Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

BuddyThomas

My version is much simpler:

1. Discuss my preliminary thoughts without committing myself to positions that can’t be reached without knowing more.
2. See the film if it appeals to me enough.
3. Share my thought on it, whether positive, negative, or in between.
We have to remember that most of the haters on here have no intention of seeing the movie in the first place, and they are just here to cause trouble.

Tha Realest

If you mean Rotten Tomatoes, well, honestly, I always decide for myself with any movie I am interested in seeing. I don't put much stock in them these days. I went to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie despite the mixed reviews and found it to be a blast. Much better than the 93 live action film. Likewise with the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars. (sorry for bringing that into here.) I enjoyed all three movies unreservedly. I can't speak for this one though.

That sounds like a much healthier way to talk about these things. The other way is totally mindnumbing.
Of course you’re free to decide what movies to see. So am I. But some people do look to reviews - either from their local reviewer, or a certain online one they might trust over time - to decide whether to see a film or not. Others look to RT scores to see what the general consensus is.

This is why I don’t get into subjective determinations. Plenty of people come to the table with different life experiences or preferences. That’s fine! But these are products created for mass consumption, and it’s difficult if not problematic to ignore some of the common objective measures (RT scores, reviews, ticket sales, etc)

Jedijax719

Deciding for oneself is the way to go for that individual. However, that doesn't help if critics dogpile onto movies that would otherwise be "okay" and somewhere in the 70-something range at worst. Yeah, as someone said "freedom of speech" yes that is all true. But that particular freedom of speech is big business and people make big money with that freedom. And people will always be using social media to make their decisions unfortunately. Studios would also have the right to use their own freedom of speech to, well, criticize critics. And said freedom of speech is, whether people want to believe it or not, having a huge effect on the movie industry.

Farerb

Elemental had an opening weekend domestic box office of $29.6 Million.

60% more than Elemental's opening weekend is $47.3 Million.

That's on the lower end of the Box Office Pro forecast that Wish would debut between $40 to $60 Million in its first three days.

Elemental also had three days opening if I'm not mistaken while Wish has five days.

Farerb

Deciding for oneself is the way to go for that individual. However, that doesn't help if critics dogpile onto movies that would otherwise be "okay" and somewhere in the 70-something range at worst. Yeah, as someone said "freedom of speech" yes that is all true. But that particular freedom of speech is big business and people make big money with that freedom. And people will always be using social media to make their decisions unfortunately. Studios would also have the right to use their own freedom of speech to, well, criticize critics. And said freedom of speech is, whether people want to believe it or not, having a huge effect on the movie industry.
Critics are not obligated to give a movie good reviews just to appease a corporation or its fans.

TP2000

Elemental also had three days opening if I'm not mistaken while Wish has five days.

True. Wish is hard to judge against Elemental because Wish actually has a 6 day weekend for its "opening weekend".

But Box Office Pro has offered a forecast for that entire period for Wish, from afternoon previews on the 21st through Sunday evening the 26th, six days of holiday frenzy.

Wish 6 Day domestic box office forecast = $57 to $86.8 Million

The more traditional first 3 days opening take for Wish is forecast as $40 to $60 Million

Tha Realest

All of those reviews came out within close proximity to one another - what evidence is there of “dog piling” or some other form of collusion?

celluloid

Hey, not every film is going to be a critical darling like Trolls 3: Cash Grab (61% RT, 87% (!) top critics)

I saw Trolls: Band Together for my daughter. I was pretty dissapointed. Mostly because even with expectations low it could not even deliver on the zany tippet humor of the second one and holiday specials which pack a lot, even if all over the place.

For Wish to be a movie to be rated ten percent lower RT critic score of its third installment. Wow. I know it is a critic score but geesh.

Last edited:

Jon Turner

I saw Trolls: Band Together for my daughter. I was pretty dissapointed. Mostly because even with expectations low it could not even deliver on the zany tippet humor of the second one and holiday specials which pack a lot, even if all over the place.

For Wish to be a movie to be rated ten percent lower RT critic score of its third installment. Wow. I know it is a critic score but geesh.
Agreed. I personally thought that Trolls movie looked hideous from the start save for the 2D sequence I saw in the trailer. It made me wince.

Jedijax719

All of those reviews came out within close proximity to one another - what evidence is there of “dog piling” or some other form of collusion?
I didn't say collusion. Dogpiling yes. Independent dogpiling, I suppose. But there is absolutely NO rationale for this movie to get 50% RT score. 70's and even 60's, but 50%? No way.

Disstevefan1

I am happy to see the top critics do not like it! In my experience when the critics hate it, its a movie the general public will like, so I am hopeful.

Ghost93

Something seems up here, their is no shot it’s worse then strange world right?

EDIT: A 50%?
The scores aren't that dissimilar. Wish has 5.9/10 while Strange World has a 6.3/10

I suspect more critics gave Strange World a pass because the film at least tried to do something unique with its story (although it didn't work out at all, in my opinion).

FettFan

Read the plot synopsis of this film, and it seems they decided to steal one of the major plot elements from Michael Ende’s Neverending Story. (and the horrid sequel film)

That is: a character making wishes at the cost of their own memory.

WorldExplorer

Apparently someone leaked the whole artbook. Posting just the page I'm interested in here. Almost definitely not a spoiler (it's a cut concept), but I'll spoil it anyway.

1700576749444.png

I'm calling bad decisions on this film. I love the idea of the star being a person instead of Obvious Marketing Decision #2.

(Can't read what it says on my phone screen.)

Last edited:

Surferboy567

The scores aren't that dissimilar. Wish has 5.9/10 while Strange World has a 6.3/10

I suspect more critics gave Strange World a pass because the film at least tried to do something unique with its story (although it didn't work out at all, in my opinion).
I just thought strange world was an uninteresting and bland movie. I guess there is nothing “wrong“ with it but it really doesn’t deserve the caliber of Disney. Plot twist was fine but even so the movie is just boring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom