Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Surferboy567

Just an fyi, what I assume to be the entire movie’s plot has leaked via a little golden book. I imagine things are glossed over but from the book, plot seems like it is a classic Disney animation mixed with some modern stories. The trailers also seem to line up with this little golden book.

To be clear, I mean the good parts of modern stories. It’s very hard to talk about dancing around certain things. It’s hard to gauge how the actual movie will be given a little golden book plot. I think the bones are definitely there though.

Last edited:

Ghost93

Honestly, this song doesn't do it for me. It sounds like it's trying to be clever and fast-paced like Lin-Manuel Miranda's style, but it is nowhere near as clever and the lyrics don't fit together or have internal rhyme nearly as skillfully as Miranda's lyrics. Instead, we just get a song that's difficult to sing along to.

Also: "Throw caution to every warning sign" makes zero sense, and as far as I can tell, has never been an expression.

Hopeful the other songs are better than this, but if they're starting with this one, that doesn't bode well.
I like the tune and Ariana Debose's voice but agree that the lyrics are confusing.

Farerb

Honestly, this song doesn't do it for me. It sounds like it's trying to be clever and fast-paced like Lin-Manuel Miranda's style, but it is nowhere near as clever and the lyrics don't fit together or have internal rhyme nearly as skillfully as Miranda's lyrics. Instead, we just get a song that's difficult to sing along to.

Also: "Throw caution to every warning sign" makes zero sense, and as far as I can tell, has never been an expression.

Hopeful the other songs are better than this, but if they're starting with this one, that doesn't bode well.
I heard Chris Pine's song is a rap.

LittleBuford

I personally like it quite a bit.

"Throw caution to every warning sign" isn't the expression, but I think it's inaccurate to say it makes no sense. All of us would immediately understand what she means by it.

In the Parks
No
I personally like it quite a bit.

"Throw caution to every warning sign" isn't the expression, but I think it's inaccurate to say it makes no sense. All of us would immediately understand what she means by it.
But actually think about it. "Throwing caution to the wind" could be rephrased as "discarding caution by tossing it so it blows away in the wind." The wind is merely a metaphor for discard or garbage or throwing away. It's basically "throwing caution IN or INTO the wind."

A warning sign is something that "cautions" someone from doing something or brings about "caution." So if Asha is "throwing caution to every warning sign," is the implication that she is "throwing her caution in the face of the warning signs" saying "Ha, I won't listen to you!"?

My point is it's very clumsy songwriting and totally unnecessary for her to say that. I suggest this instead:

So I look up at the stars to guide me
And throw caution to every wind that blows
If knowing what it could be is what drives me
Then let me be the first to go...

Sing what I just wrote to the same melody...it fits better, doesn't it?

And this is the main problem I have with the song. The melody is fine; it's just that the lyrics are trying to do too much. Imitation of Lin-Manuel Miranda is a difficult assignment, and to me, this song just doesn't measure up. We'll see how the next one goes!

LittleBuford

But actually think about it. "Throwing caution to the wind" could be rephrased as "discarding caution by tossing it so it blows away in the wind." The wind is merely a metaphor for discard or garbage or throwing away. It's basically "throwing caution IN or INTO the wind."

A warning sign is something that "cautions" someone from doing something or brings about "caution." So if Asha is "throwing caution to every warning sign," is the implication that she is "throwing her caution in the face of the warning signs" saying "Ha, I won't listen to you!"?
I get it. It’s like a mixed metaphor. But it’s nonetheless clear what she means (just as it’s clear what people mean when they technically misuse the phrase “beg the question”).

My point is it's very clumsy songwriting and totally unnecessary for her to say that. I suggest this instead:

So I look up at the stars to guide me
And throw caution to every wind that blows
If knowing what it could be is what drives me
Then let me be the first to go...

Sing what I just wrote to the same melody...it fits better, doesn't it?

And this is the main problem I have with the song. The melody is fine; it's just that the lyrics are trying to do too much. Imitation of Lin-Manuel Miranda is a difficult assignment, and to me, this song just doesn't measure up. We'll see how the next one goes!
It’s a matter of taste, so I respect your opinion. To my ears, though, the song sounds good.

BuddyThomas

Just listened to it and it sounds like classic Disney to me. I Ioved it.

As to someone's comment that "Throw caution to every warning sign makes zero sense, and as far as I can tell, has never been an expression", all I have to say is..............HUH????????

Isn't it a good thing that writers are using original lyrics and not relying on pre-existing stuff? Why would you want writers to use lines that have already been "expressions", as you put it?

In any case, the song sounds pretty great to me, and I can't wait to see the film.

Tha Realest

They need a better trailer because from what I've seen there is little show so far to get people out to see this
Presales have been going on for a few days and we haven’t read any Disney PR about how it’s been outpacing other films of note. We’ll see how things are looking when the early projections come out next week. I do think it’ll get a decent boost the week of (Thanksgiving) but not sure how much the tracking projections will already factor that in

TalkingHead

Dunno if this was posted early. Spoilers, obviously, but here’s a video of someone reading the book:

Since matriarchy is in this season maybe it’ll catch on with the Barbie crowd. Guess that’s all you need for a hit, but it’s going to get raked over the coals re: messaging, politics, etc. It’s kinda like Battleship Potemkin for Swifties.

Magenta Panther

"When You Wish Upon A Star" this new song ain't. Meh tune and overwritten lyrics. No "hook" or "angle" in it, as Irving Berlin might say. Plus an extremely bland leading lady and generic goat. Yawn.

Anyway, presales for this flick so far have been lousy, according to the forums at Boxoffice.com. But it's early yet.

Disney Analyst

Lots of interesting details on the film here:

Aside from a prominent cameo in Once Upon a Studio, Snow White remains an inspiration to the current movie-makers at Disney. That includes Buck and Veerasunthorn, who used hand-drawn animation for the environments of Wish alongside the CG-animated Asha and Magnifico as a nod to the watercolors used for the 1937 film. In a slightly more overt nod to the classic, Asha maintains seven close friends in the kingdom of Rosas. Not only do each resemble one of the seven dwarfs, but their names also share the same initials. Dahlia (Jennifer Kumiyama) boasts brains and glasses like Doc, Simon (Evan Peters) is just as fatigued as Sleepy, Gabo (Harvey Guillén) is a tad Grumpy, Safi (Ramy Youssef) is constantly sneezing, Dario (Jon Rudnitsky) has the same wiggling ears and rosy cheeks as Dopey, Hal (Niko Vargas) smiles as much as Happy, and Bazeema (Della Saba) is as painfully shy as Bashful.

"When the idea came up of [Asha] having a group of friends, we thought, 'Well, it's the 100th anniversary. Could we do sevenfriends? Can we actually do this?'" Buck recalls of concocting just one of dozens upon dozens of similar legacy nods to the Golden Age era of classic Disney sprinkled throughout the film. "This movie has been so much fun to bring out all these things that mean so much to us. And if the audience doesn't pick up on it, that's okay. Hopefully, the characters stand on their own.”

At the start of Wish, Buck and Veerasunthorn, who first worked together on Frozen, pulled one image from each Disney Animation film and placed them together on a bulletin board to see the entire breadth of the studio's work. One could consider Pine's Magnifico to be a legacy nod, as he evokes the same vibe as the Evil Queen in Snow White or Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty. (And the visuals of his dark magic may remind audiences of another classic Disney baddie.) Lee considers Magnifico to be "a real delicious villain," which is something folks at the studio were craving when thinking of a movie that would embody the 100-year legacy. "I was terrified of being a part of creating it, because how do you compete with some of the incredible villains that have been in the cinematic canon across the board? It's a scary undertaking, but who wouldn't want to try?"

If Magnifico represents old-school Disney, then Asha is very much a modern Disney heroine. Living a perfectly content life with her grandfather and mother, years after her dad passed away, she scores an interview to become the king's personal assistant. At first, she aligns with Magnifico's creed, which is to protect the kingdom's wishes. Once you offer up your wish to him, you forget it so that you don't have to suffer the grief of a wish unfulfilled, as Magnifico once did. But when Asha discovers the sorcerer will only use his magic to grant a select few wishes, leaving the rest to waste away in his castle, she sets out to release them with the help of a magical star that comes to life in response to her wish.

Unlike with their villain, the filmmakers didn't base Asha on any past Disney hero. "We wanted her to be her own person," Veerasunthorn says. "We were inspired by Ariana and what she brings to the recording session. Not only her performance, but as a person." For the West Side Story Oscar winner's first recording session, Veerasunthorn and Buck placed a squishy ball on the end of a selfie stick and waved it in front of DeBose's face as a physical reference for Star. "It was so much fun and so quirky," Veerasunthorn recalls. "That's when we got to know what she could really bring to Asha."

Similar to Anna, Mirabel, or Moana, Lee sees Asha as a modern Disney heroine — she doesn't need anyone to save her. "They have to fight their way through," she says. "To me, the greatest power of a fairy tale is when it's giving you ways to cope through something and watching Asha, very relatably, be that kind of person that's like all of us." Reflective of the film's title and Disney's anthem, Lee points to the power of Asha's wish. "[It's] her journey to say, 'I wish for more for my family, for my community,' and she's going to try to make that happen. She's going to suffer the consequences of those choices, as well as discover the true leader she is inside. She's evolving. In the past, what you'd see a lot of is the character stays the same and others are changed by that character. And that's great, but with modern storytelling, we want to give the challenge to that main character and we want to see her triumph. She doesn't do it alone, no one does in life, but she still has to make the hard choices." It may feel like an ambitious task to make a film that bridges the past and present of a 100-year legacy of storytelling, but having worked with Buck directing Frozen 2, Lee says they would often joke, "If we survived our first musical sequel to a project that a lot of people were like, 'How do you dare do another one?' we can't be afraid to do this."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom