Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

LittleBuford

[

Yes, the point of the post was that they would get something stupid that blatantly wasn't true out of it, thank you for reiterating.
I understood your point, but I don’t agree with it. They actually have a vested interest in not repeating the same mistakes, so they’re hardly going to gravitate towards something bogus, especially when it’s so farfetched as to be untenable.

LittleBuford

Oh theres lots of Wish merch in the parks, but the problem is not one is buying it because no one likes it. The color palet is wonderful, but the Hardee's Star and Goat are not driving any sales, and neither is Asha (nee mini Che Guevara)
Under different circumstances, I would totally have got myself some Star merch, but the associations I have with the film are now so depressing that the thought of owning a product related to it brings me no joy.

MagicHappens1971

My money's on their oblivious takeaway being "see! People don't want 2D animation/stuff that kinda resembles it!".
Granted that one of the hallmark issues with the film is that it was made to resemble 2D animation & doesn’t at all, I don’t think that’ll be their takeaway.

The oblivious takeaway will be that people don’t want “original” stories. Let’s keep the IP machine going….. although this film is technically not “original” either as the premise is that it predates all Disney fairytales.

Sir_Cliff

Granted that one of the hallmark issues with the film is that it was made to resemble 2D animation & doesn’t at all, I don’t think that’ll be their takeaway.

The oblivious takeaway will be that people don’t want “original” stories. Let’s keep the IP machine going….. although this film is technically not “original” either as the premise is that it predates all Disney fairytales.
Maybe this is naïve, but I'm hoping the recent announcement of upcoming films that suggested some have been delayed or pulled reflects a realisation they need to work harder on quality control.

They've now had too many films across several brands/franchises that haven't connected with audiences or critics and I hope they are realising that they can no longer just slap the Disney or Marvel brand on a film or even produce a film based on a recognisable franchise and expect it to find an audience in the current climate. I also hope is that this extends to their view of the live action remakes.

In that respect, I think the lesson won't just be 'rely on established IPs or franchises', because even that hasn't been working for them. If you put Elemental and Wish next to each other, for example, the obvious lesson is that the better and indeed more original film eventually found an audience despite a difficult environment and, in turn, became a hit on Disney+. The logical take away would not be to just ditch original stories, but to go back to being the gold standard in animated storytelling.

Advisable Joseph

That could be the problem: confused expectations. It was definitely influenced by old Disney animation, but really the art design is supposed to look like a moving watercolor storybook illustration instead, as a sort of combination of techniques, I think.

Now I think the short Far From the Tree is supposed to look like traditional animation
What do you think of that? Wish could have looked like that if intended.

Since Wish's test screenings were highly successful, we know Byron Howard (Tangled, Zootopia, Encanto) and company liked it: the film's art was technically good, but not everyone will necessarily like the idea behind it.

Last edited:

TsWade2

The only justification I could really see for that is if the film lands on Disney+ and suddenly becomes a huge hit.
That’s what I’ve been saying that this whole time! But a lot’ve sad haters don’t listen to me!🙄Just wait until February or March that Wish will do justice on Disney+!

Phroobar

My opinion is that Wish’ animation style was a good idea that was poorly executed, that coupled with the poor word of mouth and reviews probably lead to its poor box office performance. There are also some of the general public that has lost interest in Disney, for whatever reason.

The film was not bad, and definitely not one of their worst. It just has really poor pacing problems, and the music is not great. If they wanted it to sound like a Lin Manuel musical, they should’ve hired him. There’s also not really any stakes to the story, it’s hard to keep interest. There are some fun Easter eggs/nods but at the end of the day if they wanted a hit for their 100th they should’ve done a Mickey feature film.
Everything you said doesn't make a it a good movie. It was bad. Not Plan 9 from Outer Space bad but still bad.

mickEblu

My opinion is that Wish’ animation style was a good idea that was poorly executed, that coupled with the poor word of mouth and reviews probably lead to its poor box office performance. There are also some of the general public that has lost interest in Disney, for whatever reason.

The film was not bad, and definitely not one of their worst. It just has really poor pacing problems, and the music is not great. If they wanted it to sound like a Lin Manuel musical, they should’ve hired him. There’s also not really any stakes to the story, it’s hard to keep interest. There are some fun Easter eggs/nods but at the end of the day if they wanted a hit for their 100th they should’ve done a Mickey feature film.

That look of Wish was inspired by movies like Into the Spiderverse and TMNT Mutant Mayhem. Both with grittier settings and content the lends theme selves to that animation style. Disney tried going with some half hearted attempt to appear modern but also feel natural for a fairytale setting. The outcome was forgettable and not visually captivating.

Phroobar

That look of Wish was inspired by movies like Into the Spiderverse and TMNT Mutant Mayhem. Both with grittier settings and content the lends theme selves to that animation style. Disney tried going with some half hearted attempt to appear modern but also feel natural for a fairytale setting. The outcome was forgettable and not visually captivating.
The Last Wish did the fairytale look better.

Advisable Joseph

Wish is not perfect, but it’s not really a bad film.
A lot of people are confused. The movie finally unveils the look Disney had been working on for the cancelled Gigantic, yet people assume that the look was half-hearted or a cynical, last minute affectation.

Reading between the lines, many online forum members and Redditers, etc., cannot accept that Wish is a moving watercolor storybook illustration, even though audience reviews at Rotten Tomatoes laud Wish for that.

And I don't think Wish is being rejected in Japan or Germany, or even Spain or the UK, although I would still need to follow the box office more.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Okay, I just (I’m sorry Irish, I know this is repetitive, but right now, I want Wish to make a comeback) hope Wish does well and make a viral hit on DisneyPlus like Encanto did.

Vegas Disney Fan

Okay, I just (I’m sorry Irish, I know this is repetitive, but right now, I want Wish to make a comeback) hope Wish does well and make a viral hit on DisneyPlus like Encanto did.
It’ll do fine on D+ but even if it doesn’t it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, I think you’re too invested in it’s success or failure, Disney will live and learn from this years box office struggles and adjust accordingly.

Don’t worry about Disney, focus on having a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Disney will be fine, there’s no reason to worry about a couple movies doing bad.

Farerb

Reading between the lines, many online forum members and Redditers, etc., cannot accept that Wish is a moving watercolor storybook illustration, even though audience reviews at Rotten Tomatoes laud Wish for that.

What is there to accept? People are calling it the way they see it. I don't doubt that this was their intention, it just doesn't look like watercolor storybook illustration. Do you really think that it's visually on par with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi or Sleeping Beauty? These films look beautiful, Wish is the ugliest film Disney ever made.

Phroobar

It’ll do fine on D+ but even if it doesn’t it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, I think you’re too invested in it’s success or failure, Disney will live and learn from this years box office struggles and adjust accordingly.

Don’t worry about Disney, focus on having a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Disney will be fine, there’s no reason to worry about a couple movies doing bad.
Gosh, what if it doesn't do well on Disney+? What if it gets less viewers than that weird Percy Jackson show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom