Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Magenta Panther

It is the 100th Anniversary special after all. Maybe if it went into a full-blown Once Upon a Studio multiverse it would have made more sense?

Huh...there's an idea there. A great idea. If Disney made a full-length Disney Multiverse movie, expanding on Once Upon A Studio (which is freaking great), I wonder if that wouldn't be a big hit. I sure as heck would go see it. AS LONG AS IT WAS JUST DISNEY ANIMATION - no Pixar, no Star Wars, Marvel or the puppets. I think I'd love that. I bet a lot of other people would too.

It's interesting to note how much more dynamic the 2D animation is in Once Upon A Studio, as opposed to the CGI. Much more energetic and expressive. It brings to mind that I, like many others, wish for a new full-length Disney 2D movie (if it's of legendary Disney quality). If Disney can learn any lesson from the success and overwhelming public approval of Studio, it's that there's a huge hunger out there for classic Disney, as opposed to preachy PC live-action-remake Disney. Will Disney learn that lesson? Under its current management, likely no. Tragic.

celluloid

Or what? The overall company continues to be profitable, held up primarily by Parks as you know. So really what is going to happen? Besides maybe a management shake up, which you want anyways. Its not like the company is going to go out of business.

This is particularly troubling for a leadership culture who has just announced they are really only interested in producing things that are from the film library. Not a great plan when those are underperforming.

Miss Rori

What makes you say she’s rotten?
I think the poster meant that it's hard to believe a Disney Princess-style musical could be bad. Sure, not everybody likes Snow White, or Beauty and the Beast, or Frozen, or (and this is where the "style" comes in) Encanto. But traditionally, these are the bread-and-butter animated features of the company, the ones that helped get them out of ruts or were otherwise creative high points many still enjoy today. So that the response to Wish, the movie that's supposed to be the culmination of Disney's first 100 years even, has been ranging from mildly disappointed (even most of the positive audience reviews are tempered: "I liked it BUT...") to vitriolic suggests that the Walt Disney Company can't even do an engaging fairy tale movie anymore, to a lack of quality control.

Disstevefan1

This is particularly troubling for a leadership culture who has just announced they are really only interested in producing things that are from the film library. Not a great plan when those are underperforming.
They must complete their goal to correct everything in the film library to be diverse, inclusive and corrected for modern sensibilities.

LittleBuford

I think the poster meant that it's hard to believe a Disney Princess-style musical could be bad. Sure, not everybody likes Snow White, or Beauty and the Beast, or Frozen, or (and this is where the "style" comes in) Encanto. But traditionally, these are the bread-and-butter animated features of the company, the ones that helped get them out of ruts or were otherwise creative high points many still enjoy today. So that the response to Wish, the movie that's supposed to be the culmination of Disney's first 100 years even, has been ranging from mildly disappointed (even most of the positive audience reviews are tempered: "I liked it BUT...") to vitriolic suggests that the Walt Disney Company can't even do an engaging fairy tale movie anymore, to a lack of quality control.
I understand that the critics don’t like it, but the reviews left here by fellow posters don’t exactly support the “rotten” characterisation. I’m going to wait to see it before forming a judgement.

celluloid

I understand that the critics don’t like it, but the reviews left here by fellow posters don’t exactly support the “rotten” characterisation. I’m going to wait to see it before forming a judgement.

Well it is not an all or nothing. Plenty of critics liked it with varying degrees. RT just takes the average. There are still people who don't think it is Rotten. But the person was going by the shock that it was rated so low as a consensus while being a DIsney Princess movie, which has never really happened before.

TalkingHead

Funny that this was designed to be the 100th anniversary mega-meta-tribute to Disney animation’s glory days and it seemingly only offers more proof those days are in the past.

Meanwhile the animated Spider-verse movie that came out a few months ago felt like a genuine piece of narrative pop art in the finest Disney tradition. Exciting, dynamic, a feast for the eyes.

Jon Turner

I am all for differing opinions. What I don't like is when people BULLY others for having them. I'm used to it. But in the case of WISH it sounds like there are several camps. There are some who think WISH is terrific and are determined to defend it to the bitter end, to the point where they belittle others for thinking otherwise. Then there are those who detest WISH and want to gloat on it as another example of Disney losing their way, and bullying others into seeing things their way. Then there are people who just express their opinions one way or another and just don't get mixed up in them.

As someone who was once in the first camp long ago I know too well how frustrating it can be to argue with people who don't agree with you and unintentionally coming across as though you are criticizing THEM for their beliefs. I was guilty of doing this too for some of the Ghibli dubs Disney made. It caused me nothing but grief. I realized that the better option was to put those people on ignore and stick with people who share your views, or just avoid any such conversations altogether and like what you like.

Now I personally am not expecting WISH to be an outright amazing movie. The reviews HAVE cooled my expectations and I don't expect to love it. However, I am not expecting it to be anywhere near the "worst Disney film of all time." I already know what movies those are. HOME ON THE RANGE and RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET were those two awful movies. WISH doesn't strike me as anywhere near on the level of those two, but not as classic status. As long as I go in with that mindset when I see the film this Wednesday, hopefully it'll play better for me, but I'm not expecting it to be anything amazing.

Jon Turner

Funny that this was designed to be the 100th anniversary mega-meta-tribute to Disney animation’s glory days and it seemingly only offers more proof those days are in the past.
Or it might be that the filmmakers went about it the wrong way. It happens. There are effective ways to pay such tribute without overdoing it. Enchanted was a delightful way of doing so. And even though I haven't seen Once Upon A Studio, apparently that short does an excellent job at it, too. It sounds like that with Wish, the filmmakers are in a back and forth struggle; wanting to approach that same quality as the classic 2D films, but at the same time too scared to fully commit to it. I will say, though, that this film's visual style does come much closer to emulating it than any of the other Disney CG movies. I've largely stayed away from them because to me they all look blandly generic, samey. This one at least attempts to break that mold, and for that I can't fault Wish altogether. But to be fair, it does sound like Disney is taking small steps to going back to 2D. They're still training 2D animators, even though they're not there yet. They issued a tremendously well received short. They are doing an all new series with 2D animation (Tiana). So it sounds like they are trying to get there. What they really need, though, is better management and storytelling. They need to make the sort of film that has that MUST SEE status, not a merely OK kind of film, which is what Wish unfortunately sounds like it is.

Ghost93

I could see the movie becoming a surprise hit and I can see it flopping. As I said earlier, I think kids will really enjoy Wish, but the movie contains nothing for adults that they haven't seen a gazillion times before. So at the end of the day, it comes down to whether parents think it's worth taking the family to the movies to shut the kids up for two hours or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom