Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Heppenheimer

I rewatched it a few years ago (I hadn't seen it since it first came out) and didn't much like it. Perhaps I need to give it another go.
So did I.

Oliver and Company did not improve with time. If anything, it looks even more like a latter day Bluth Studios direct-to-video release. Hard to believe that Disney had The Little Mermaid waiting in the wings at the same time.

LittleBuford

Other than "Why Should I Worry" — a great song, I don't really care for anything about Oliver and Company.
In addition to the song, I really like the look of it.

My personal favourite from the pre-Little Mermaid '80s era is the film I grew up knowing as Basil the Great Mouse Detective. An underrated gem in my opinion!

WorldExplorer

My main takeaway from all this is that Oliver and Company is massively underrated.

I love that one. I'm surprised seeing it placed next to stuff like Chicken Little and Home on the Range. The music alone should put it a few miles above those.

I would prefer it over Pocahontas, too, really.

(I also like Chicken Little, but realize it's not very good.)

Heppenheimer

In addition to the song, I really like the look of it.

My personal favourite from the pre-Little Mermaid '80s era is the film I grew up knowing as Basil the Great Mouse Detective. An underrated gem in my opinion!
The only thing I don't like about that film is that it made me kind of sad that Disney only worked with Vincent Price and Henry Mancini very late in their careers. Price almost sounds like he's doing a hammed-up impression of himself and the results are absolutely glorious!

TsWade2

If Wish is a flop at the box office, then Disney animation is done for. I guess WDWPro is going to win again and making Disney animation go bankrupt. For those of you are going stop it, I’m sorry, but I can’t help it.

Figment1984

My main takeaway from all this is that Oliver and Company is massively underrated.
I wouldn’t put too much weight on internet reviews for movies that came out pre-2000. Most critics aren’t revisiting 40+ year old movies to write a good review. They typically revisit it just to rate it with a “modern” perspective which I find silly. Yes, a movie that came out in the 1980s has very 80s culture. What did they expect?

brb1006

If Wish is a flop at the box office, then Disney animation is done for. I guess WDWPro is going to win again and making Disney animation go bankrupt. For those of you are going stop it, I’m sorry, but I can’t help it.
No Disney Animation won't be done for. Disney Animation was in an even worse shape during the 70s and early 80s.

TsWade2

I’ll say this, I agree that Oliver and Company is not Disney’s best animated feature, but it did manage fine at the box office.

Ghost93

Pinocchio, Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Black Cauldron, The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons and Winnie the Pooh were all major flops or disappointments. Disney animation will survive Wish underperforming if that happens.

celluloid

I’ll say this, I agree that Oliver and Company is not Disney’s best animated feature, but it did manage fine at the box office.

No it didn't. At least not compared to about 30 movies that performed better, including Bambi being re-released in theaters.

Luckily it had a release.

Tha Realest

Why are people continually checking the Tomatometer? What motivates someone to look in the hope that the score has dropped and then post about it?
Honestly it’s likely a combination of “pointing at the scoreboard” and surprise at how poorly it’s being received. I for one was bullish on its financial and critical prospects, and am really surprised it’s being received like this from the critics.

If you had told me the critical consensus would be more favorably receptive to Trolls 3 than Wish, I wouldn’t have believed it.

Sir_Cliff

No it didn't. At least not compared to about 30 movies that performed better, including Bambi being re-released in theaters.

Luckily it had a release.
It made more than the Bambi re-release; you're just looking at the 1988 grosses and it kept earning into 1989. My impression is that it was considered a box office success at the time, grossing about $15 million more than Great Mouse Detective. Coincidentally, it seems like the 35th anniversary of Oliver and Company's release was this past weekend!

Haven't watched it (or Great Mouse Detective) in years, so maybe should. I do remember seeing Great Mouse Detective in the cinema when I was about 5 or 6 years old, but not sure I've seen it since!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom