Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Jedijax719

Yes it’s obviously the critics’ fault that Iger’s Disney has demonstrated a lack of creative vision. They should all be fired tomorrow, I mean just the ones that gave Wish a mixed-to-neg review. A very rational take.
Okay, so you don't get it. Sorry if the point eluded you. The point is that critics have become petulant little children who would have given the same rotten movies a passing score back in the early 2000's and 1990's. But because of their probable obsession with instant gratification, they just don't seem to like anything. If they see so many movies that they get tired of tropes and themes, it's time for them to get new jobs.

Last edited:

Jon Turner

The percent score on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a rating of the movie. It’s the percentage of how many critics/audience reviews either rated it positive or negative.

So the 51% it has right now doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a 5/10, just that of the 71 reviews it has, 36 enjoyed it and 35 didn’t. Some of the rotten reviews it received wasn’t even necessarily bad, I’ve seen a number of them call the film “enjoyable”, “entertaining”, even “above average”. The common theme is that it’s just not very original, and not what a mammoth like Disney should be putting out for such a milestone.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing as well. Not so much "negative" as it is mildly disappointing. So, you need to take them with a grain of salt.

No, it ain't the critics' fault. It's the management. They need new leaders. (I think I know TalkingHead is being sarcastic.)
Hmmm, interesting article.

Disney Analyst

TsWade2

And in case anyone missed this part, in the quoted section:

"Currently U.S./Canada presales for Wish are 60% ahead of Elemental. Wish is booked at 3,700 theaters with stateside previews starting Tuesday at 3PM. Disney will have some PLF screens on Wish."
AH HA! Take that critics!😈
Halloween Lol GIF by giphystudios2021

Farerb

The percent score on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a rating of the movie. It’s the percentage of how many critics/audience reviews either rated it positive or negative.

So the 51% it has right now doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a 5/10, just that of the 71 reviews it has, 36 enjoyed it and 35 didn’t. Some of the rotten reviews it received wasn’t even necessarily bad, I’ve seen a number of them call the film “enjoyable”, “entertaining”, even “above average”. The common theme is that it’s just not very original, and not what a mammoth like Disney should be putting out for such a milestone.
Wish's average score on RT is 6/10.

Willmark

From another thread I posted this. Seems as Wish is at step 6?

1. Movie gets announced.
2. Trailers get released.
3. Endless back and forth that the movie can't possibly be judged on 1:30 of a trailer.
4. Speculation mounts as good or bad press leaks out.
5. Some other detail of fragment of the movie leaks out. Usually, not good.
6. Queue commentary of "how about you wait until its released."
7. Movie is hailed as a critical triumph or the worst thing ever.
8. Early signs don't look good.
9. Movie is finally released.
10. Attend packed showings.
11. Post about other theaters (optional.)
12. Post about how everyone clapped at the end (optional.)
13. Ignore poor opening day numbers.
14. Ignore poor opening week numbers.
15. Ignore poor international numbers.
16. Blame Americans (especially disliked groups) for poor numbers overseas (actually happens here on this site.)
17. Blame X for the failure of the movie.
18. Ignore the actual reasons for the movies failure.
19. Give up on the movie for reasons.
20. Start at Step 1.

LittleBuford

3. Endless back and forth that the movie can't possibly be judged on 1:30 of a trailer.
Another poster brought this up too, but I honestly have no recollection of any such back-and-forth. Who here has criticised someone for deciding not to see a film based on the trailer?

LittleBuford

From another thread I posted this. Seems as Wish is at step 6?

1. Movie gets announced.
2. Trailers get released.
4. Speculation mounts as good or bad press leaks out.
5. Some other detail of fragment of the movie leaks out. Usually, not good.
6. Queue commentary of "how about you wait until its released."
7. Movie is hailed as a critical triumph or the worst thing ever.
8. Early signs don't look good.
9. Movie is finally released.
10. Attend packed showings.
11. Post about other theaters (optional.)
12. Post about how everyone clapped at the end (optional.)
13. Ignore poor opening day numbers.
14. Ignore poor opening week numbers.
15. Ignore poor international numbers.
16. Blame Americans (especially disliked groups) for poor numbers overseas (actually happens here on this site.)
17. Blame X for the failure of the movie.
18. Ignore the actual reasons for the movies failure.
19. Give up on the movie for reasons.
20. Start at Step 1.
My version is much simpler:

1. Discuss my preliminary thoughts without committing myself to positions that can’t be reached without knowing more.
2. See the film if it appeals to me enough.
3. Share my thought on it, whether positive, negative, or in between.

Jon Turner

Heavy “don’t believe the polls!” coping in this thread
If you mean Rotten Tomatoes, well, honestly, I always decide for myself with any movie I am interested in seeing. I don't put much stock in them these days. I went to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie despite the mixed reviews and found it to be a blast. Much better than the 93 live action film. Likewise with the Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars. (sorry for bringing that into here.) I enjoyed all three movies unreservedly. I can't speak for this one though.
My version is much simpler:

1. Discuss my preliminary thoughts without committing myself to positions that can’t be reached without knowing more.
2. See the film if it appeals to me enough.
3. Share my thought on it, whether positive, negative, or in between.
That sounds like a much healthier way to talk about these things. The other way is totally mindnumbing.

TP2000

And in case anyone missed this part, in the quoted section:

"Currently U.S./Canada presales for Wish are 60% ahead of Elemental. Wish is booked at 3,700 theaters with stateside previews starting Tuesday at 3PM. Disney will have some PLF screens on Wish."

Elemental had an opening weekend domestic box office of $29.6 Million.

60% more than Elemental's opening weekend is $47.3 Million.

That's on the lower end of the Box Office Pro forecast that Wish would debut between $40 to $60 Million in its first three days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom