Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Jedijax719

Rotten scores should be reserved for movies that are SO cringeworthy, they are unwatchable. Movies that are "meh" or "uninspired" (whatever the heck the latter even means) but are still watchable overall should be able to warrant at least a 65%. Critics act like insufferable teenagers who, if something doesn't make them absolutely excited beyond control, they destroy any remote sign of virtue. Most teens can't sit through a full length movie now. The same seems true about critics.

Not sure where Disney goes from here. Everyone likes to see the king fall. What they don't understand is that without a studio that theaters rely on, theaters will crumble. Not a reason to automatically give every movie a high score. But when people start saying "well, they need to make better products" and all products fail, there really ends up being no such thing as a "better" product.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to dislike a movie. But is a 51% REALLY that called for with this one? Starting to really scratch my head and wonder if something else is going on.

BuddyThomas

I personally prefer Hunchback because it has more oomph to it. Pocahontas has its moments though.

Apparently WISH is on track to earn $75 million worldwide for opening weekend; whether that's good or bad is up for debate.
I’m sure the usual suspects on here will find a way to twist a $75 million opening into a terrible thing.

Sir_Cliff

I personally prefer Hunchback because it has more oomph to it. Pocahontas has its moments though.
I liked Hunchback at the time and still love the music, but I find the film a bit hard to watch now.

For me, the gargoyles just don't work as comic relief and the line "pour the wine and cut the cheese" with fart noises still makes me cringe! I thought Meeko, Flit, and Percy and silent comic relief worked a lot better within Pocahontas which is, again, why I think it is a far more cohesive film. Still, I wouldn't hate on anyone for loving Hunchback!

As for Wish, the reviews are certainly disappointing. Unless this somehow ends up a big hit, I have a feeling there will be a postmortem coming up very soon at WDFA.

Phroobar

Apparently WISH is on track to earn $75 million worldwide for opening weekend; whether that's good or bad is up for debate.
I like Hunchback too. It follows the book better.
Pocahontas has really nothing to do with real history but does look pretty.

Sir_Cliff

Not sure where Disney goes from here. Everyone likes to see the king fall. What they don't understand is that without a studio that theaters rely on, theaters will crumble. Not a reason to automatically give every movie a high score. But when people start saying "well, they need to make better products" and all products fail, there really ends up being no such thing as a "better" product.
I'm rooting for Wish to succeed as I want more original animated features, but I also want them to make good original animated features. I honestly don't think there is a bias among critics against Disney as even Strange World managed a 72% fresh. What remains to be seen is whether this is a case where the taste of critics and audiences differs.

Ghost93

While both films are severely flawed, I admire the Hunchback of Notre Dame/Pocahontas era for trying to push Disney animation in a more sophisticated direction that tackles deeper themes. When I was a kid, I appreciated movies that felt a bit more grown-up in tone. Of the two I think The Hunchback of Notre Dame has much more of an emotional punch as Quasimodo, Esmeralda and Frollo are simply more compelling characters than Pocahontas, John Smith and Governor Ratcliffe.

Jon Turner

While both films are severely flawed, I admire the Hunchback of Notre Dame/Pocahontas era for trying to push Disney animation in a more sophisticated direction that tackles deeper themes. When I was a kid, I appreciated movies that felt a bit more grown-up in tone. Of the two I think The Hunchback of Notre Dame has much more of an emotional punch as Quasimodo, Esmeralda and Frollo are simply more compelling characters than Pocahontas, John Smith and Governor Ratcliffe.
Definitely. I connected a lot more to Hunchback. Its musical score is also arguably stronger than Pocahontas.

Sir_Cliff

Frollo was a scarier bad guy over Ratcliffe. He would burn down Paris to find the girl. Even his song was better.
I will admit that Ratcliffe was not the strongest villain. I also think the character design was the weakest in that film. He is quite a meet-and-greet, though!

1700526619160.png

Jedijax719

I'm going to piggyback off of my own last post and say that if box office tallies fall across the board, critics need to at least be held somewhat accountable by studios. Critics get a free reign at crushing movies and stomping on them with absolutely zero accountability or retribution. And then we have situations where writers and actors strike? Yeah, something has to be said about the effects of online reviews these days. I'm not saying that all movies need to have ratings in the ramparts, but some rotten movies have NO business being rotten. If the movie industry falls short, critics should likewise be falling short financially. They get off scott free and that sucks. That's like teachers being fired because some students do not find their lessons as entertaining as a 3-right circus.

Figment1984

Rotten scores should be reserved for movies that are SO cringeworthy, they are unwatchable. Movies that are "meh" or "uninspired" (whatever the heck the latter even means) but are still watchable overall should be able to warrant at least a 65%. Critics act like insufferable teenagers who, if something doesn't make them absolutely excited beyond control, they destroy any remote sign of virtue. Most teens can't sit through a full length movie now. The same seems true about critics.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to dislike a movie. But is a 51% REALLY that called for with this one? Starting to really scratch my head and wonder if something else is going on.
The percent score on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a rating of the movie. It’s the percentage of how many critics/audience reviews either rated it positive or negative.

So the 51% it has right now doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a 5/10, just that of the 71 reviews it has, 36 enjoyed it and 35 didn’t. Some of the rotten reviews it received wasn’t even necessarily bad, I’ve seen a number of them call the film “enjoyable”, “entertaining”, even “above average”. The common theme is that it’s just not very original, and not what a mammoth like Disney should be putting out for such a milestone.

Disstevefan1

The percent score on Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a rating of the movie. It’s the percentage of how many critics/audience reviews either rated it positive or negative.

So the 51% it has right now doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a 5/10, just that of the 71 reviews it has, 36 enjoyed it and 35 didn’t. Some of the rotten reviews it received wasn’t even necessarily bad, I’ve seen a number of them call the film “enjoyable”, “entertaining”, even “above average”. The common theme is that it’s just not very original, and not what a mammoth like Disney should be putting out for such a milestone.
I don’t go by the reviewers, I go by the audience. Let’s see what happens.

TP2000

I’m sure the usual suspects on here will find a way to twist a $75 million opening into a terrible thing.

That's easy to do with facts and data, because a $75 Million opening at the global box office for Wish would be terrible.

Disastrous really, if Wish only gets $75 Million on its opening weekend globally.

Opening Weekend Global Box Office, Adjusted for Inflation
Frozen II, 2019 = $271 Million
Ralph Breaks the Internet, 2018 = $136 Million
Moana, 2016 = $113 Million
Zootopia, 2025 = $159 Million

You'd have to dredge up Strange World to make a $75 Million opening global weekend seem good. But if you're using Strange World as a comparison for a game called "It's Not That Bad!" then you have already lost that game. :(

Strange World, 2022 = $23 Million

A Dangerous Game To Play.jpg

Ghost93

I'm going to piggyback off of my own last post and say that if box office tallies fall across the board, critics need to at least be held somewhat accountable by studios. Critics get a free reign at crushing movies and stomping on them with absolutely zero accountability or retribution. And then we have situations where writers and actors strike? Yeah, something has to be said about the effects of online reviews these days. I'm not saying that all movies need to have ratings in the ramparts, but some rotten movies have NO business being rotten. If the movie industry falls short, critics should likewise be falling short financially. They get off scott free and that sucks. That's like teachers being fired because some students do not find their lessons as entertaining as a 3-right circus.
Um, NO. As much as I often strongly disagree with critics, what you are saying flies in the face of the freedom of speech and people being able to share their opinions honestly.

Critics tend to be harsher on movies because they see way more movies than you and I and are more likely to be bothered by cliches and tropes.

Disney Analyst

Disney original animation is looking at a comeback this Thanksgiving with the princess pic Wish with as much as $45M-$50M over 5-days after suffering a setback over last year’s holiday with Strangeworld which did $18.8M.

With the strikes over, and Thanksgiving week a primetime for moviegoing with K-12 schools off 47%/colleges off 18% today rising to 100% apiece on Thursday and Friday, there’s a lot of hope from Hollywood for a bountiful box office. All movies at the Wednesday-Sunday Thanksgiving B.O. last year grossed $134M. Remember Black Friday is one of the richest days of the year at the domestic B.O.

The overseas release for Wish is a staggered approach ala Disney/Pixar’s Elemental with only 43% of the foreign B.O. marketplace going this week including major markets UK, Spain, Mexico, China, as well as India, Benelux, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Philippines. All in, $25M is expected from abroad where Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated for a global opening weekend of $60M and a running worldwide total by EOD Sunday of $75M.

The movie, directed by Frozen franchise co-helmer Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn, follows a young girl named Asha (voiced by West Side Story Oscar winner Ariana DeBose) who wishes on a star and gets a more direct answer than she bargained for when a trouble-making star comes down from the sky to join her. The movie is inspired by Disney’s centennial and centers on the studio’s theme of wishes coming true. Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice wrote the songs with Disney orchestrator Dave Metzger penning the score.

Mexico will kick things off on Thursday in a rare turn. And since France isn’t going until next week, there is no offshore Wednesday market opening. The UK, Spain and the less reliable Hollywood market China –the latter a projected $5M for the movie’s offshore launch– join Friday. We expect the top Wish openers in this early offshore frame to be a mix of UK, Mexico and China.

If all goes well, over 3-days, it could be the best Friday-Sunday domestic take for an original feature toon post-pandemic with $35M after the opening of Disney/Pixar’s Elemental at $29.6M. Currently U.S./Canada presales for Wish are 60% ahead of Elemental. Wish is booked at 3,700 theaters with stateside previews starting Tuesday at 3PM. Disney will have some PLF screens on Wish.

The comp here at the domestic B.O. is this past weekend’s Trolls Band Together ($30.6M opening) from Universal/DreamWorks Animation as well as Disney’s original animated musical movie, Encanto, which braved Covid Thanksgiving 2021 with a $40.5M 5-day, and $27.2M 3-day.

Excluding China, new IP Elemental (which opened into holidays) debuted to $21.6M in like-for-likes at current exchange rates. Similarly, Moana did $22.4M and Encanto $14M in their comparable bows.

Next weekend adds France and Germany, followed by Japan on December 15, Italy on December 21, Australia on December 26 and Korea and Brazil in early January.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/wish-napoleon-box-office-thanksgiving-projection-1235630318/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom