Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Jon Turner

Huh...there's an idea there. A great idea. If Disney made a full-length Disney Multiverse movie, expanding on Once Upon A Studio (which is freaking great), I wonder if that wouldn't be a big hit. I sure as heck would go see it. AS LONG AS IT WAS JUST DISNEY ANIMATION - no Pixar, no Star Wars, Marvel or the puppets. I think I'd love that. I bet a lot of other people would too.

It's interesting to note how much more dynamic the 2D animation is in Once Upon A Studio, as opposed to the CGI. Much more energetic and expressive. It brings to mind that I, like many others, wish for a new full-length Disney 2D movie (if it's of legendary Disney quality). If Disney can learn any lesson from the success and overwhelming public approval of Studio, it's that there's a huge hunger out there for classic Disney, as opposed to preachy PC live-action-remake Disney. Will Disney learn that lesson? Under its current management, likely no. Tragic.
Which is why I feel they need new management instead of anything else. But they are moving ahead with TIANA on Disney Plus and training 2D animators, so who knows?

BuddyThomas

Funny that this was designed to be the 100th anniversary mega-meta-tribute to Disney animation’s glory days and it seemingly only offers more proof those days are in the past.

Meanwhile the animated Spider-verse movie that came out a few months ago felt like a genuine piece of narrative pop art in the finest Disney tradition. Exciting, dynamic, a feast for the eyes.
So you’ve seen it, have you?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I could see the movie becoming a surprise hit and I can see it flopping. As I said earlier, I think kids will really enjoy Wish, but the movie contains nothing for adults that they haven't seen a gazillion times before. So at the end of the day, it comes down to whether parents think it's worth taking the family to the movies to shut the kids up for two hours or not.
…you’re really out on a limb in a storm there, hoss 😂

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Last I heard they are doing it at the Vancouver Disney Studio. But apparently they are having supervision from Mark Henn, or at least that's what I heard.
Ah, I didn't realize Mark Henn was involved! That is very good news indeed! I didn't even know Disney had a Vancouver studio.

TP2000

It opens in two days…so the box office tracking data is out there…

Paging @TP2000

I'm on it!

In order to break even at the global box office, Wish will need to hit the high end of its box office forecasting domestically and then also overperform at the overseas box office. The foreign market must be very strong, even if Wish hits its high end of forecast with an $86 Million 5-day opening holiday weekend and a $289 Million total domestic run.

Wish cost $200 Million to produce, and another $100 Million for its recent carpet-bombing media campaign. (I can't escape the commercials on YouTube or my local TV stations lately!)

Wish
will need to make $315 Million overseas on top of a domestic $290 Million to break even at the global box office.

A4.jpg

A3.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm on it!

In order to break even at the global box office, Wish will need to hit the high end of its box office forecasting domestically and then also overperform at the overseas box office. The foreign market must be very strong, even if Wish hits its high end of forecast with an $86 Million 5-day opening holiday weekend and a $289 Million total domestic run.

Wish cost $200 Million to produce, and another $100 Million for its recent carpet-bombing media campaign. (I can't escape the commercials on YouTube or my local TV stations lately!)

Wish
will need to make $315 Million overseas on top of a domestic $290 Million to break even at the global box office.

View attachment 754888
View attachment 754886
The press thinks it low end on the opening - like $50 - so it will have to overperform and have legs in the next 2-4 weeks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom