Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TP2000

Being too lazy to read a review, what seems to the issue that the critics don't like about Wish?

A few fun snippets I found for you from Top Critics...

• "Wish" will indeed likely inspire some merchandise sales, but not a whole lot else. -Detroit Free Press
  • But as a piece of storytelling, Wish is as flimsy as a star decal stuck to a wall -The Daily Beast
  • It's strange to watch a movie about celebrating the individual "star" in everyone that feels like it was made by mandate, not a dream. -Associated Press
  • Watching all the tried-and-tested elements fail to coalesce just makes us nostalgic for the classics instead. -The Guardian
  • Ariana DeBose belts out a few good tunes, but this supposed centennial celebration falls flat -Slant Magazine
  • Unfortunately, it turns out to be a self-portrait of an altogether less flattering type – a sort of Corporate Identity Crisis: The Movie. -Daily Telegraph
  • Wish is a disappointment. What could have been a beautiful celebration of Disney’s past ends up being one big poorly designed Easter egg hunt. -Austin Chronicle

Consumer

This film was supposed to be more or less that, only without the basis in a classic fairy tale. I also wouldn't say Frozen displayed reverence for the source material; it was more 'inspired' by The Snow Princess.

If this film is not well received by audiences as well as critics, I hope they do take the time to try and figure out how to make original animated features that connect with audiences. It certainly doesn't necessarily follow Disney will do that rather than just cutting back on budgets and relying more heavily on sequels and established IPs. A return to traditional fairy tales also wouldn't be the most obvious response to critics finding this film too formulaic.
If that's what it was supposed to be it seems they've completely missed the mark. Everything I've heard about this movie is about how its moral is completely backwards and they make the king out to be a villain even though he's the only good guy in the movie.

If critics find this movie formulaic, I suspect what they really mean is uninspired. Formulaic isn't bad. Star Wars is formulaic and it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Figment1984

Do we use all critics or to critics? Verified or all audience? It shows this now.View attachment 755018
View attachment 755019
Do
I give more weight to verified audience scores. Despite people thinking it’s some exclusive club to become “verified”, anyone can easily by linking their AMC/Fandango/ticketing provider account and proved they purchased a ticket. If someone can’t prove they bought a product, why would I trust their review of it? Obviously not a perfect method to weed out manipulation, but trolls love review bombing anything these days.

Disney Analyst

The answer is there in your question. Seeing films is no longer required for knowing everything about them.

I mean, frankly that statement is a complete falsehood. I don't even think anyone could subjectively come away from the film thinking Magnifico was the fair and reasonable one all along?

I'm very interested in your take... maybe I am crazy?

LittleBuford

I mean, frankly that statement is a complete falsehood. I don't even think anyone could subjectively come away from the film thinking Magnifico was the fair and reasonable one all along?

I'm very interested in your take... maybe I am crazy?
My take or theirs? I haven’t seen it yet to have one!

Consumer

Well I have seen the movie, and that is certainly not what happens, and I am unclear how anyone has that take away who has actually seen the film?
Obviously I haven't seen it, but going from the spoilers I read:
>The King refuses to grant wishes that will hurt the kingdom
>The King wipes the memory of those who made such wishes so they don't have to suffer knowing their wish wasn't fulfilled
>This makes Asha mad so she overthrows the King and traps his soul in a mirror for eternity
>Asha still selectively grants wishes anyway
Is this accurate in any way?

Figment1984

Everything I've heard about this movie is about how its moral is completely backwards and they make the king out to be a villain even though he's the only good guy in the movie.
Well I have seen the movie, and that is certainly not what happens, and I am unclear how anyone has that take away who has actually seen the film?
I disagree with his statement that the king is the good guy, but they really do a poor job of making him a villain - and it annoys me that a few very minor changes would have fixed that.

My biggest issue with the plot is that they explicitly state that everyone gives up their wishes voluntarily. The King isn't forcing anyone to give up their wish - it's completely up to them - and it's made pretty clear that only a very small number of wishes are granted every year, so it's not like the citizens of Rosa don't know their chances are slim. If they had stated that it was mandated that everyone has to give up their wish when they turn a certain age - THAT simple edit would have made the King much more of a villain.

Other than that, all of the citizens of Rosa are happy! They do a whole musical number singing about how wonderful the Kingdom is. They do an awful job of depicting that giving up your wish means giving up the biggest part of yourself. The only character who looked unhappy for giving up their wish in the movie is Asha's friend who was based on Sleepy - which was a horrible choice because he's based off Sleepy... he isn't meant to look happy!

Disney Analyst

Obviously I haven't seen it, but going from the spoilers I read:
>The King refuses to grant wishes that will hurt the kingdom
>The King wipes the memory of those who made such wishes so they don't have to suffer knowing their wish wasn't fulfilled
>This makes Asha mad so she overthrows the King and traps his soul in a mirror for eternity
>Asha still selectively grants wishes anyway
Is this accurate in any way?

No. Long spoilers ahead.

The King decides who's wishes get granted, under the claim it is to protect everyone, but really it's just him wanting to maintain power and influence. He sees the wishes as belonging solely to him, despite how innocent the Wishes are. You forget your Wish once given, which seems to result in members of the village no longer having the drive or passion they once did. The lack of a wish sort or relates to a lack of a goal, something to strive for, and fight to achieve.

Asha finds out the truth, and wants to try and set the Wishes free, as they belong to each individual, and not some egotistical King who believes he has the right the choose, under whatever criteria he has determined.

The King discovers through dark magic, that if he consumes the wishes, it makes him more powerful, and dark magic corrupts him. Consuming the Wishes causes the wish giver great pain, and a feeling of deep sadness and depression.

Asha was not selectively granting any Wishes by the end, that I recall. The village works together to make peoples Wishes come true, through ingenuity like inventions (someones wish is to fly, the result is building a flying machine...)

Surferboy567

So I am writing this from the movie theater.

First reactions is that it was a solid 7/10. The movie is not groundbreaking or anything and it certainly isn’t going to change your life or anything. It is however, a harmless fun time at the movies. In the beginning I was pretty worried that this was going to be cringey. Asha has a very specific personality that everyone may not jive with but as the movie goes on it does get better. The movie really kicks into high gear about 30-45 mins in when Magnifico is allowed to be the villain. This is leaps and bounds better than Strange World. Not sure I’d say it’s better than Encanto, but it’s not a bad little movie either. Just don’t go in expecting beauty and the beast.

EDIT: Oh, and to be clear it doesn’t deserve a 50% on rotten tomatoes.

EDIT #2: I can also seeing “This Wish” “Welcome to Rosas” and “This is the Thanks I Get” being used a lot. They were solid songs.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom