Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

This really looks INCREDIBLE. I haven't felt this inspired to catch a Disney film in theatres in a long while.

I like the new song featured in the international trailer.

This isn't nearly as egregious a disparity as the Frozen marketing, where the U.S. trailers were selling an Ice-Age-like comedy centered around Olaf while the Japanese trailers were selling an epic and serious adventure.

Sir_Cliff

The British counterpart, Strictly Come Dancing, remains wildly popular.
The Strictly Disney tribute just actually popped up on my YouTube feed, which I assume is because I watch enough Disney videos as I don't think I'd seen Strictly Come Dancing before! I'm sure I'll now get plenty more recommendations as I watched it. Must admit that it did satisfy my particular affection for Pocahontas!

Wish didn't feature, but this was the Strictly Come Dancing tribute to Disney's 100th if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

Jedijax719

Releasing the full version of the song in advance is a very smart thing to do. My daughter was 2 when Frozen came out and we didn't see it in the theater. We pre-ordered it and watched it the day it came out on blue ray when she was 3 but had watched the video for Let It Go for quite a while. That got her excited for it.

BuddyThomas

If I am going to be perfectly honest, that little-yellow-star -wish-thing seems bit too cutesey-poo for my taste, but that's just based on the trailer. Happy to see the full movie next month and will reserve judgment until then.

In the Parks
No
I will also admit I have an attachment to Alan Menken's music, and I feel it would have been extremely appropriate for him to be the one providing the songs for this film, considering the impact his music had on Disney Animation for the last 35 years. Instead they just have him writing new songs for the live-action remakes.

Ghost93

I will also admit I have an attachment to Alan Menken's music, and I feel it would have been extremely appropriate for him to be the one providing the songs for this film, considering the impact his music had on Disney Animation for the last 35 years. Instead they just have him writing new songs for the live-action remakes.
I feel Menken may have lost his touch a bit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his music for Little Shop of Horrors, The Little Mermaid, Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Enchanted. It's insane how many classic soundtracks he is responsible for and the man is an undeniable legend.

But Enchanted was his last great film soundtrack, more than 15 years ago. Tangled's music was extremely bland and "When Will My Life Begin" might be the worst "I Want" song to be sung by a Disney protagonist, only in competition with "A Place Called Slaughter Race," another bad Disney song from Menken.

The new songs he wrote for the live-action remakes are decent but don't compare to the classics. I'm glad the Lopezes took over for Frozen/The Snow Queen, as the samples of his music from that film weren't nearly as impressive.

In the Parks
No
I feel Menken may have lost his touch a bit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his music for Little Shop of Horrors, The Little Mermaid, Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Enchanted. It's insane how many classic soundtracks he is responsible for and the man is an undeniable legend.

But Enchanted was his last great film soundtrack, more than 15 years ago. Tangled's music was extremely bland and "When Will My Life Begin" might be the worst "I Want" song to be sung by a Disney protagonist, only in competition with "A Place Called Slaughter Race," another bad Disney song from Menken.

The new songs he wrote for the live-action remakes are decent but don't compare to the classics. I'm glad the Lopezes took over for Frozen/The Snow Queen, as the samples of his music from that film weren't nearly as impressive.
I know what you mean...I don't necessarily agree with all of it, because I personally like the songs in Tangled, but he has been in a rut, and I think part of that is the assignments he is given. He is stuck writing additional songs for movies that were already made once OR writing parodies of his own music like "Slaughter Race."

Glenn Slater's lyrics can't compare to Stephen Schwartz or Howard Ashman, either, and that brings his more recent stuff down a notch. Though Schwartz's lyrics were very meh for Disenchanted, and that hurt the songs as well.

I'll be really interested to see how Menken's songs turn out for the Sundance project he's working on. I still think the man can write a melody better than anyone.

Farerb

I personally prefer Tangled's songs to Frozen's, but I agree that they are bland and his last great work was on Enchanted (though there are some great songs in Tangled the Series, like Waiting in the Wings).

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
So in the preshow for Nightmare Before Christmas, a person named Perri Nemirof (sp?) says that Wish is an origin story of the wishing star. I hadn't heard that before - is it common knowledge?

BrianLo

This isn't nearly as egregious a disparity as the Frozen marketing

There's a fascinating article or short documentary somewhere in time where we get to see how terribly marketing/products was lied to by the Studio. I truly think marketing was under the impression Hans was the good guy.

It's also kind of nice they just released a random short of Olaf/Sven as their teaser for the movie (which didn't actually occur in the movie). Though it wasn't particularly well received either as a sales pitch for the movie here.

Phroobar

It is really hard to tell how well this movie will do. I can see Disney fans buying presale tickets for it. Will the general public go see it? The odds are fairly good on that. Will it be a blockbuster like Frozen? I have my doubts. Personally it's not really on my list of movies to see theatrically. I think the main character is little too bombastic. Too many weird shocked faces in the trailer. I will see it on Disney+ if I'm still subscribed to it or just Redbox it.

Ghost93

It is really hard to tell how well this movie will do. I can see Disney fans buying presale tickets for it. Will the general public go see it? The odds are fairly good on that. Will it be a blockbuster like Frozen? I have my doubts. Personally it's not really on my list of movies to see theatrically. I think the main character is little too bombastic. Too many weird shocked faces in the trailer. I will see it on Disney+ if I'm still subscribed to it or just Redbox it.
It will all depend on critical reception. If it's a good/great movie, it will do well. If it's mediocre or bad, you aren't going to see millions of people check it out.

Phroobar

It will all depend on critical reception. If it's a good/great movie, it will do well. If it's mediocre or bad, you aren't going to see millions of people check it out.
I don't see anything not to like in this movie. It even has a disabled friend.

The trolls are out there and will probably do their best to kill it. :(

TP2000

I think the main character is little too bombastic. Too many weird shocked faces in the trailer.

That statement made me chuckle out loud. 🤣

From what I've seen in the trailers, you nailed it. Unfortunately, I think Disney relies far too heavily on that tired trope now. A girl who does goofy and crazy faces is supposed to equate to someone with a "fun!" personality who is "relatable" because she is not polished or poised. She's just as klutzy and awkward as you! Fun!

It's a young female personality that's getting a bit tired and overused at this point. Maybe it's past time to return to a princess that is naturally elegant and graceful? Because, you know, she's a royal princess and not the awkward girl in gym class?

At least have just one traditional princess, and then they can go back to the "wacky and unpolished" gag for the next three or four movies to fulfill some bizarre internal company quota they must have for that tired stereotype. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom