TMNT and Suzume — all have animation styles that are very different from the realistic Pixar standard that has dominated mainstream animated movies for the past two decades. Maybe the Annies want animation to get back to its more expressive, highly stylized roots.
I liked Nimona but I give the best picture to the Boy and the Heron. It had the best story and was beautiful.

Ghost93

I liked Nimona but I give the best picture to the Boy and the Heron. It had the best story and was beautiful.
I didn't emotionally connect with the Boy and the Heron the way I did with most Miyazaki films, but I'd be fine with the movie winning as a celebration of traditional animation.

From a visual perspective, Across the Spiderverse is the best-looking animated film. Almost every frame could be a poster hung up on your wall. I think what is harming the movie in awards conversations is simply that it ended on a cliffhanger. I expect the follow up film concluding the Spidververse story to sweep whatever awards this one does not.

MagicHappens1971

I’m giving up hope for Wish. I guess Wish won’t do well on DisneyPlus. And I bet it won’t do well digitally and won’t do well on physical media either. I guess Disney Animation and Pixar are in jeopardy if they don’t shape up. I guess Wish will be forgotten as Black Cauldron and Strange World. I still love the movie, but life is so unfair! Great! Now I’m being negative like you guys, which is sad for me!😢 And I guess you guys like it because you guys hated Disney!😤
It won't do well, because Disney made a poor movie. I wanted to like Wish... I already posted a review on here so I won't recap it, but the movie is just not good. It's a "cheap" (not financially) shot at trying to recap a 100 year legacy that is rooted in storytelling, by producing a film that has extremely poor storytelling. The animation style was a poor choice. It looks "cheap", the marketing for the film wasn't great either, and the music is not good, outside of one or two songs. I like the reprise of This Wish, which was a great scene in the movie, and maybe Welcome to Rosas.

TsWade2

It won't do well, because Disney made a poor movie. I wanted to like Wish... I already posted a review on here so I won't recap it, but the movie is just not good. It's a "cheap" (not financially) shot at trying to recap a 100 year legacy that is rooted in storytelling, by producing a film that has extremely poor storytelling. The animation style was a poor choice. It looks "cheap", the marketing for the film wasn't great either, and the music is not good, outside of one or two songs. I like the reprise of This Wish, which was a great scene in the movie, and maybe Welcome to Rosas.
You make me sad!☹️

MoonRakerSCM

Two observations from spending Friday at Dland-
1) In World of Disney, no one was touching the block of Wish merch near the exit.
2) We saw two ladies wearing Wish sweatshirt things while in line for Jungle Cruise. A girl nearby spoke up and commented "oh, you liked Wish!" And the response was "No, we just really liked the color"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom