Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Magenta Panther

Wow, this thing's arriving with a splat. Can't say I'm surprised, given its trailers. Bland girl trying much too hard to be adorkable, rubber-doll CGI animation, smirky goat making butt jokes, sure seemed like a fail to me.

But it's early yet. The important thing is the box office. We'll see.

Phroobar

Wow, this thing's arriving with a splat. Can't say I'm surprised, given its trailers. Bland girl trying much too hard to be adorkable, rubber-doll CGI animation, smirky goat making butt jokes, sure seemed like a fail to me.

But it's early yet. The important thing is the box office. We'll see.
But it has a disabled girl that might be in secretly in love with Asha. Okay, well we don't know that.

Sir_Cliff

People talk about RT scores not affecting box office and that is true about some films (we're looking at you, Mario). However, with some, it really does matter. Mario has a following. People tend to really look at RT scores of Disney films these days with Disney under scrutiny and all. When comparing to Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Raya, Encanto, and even Frozen 2, the score for Wish is going to be BLARING. It will still get families with, shall I say, little girls. But other audiences who otherwise turned out for movies like Frozen and Moana, would give this a pass, especially in the age of D+ which Frozen and Moana didn't originally have.

I say that Wish will end up in the Encanto box office range of around $100 million domestic. Not great considering we aren't in the pandemic any longer. Yes, these are VERY tough times for Disney movies for sure. MCU has been on the down swing, remakes aren't living up quite as much as hoped or expected, Pixar is struggling and can't make $200 domestic, and now we have a new Disney princess movie that is rotten. Disney can't catch a break.
I have to agree that the film trending into "rotten" territory might have negative effect on the film's box office if the reviews don't improve.

I would prefer the film be both good and do well as I'd like to see more original animated features. I'm certainly not sympathetic to the "burn it all down" approach many take which seems to find Disney collapsing perhaps irrevocably a preferable outcome to it having any successes under current management. If the film receives lacklustre reviews and struggles at the box office, though, it again signals that they really need to work not just on marketing but the creative side of the business. I'm not sure this is such an issue with Pixar, to be honest, where the critical misfires seem to be fewer and perhaps just Lightyear.

Jon Turner

The audience screenings are today though; we'll see how that goes. I'm not writing it off just yet. If audiences respond to the film then maybe it'll be OK. It sounds like Once Upon A Studio though might have succeeded where Wish might not have theoretically speaking.

TalkingHead

Metacritic is at 50.

Positive: 4
Mixed: 12
Negative: 4

What’s more amazing is the highest positive is a 3/4. When was the last time a major tentpole didn’t have some outliers giving it 4 stars or 3.5 stars? This thing must be incredibly uneven.

Animaniac93-98

I think Disney all too easily set themselves up for criticism with this one.

From both a creative and marketing standpoint, Wish is being closely tied to the idea of Disney animated legacy. It follows a certain formula, features lots of references to past Disney movies, is hyped as the culmination of Disney's 100th anniversary celebration and paired with a cartoon showcasing decades worth of characters etc

It's not a movie that can stand on its own merits. Its begging to be compared to everything that came before it and of course people are going to walk way thinking "it's not as good as x", or "I preferred y". Or that the movie should represent some technological or storytelling breakthrough that elevates it above the rest.

Migration will probably just be another dumb, forgettable kids movie...but no one is expecting more from it.

Jon Turner

I think Disney all too easily set themselves up for criticism with this one.

From both a creative and marketing standpoint, Wish is being closely tied to the idea of Disney animated legacy. It follows a certain formula, features lots of references to past Disney movies, is hyped as the culmination of Disney's 100th anniversary celebration and paired with a cartoon showcasing decades worth of characters etc

It's not a movie that can stand on its own merits. Its begging to be compared to everything that came before it and of course people are going to walk way thinking "it's not as good as x", or "I preferred y". Or that the movie should represent some technological or storytelling breakthrough that elevates it above the rest.

Migration will probably just be another dumb, forgettable kids movie...but no one is expecting more from it.
Have you seen the film yet?

Disney Rocks

I just wonder if the writing process of this movie was smoother than the last time Jennifer Lee penned a script herself...where they didn't even know what the emotional climax of Frozen 2 would be a mere few months before release date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom