Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

In the Parks
No

Phroobar

Pocahontas Critics Consensus: Pocahontas means well, and has moments of startling beauty, but it's largely a bland, uninspired effort, with uneven plotting and an unfortunate lack of fun.

Sounds like Wish.

Animaniac93-98

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 53%. That ranks it between Oliver & Company and Home on the Range. They are in Planes: Fire & Rescue badness.

This pooch is screwed.

Of the 17 current "Top Critic" reviews, 11 are negative.

As I said before, it looks like Disney put a target on its back with this one, and anyone who is tried of the Disney corporate product, or its formulaic storytelling is making that clear here:

1700517258226.png

1700517287707.png

Ghost93

Pocahontas Critics Consensus: Pocahontas means well, and has moments of startling beauty, but it's largely a bland, uninspired effort, with uneven plotting and an unfortunate lack of fun.

Sounds like Wish.
Wish feels a bit like Pocahontas in the sense that you can feel this was orchestrated by corporate hit all of the notes of a classic Disney movie and become a big hit, but lacking the passion and inspiration of the truly great Disney films.

Pocahontas was greenlit because Katzenburg and Esiner wanted an Oscar. They made it be a "grown-up" romance to follow in the footsteps of the Beauty and the Beast (which was nominated for Best Picture) and had the Native American theme to follow in the footsteps of Dances with Wolves (which WON Best Picture). The mindset was "Hey, this is the type of stuff that people will see as prestigious and important," not "hey, I have a genuinely great story to tell."

Although I vastly prefer the art style and music of Pocahontas to Wish.

Jon Turner

I don't even consider Pocahontas a remotely bad film at all. It has its heart in the right place and has lovely visuals and music, and on its own it's a solid film, but coming on the heels of The Lion King it comes across as underwhelming by comparison. If Wish is more like Pocahontas I'll take it. I do think some of the reviews which state it's "one of the worst" is a bit over-the-top, because this film isn't even giving me the same negative vibes as Internet and Range did. And ultimately the critics should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Jon Turner

I'm on it!

In order to break even at the global box office, Wish will need to hit the high end of its box office forecasting domestically and then also overperform at the overseas box office. The foreign market must be very strong, even if Wish hits its high end of forecast with an $86 Million 5-day opening holiday weekend and a $289 Million total domestic run.

Wish cost $200 Million to produce, and another $100 Million for its recent carpet-bombing media campaign. (I can't escape the commercials on YouTube or my local TV stations lately!)

Wish
will need to make $315 Million overseas on top of a domestic $290 Million to break even at the global box office.

View attachment 754888
View attachment 754886
That will be difficult considering how divided the critics have been on this one. Then again there have been some Disney movies that received mixed reviews but still did solid business (Chicken Little, believe it or not, was a box office success, despite its negative critical reception, as was Robin Hood, Oliver and Company, Meet the Robinsons, etc.) I'm not getting involved in this. I'm staying neutral.

TP2000

It's now down to 54% on the Tomatometer. But when you toggle to Top Critics, it gets worse by the hour...
Quoting myself because now, just a few hours later, Wish is down to 51% on the Tomatometer.

And in the past few hours the Top Critics rating has declined further, now at 32%.

They spent $200 Million to celebrate their own 100th Anniversary, and they got this?

Phroobar

"Wish is harmless holiday programming for the family, but it's strange to watch a movie about celebrating the individual "star" in everyone that feels like it was made by mandate, not a dream." - Lindsay Bahr AP

"Watching all the tried-and-tested elements fail to coalesce just makes us nostalgic for the classics instead. Let us all wish Disney can find that magic again." Ben Lee the Guardian

"Disney’s “Wish” is the most aggressive piece of Disney propaganda in years." - Brian Tallerico RogerEbert.com

Sir_Cliff

I don't even consider Pocahontas a remotely bad film at all. It has its heart in the right place and has lovely visuals and music, and on its own it's a solid film, but coming on the heels of The Lion King it comes across as underwhelming by comparison. If Wish is more like Pocahontas I'll take it. I do think some of the reviews which state it's "one of the worst" is a bit over-the-top, because this film isn't even giving me the same negative vibes as Internet and Range did. And ultimately the critics should be taken with a grain of salt.
Yes, taken on its own merits as a film rather than a work of history, I am very much Team Pocahontas. I'm probably among the very few who would actually choose to watch Pocahontas over Lion King if given the option!

I really think the character design, animation, and music is among the best Disney has produced. Honestly, a lot of people give props to Hunchback as an effort to make a serious animated feature, but I think Pocahontas works a lot better as a cohesive film rather than a film with some very strong moments and music but tonal whiplash.

Jon Turner

I personally prefer Hunchback because it has more oomph to it. Pocahontas has its moments though.

Apparently WISH is on track to earn $75 million worldwide for opening weekend; whether that's good or bad is up for debate.

BuddyThomas

"Wish is harmless holiday programming for the family, but it's strange to watch a movie about celebrating the individual "star" in everyone that feels like it was made by mandate, not a dream." - Lindsay Bahr AP

"Watching all the tried-and-tested elements fail to coalesce just makes us nostalgic for the classics instead. Let us all wish Disney can find that magic again." Ben Lee the Guardian

"Disney’s “Wish” is the most aggressive piece of Disney propaganda in years." - Brian Tallerico RogerEbert.com
Awesome! Also, I or anyone else on here can cherry pick good reviews and post them, because they exist. However, I’ll wait until I see it myself tomorrow night before opining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom