Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TalkingHead

Guess we’re done with Wish. Oliver and Company, budget $30m, adjusted for inflation $80m or so. EDIT: $53 North American box office, $137m adjusted for inflation. Hard to pull that off with features costing $200m+P&A. So, yeah, I think Disney’s studios aren’t exactly in great shape.

Last edited:

celluloid

It made more than the Bambi re-release; you're just looking at the 1988 grosses and it kept earning into 1989. My impression is that it was considered a box office success at the time, grossing about $15 million more than Great Mouse Detective.
No, it was not. It was just better than Great Mouse detective and def better than Black Cauldron.

Oliver has a better following and catchier tunes than the others so it endeared better. It was however a dissapointment to what was expected based on budget and getting Billy Joel.

To put it in perspective of 1998-89, it performed similarly to Willow, which is a cult appreciated classic more than a financial theatrical release.

People may not realize that Great Mouse detective was substantially beaten by Universal's mouse movie of the same year.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Guess we’re done with Wish. Oliver and Company, budget $30m, adjusted for inflation $80m or so. IMDB claims $71m in North American box office, $192m adjusted for inflation. Hard to pull that off with features costing $200m+P&A. So, yeah, I think Disney’s studios aren’t exactly in great shape.

Those numbers may include the 1996 re-release. It made $53 million in its original domestic run.

No, it was not. It was just better than Great Mouse detective and def better than Black Cauldron.

Oliver has a better following and catchier tunes than the others so it endeared better. It was however a dissapointment to what was expected based on budget and getting Billy Joel.

Source? Oliver and Company doing over $50 million domestically was good business for an animated film at that time. This was years before animated movies were blockbusters (Little Mermaid's record run the following year was still not one of the top ten for 1989), and it was better than either Land Before Time or An American Tail.

wtyy21

If Wish is a flop at the box office, then Disney animation is done for. I guess WDWPro is going to win again and making Disney animation go bankrupt. For those of you are going stop it, I’m sorry, but I can’t help it.
I don't think Wish will flop and making Disney Animation go bankrupt as WDWPro say. Even if Wish was flop at box office (assuming only domestic ones), the film would still very popular for the audiences when the film got released at digital platforms and will make the film a cult classics that will follow for many years to come, for example the original Hocus Pocus or the pandemic-era Encanto.

TalkingHead

Those numbers may include the 1996 re-release. It made $53 million in its original domestic run.
Appreciate the correction. Vaguely remember a theatrical re-release now that you mention it. Really wish we had a standard database with reliable box office data pre-90s. I think the budget point stands, however. Post-glory days, $200m budgets are going to end up losers more often than not.

celluloid

Source? Oliver and Company doing over $50 million domestically was good business for an animated film at that time. This was years before animated movies were blockbusters (Little Mermaid's record run the following year was still not one of the top ten for 1989), and it was better than either Land Before Time or An American Tail.

Coutnless commentary on the subject from Animators to business.
https://www.fatherly.com/entertainment/oliver-and-company-billy-joel

I am not saying Oliver and Company was a harsh bomb in the sense of the word, but it was not a hit either.

Not only would LM be a box office smash a year after blowing all expectations, you don't need to go that far. Look right within that same year. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was Disney's success. While not completely animated, it showed people were fine with animation and a main theme.

TsWade2

I want to apologize of my over dramatic behavior. I’m just worried for Wish and I want it to do well than Strange World. But I need to realize that Wish ending $75 million at the box office is not that bad. And I think it might do Moana’s numbers. I suggest we stay from the evil Rotten Tomatoes, unless if the audience has higher percentage than those anti-Disney critics. And I know you guys are trying to cheer up, so thanks. I’m still nervous and worried for Wish and Disney Animation, but I’m still going to see it.😉

Haymarket

Its RT score is heading up again (51% now). I'm sure Disney and RT will be able to get it to 60% by tomorrow.

The five-star audience reviews sound repetitive and corporate as all get-out, but they should help as well.

TsWade2

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wish_2023 AH HA! The audience score is 88%! Perfect! Sorry critics, but it looks like it’s going to be a box office success!
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

TP2000

Why are people continually checking the Tomatometer? What motivates someone to look in the hope that the score has dropped and then post about it?

Because it's Thanksgiving week, and we all have the week off and are waiting for Molly Maids to finish before we pick up family at the airport?

It's interesting to watch the Tomatometer thing really. It's one of those things I didn't know much about until recently, but it's basically the free market of dozens of critics (professional and amateur) and thousands of ticket purchasers weighing in on what they thought of a new movie, and creating a score for it. It's a concept and a product that couldn't have existed in the 20th century. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the Tomatometer evolved on Star Wars over Memorial Day Weekend 1977?

Here's the latest on Wish as of this afternoon, toggled to Top Critics and All Audiences...

An Uphill Climb.jpg

Phroobar

Because it's Thanksgiving week, and we all have the week off and are waiting for Molly Maids to finish before we pick up family at the airport?

It's interesting to watch the Tomatometer thing really. It's one of those things I didn't know much about until recently, but it's basically the free market of dozens of critics (professional and amateur) and thousands of ticket purchasers weighing in on what they thought of a new movie, and creating a score for it. It's a concept and a product that couldn't have existed in the 20th century. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the Tomatometer evolved on Star Wars over Memorial Day Weekend 1977?

Here's the latest on Wish as of this afternoon, toggled to Top Critics and All Audiences...

View attachment 755017
Do we use all critics or to critics? Verified or all audience? It shows this now.
Screenshot 2023-11-21 124441.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 124554.png

Do

Disstevefan1

View attachment 755017
I trust the audience. I DO NOT trust the critics, in my opinion, the more the critics hate it, the more the general public will like it.

Wish will be a box office smash and will make more than enough at the box office to more than break even.

TP2000

The five-star audience reviews sound repetitive and corporate as all get-out, but they should help as well.

I just went and read the Verified Audience reviews from last night's preview screenings. Holy corporate espionage, Batman!

Those reviews read like a bunch of 4th graders were given unlimited amounts of sugar and told they'd get an extra hour for recess if they wrote three really excited sentences about the movie. 🤣

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I just went and read the Verified Audience reviews from last night's preview screenings. Holy corporate espionage, batman!

Those reviews read like a bunch of 4th graders were given unlimited amounts of sugar and told they'd get an extra hour for recess if they wrote three really excited sentences about the movie. 🤣
Maybe they are written by the 4th graders who are actually seeing it in the theaters ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom