Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is this something you’ve found with boys that age you know personally? Not saying you’re wrong, just that I haven’t heard anecdotal evidence to the contrary that concerns real world people.
Yes, my niece graduated high school last year who have kids that have known each other since grade school. A large majority of the boys along with girls in her school from a young age all liked and followed Disney. Its not the insult you think it is anymore.

Again how do you think the next generation of "Disney Lifestylers" are created, the vast majority start with their love as a kid. And unless you're saying that its only girls and young women that become "Disney Lifestylers" then boys have to have love for Disney too.

DisneyHead123

But all of us have also observed cinema screenings of Disney movies that were well attended by boys, as well as boys happily participating in all the Disney activities and attractions at the parks. And unless I’m mistaken, most of us participating in these discussions are male and therefore know from firsthand experience that boys are perfectly capable of enjoying Disney.
The movies, probably, the merch and toys might be a different story. Lego being an exception. There seems to be no age limit on Legos.

I do feel that may be different from yesteryear though. My impressions may be inaccurate but I picture 9-year-olds loving Davy Crockett and wanting the hat and cap gun back in the day.

DisneyHead123

Yes, my niece graduated high school last year who have kids that have known each other since grade school. A large majority of the boys along with girls in her school from a young age all liked and followed Disney. It’s not the insult you think it is anymore.
Ok, well, I’ll keep an eye out as my son gets older as he’s in preschool now. I haven’t seen kids insulting other kids over liking Mickey but I’ve heard a couple of other parents talk about it. And it’s hard to quantify exactly what “liking Disney” means as they own so much IP now. Some of the lines, like Nightmare Before Christmas, seem to seem appeal more to older kids who like anime. Shows like Big City Greens skew a bit older as well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, well, I’ll keep an eye out as my son gets older as he’s in preschool now. I haven’t seen kids insulting other kids over liking Mickey but I’ve heard a couple of other parents talk about it. And it’s hard to quantify exactly what “liking Disney” means as they own so much IP now. Some of the lines, like Nightmare Before Christmas, seem to seem appeal more to older kids who like anime. Shows like Big City Greens skew a bit older as well.
Based on your profile you're a little bit younger than I am, but even when I was going to MS and then HS in the late 80s and early 90s it wasn't the insult you seem to think happens during that age. Maybe its regional though, as I went to MS and HS in the SF Bay Area.

DisneyHead123

Based on your profile you're a little bit younger than I am, but even when I was going to MS and then HS in the late 80s and early 90s it wasn't the insult you seem to think happens during that age. Maybe it’s regional though, as I went to MS and HS in the SF Bay Area.
It could certainly be regional. And if Mickey is seen as being for little kids in some places, I think it’s more recent as the Fab 5 have become associated with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The Paul Rudish cartoons are more for any age but don’t seem to have permeated the zeitgeist in the way the classic Fab 5 cartoons did back in the day. (And once kids get to high school I have no idea, I know almost no teenagers. There does seem to be more Disney merch for teens.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It could certainly be regional. And if Mickey is seen as being for little kids in some places, I think it’s more recent as the Fab 5 have become associated with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The Paul Rudish cartoons are more for any age but don’t seem to have permeated the zeitgeist in the way the classic Fab 5 cartoons did back in the day. (And once kids get to high school I have no idea, I know almost no teenagers. There does seem to be more Disney merch for teens.)
If someones association of Mickey is only from MMCH then they've had very limited exposure to Mickey and Disney in general.

BrianLo

Have they ever liked Disney IPs? That was the whole point of Disney buying Star Wars to do better with the male market. They have the girls secured with Disney Princesses. The only thing that was remotely like it was the Cars franchise. Disney has historically been seen as something for babies by the 8-17 year old boys.

You are confusing my joke. I'm pretty sure everyone currently posting in this thread (except Miss Rori who I actually know the least, but a hat tip in their username) has previously identified as a Millennial or Gen X Male.

Clearly the company did something to onboard the boys.

Though I don't disagree on spec that Disney has a very strong Princess marketing line and yes, historically that has been pitched more to girls. But to say Disney has not appealed to boys en masse is flawed. Since we are mostly the product of that Renaissance exposure on these forums, I'd imagine.

Disney has a very poor pipeline of Sci-Fi products that really have never clicked with kids. But I think it's disingenuous to ignore the pipeline that was Rescuers Down Under, Aladdin, Lion King, Hunchback, Hercules, Tarzan. Even Emperors New Groove and Stitch. It's more like that generation flip-flopped between a female and a male lead quite naturally.

Last edited:

Miss Rori

Check out the background for D'Amaro's teaser for WDW announcements at the Tiana's Bayou Adventure media event:...

For reference, Wish has been bouncing around the last spot on the Trending list for Disney+ (without Hulu) over the last few weeks.

I don't think Disney has given up on Wish.
Okay, bringing this back around to the movie...I don't think a backdrop says anything about how Disney Corporate actually feels about it; Wish just happens to be their most recent Canon film. And even if they haven't given up on it...what do they expect it to do? It may be doing okay-ish on Disney+ but it sure doesn't seem to be moving merchandise or triggering a critical reevaluation of its merits as a film. It's just sinking into the "content"/streaming void at this point.

Tha Realest

Okay, bringing this back around to the movie...I don't think a backdrop says anything about how Disney Corporate actually feels about it; Wish just happens to be their most recent Canon film. And even if they haven't given up on it...what do they expect it to do? It may be doing okay-ish on Disney+ but it sure doesn't seem to be moving merchandise or triggering a critical reevaluation of its merits as a film. It's just sinking into the "content"/streaming void at this point.
The Horned King was in that animated short the company did a last year, but no one believes that is indicative of a corporate reassessment of the value of that property.

Miss Rori

I still keep thinking of the irony that The Black Cauldron was left out of the end credits montage-of-sorts in Wish for reasons that still haven't been explained (along with the absences of most of the package films, The Rescuers and its sequel, and Meet the Robinsons), given Wish is probably the most humiliating failure WDFAS has had since that film. Not the biggest failure financially or even critically, but like Black Cauldron it's the sort of misfire that makes people feel that the studio has Lost It, especially in the face of how it was hyped up as a major event film.

Heppenheimer

The Horned King was in that animated short the company did a last year, but no one believes that is indicative of a corporate reassessment of the value of that property.
I imagine Princess Eilonwy as the shunned, unpopular princess that all the mean, popular girls won't allow in the sorority. Particularly after that scene in Wreck It Ralph II, where she is noticeably absent.

Miss Rori

To be fair, the theory I have over the Black Cauldron, Rescuers, and Meet the Robinsons characters not appearing in Wish, which also works with the Ralph Breaks the Internet example, is that Disney didn't think to clear the rights to the characters in question in time, as all those films are based on books that are still under copyright. I'm not sure why this happened with the movies and not with Once Upon a Studio though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To be fair, the theory I have over the Black Cauldron, Rescuers, and Meet the Robinsons characters not appearing in Wish, which also works with the Ralph Breaks the Internet example, is that Disney didn't think to clear the rights to the characters in question in time, as all those films are based on books that are still under copyright. I'm not sure why this happened with the movies and not with Once Upon a Studio though.
You just proved your own theory incorrect when you mentioned the references in Once Upon a Studio.

Disney didn’t feel the need to add them into Wish for whatever reason, not that they didn’t have the rights to them.

Phroobar

How ironic that Wish became the top dog in that club of Disney outcasts.

I still keep thinking of the irony that The Black Cauldron was left out of the end credits montage-of-sorts in Wish for reasons that still haven't been explained (along with the absences of most of the package films, The Rescuers and its sequel, and Meet the Robinsons), given Wish is probably the most humiliating failure WDFAS has had since that film. Not the biggest failure financially or even critically, but like Black Cauldron it's the sort of misfire that makes people feel that the studio has Lost It, especially in the face of how it was hyped up as a major event film.
that's definitely it!! I remember someone who worked in the film saying that. That's also the reason why they used yokai instead of anyone else from big hero 6, they couldn't get the rights from marvel at time.

Miss Rori

They are incorporating an extended Wish segment into the new Disney on Ice anthology production that begins touring next month, after featuring Asha and a prop Star in one number in last year's Magic in the Stars, though it's probably telling that it's the last movie to be mentioned after, in order, Frozen II, Moana, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid. I wonder how it's going to go over. (Also, the "DJ Mickey" framing device and the suggestion they're "remixing" the music for these production numbers? Uh-oh...)

Phroobar

They are incorporating an extended Wish segment into the new Disney on Ice anthology production that begins touring next month, after featuring Asha and a prop Star in one number in last year's Magic in the Stars, though it's probably telling that it's the last movie to be mentioned after, in order, Frozen II, Moana, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid. I wonder how it's going to go over. (Also, the "DJ Mickey" framing device and the suggestion they're "remixing" the music for these production numbers? Uh-oh...)

These things are planned far in advance that they kept it in the show regardless of how poorly it did. I just hope the show doesn't build to it.

bwr827

My family liked it, too. I was a bit surprised when I encountered all the hate here.

I wouldn’t rank it as a top 10 Disney movie or anything, but it was fully enjoyable.

TsWade2

My family liked it, too. I was a bit surprised when I encountered all the hate here.

I wouldn’t rank it as a top 10 Disney movie or anything, but it was fully enjoyable.
I know, right? I mean, it’s sadly not perfect, but it’s a good film, and the critics and Disney haters ruined Disney’s 100 Years of Wonder.😢Still, thank you and your family for enjoying Wish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom