Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

How many standing ovations did it get in your packed theater?
My theater was packed, although it was an early screening a week in advance, and those are almost always packed. Thre were three different points in the movie where a group of people who clearly loved the film tried to start clapping, but the rest of the audience wasn't in the mood.

The vibe I got from the theater was that the audience generally enjoyed the film, but only a small handful LOVED it to the point where they felt the need to start clapping.

TP2000

What are you talking about? Unless you frequent festivals like Venice or Cannes you are not likely to experience standing ovations in a movie theater

Oh. I just remember his accounts of packed theaters of childless adults in NYC going wild for Strange World a year ago.

I assumed that might play out for Wish. Plus, I wanted to get more exposure on his not-so-secret dossier of unapproved opinions and forbidden words that he keeps on some of us, by his own admission. ;)

Sir_Cliff

For those who've seen it, I'm curious to know how the animation style landed for you?

I'm one of those who hasn't been feeling it from the trailers, so I am interested to know whether on the big screen in high definition the 'storybook' effect or blend of traditional and CGI styles reads a lot more effectively.

LSLS

Well, the kids and wife are going tomorrow while I cook the turkey. They are going with another family, so need about 8 tickets. The 11:45 AM showing is EMPTY (as in, no tickets sold as of yesterday). Sad, cause it kind of looks good, but at least all the kids are excited to go. Hope it gets some legs.

Phroobar

Well, the kids and wife are going tomorrow while I cook the turkey. They are going with another family, so need about 8 tickets. The 11:45 AM showing is EMPTY (as in, no tickets sold as of yesterday). Sad, cause it kind of looks good, but at least all the kids are excited to go. Hope it gets some legs.
It's always nice to have a private screening. It should be a fairly common thing.

Ghost93

For those who've seen it, I'm curious to know how the animation style landed for you?

I'm one of those who hasn't been feeling it from the trailers, so I am interested to know whether on the big screen in high definition the 'storybook' effect or blend of traditional and CGI styles reads a lot more effectively.
I love the backgrounds and environments. I also think the movie's muted blue/purple aesthetic makes the scenes with Star — a bright yellow burst of energy — really pop.

The character animation, however, feels less stylized. Like Disney wanted to do a 2D/3D look but couldn't really commit.

Overall it was a good first try for Disney to use this style. However, I think other animated movies from this year — Across the Spider-verse, Nimona, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles — did a better job at capturing 2D aesthetics with 3D animation.

Surferboy567

It’s very unique and sometimes can cross across as jarring. I did like it though, the best way I can describe it is that it looks like sleeping beauty backgrounds with more modern characters.

Which is fitting because the easter eggs really add to the movie.

Phroobar

Do you think Disney would sue over character infringement if Illumination did a Super Mario Galaxy movie?

iu

Surferboy567

Do you think Disney would sue over character infringement if Illumination did a Super Mario Galaxy movie?

iu
They really should, it’s one of my favorite games. The “story” is also the best mainline Mario game.

Oh, and Rosalina is my favorite Mario spinoff character.

EDIT: I never connected Star and Luma like that, interesting.

Animaniac93-98

Now that over 100 reviews have been submitted, RT has their Critics Consensus posted:

"Wish earns some tugs at the heartstrings with the way it warmly references many of the studio's classics, but nostalgia's no substitute for genuine storytelling magic -- no matter how beautifully animated it might be."

Still sitting at 50% overall. Of the 28 top critics reviews so far, only 8 are fresh. 😬

I think the last time any new Disney or Pixar animated release had a tomatometer this low was Cars 2 in 2011.

Disstevefan1

Now that over 100 reviews have been submitted, RT has their Critics Consensus posted:

"Wish earns some tugs at the heartstrings with the way it warmly references many of the studio's classics, but nostalgia's no substitute for genuine storytelling magic -- no matter how beautifully animated it might be."

Still sitting at 50% overall. Of the 28 top critics reviews so far, only 8 are fresh. 😬

I think the last time any new Disney or Pixar animated release had a tomatometer this low was Cars 2 in 2011.
The audience is the ONLY thing that matters!!!
1700670809313.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom