Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Miss Rori

Is there a reliable chart for how movies sell/rent on digital? The ones I've found have Wish at #8 at best right now or falling out of the Top 10 (Wonka is #1 right now, must have happened this week), which suggests the word-of-mouth isn't kicking in.

Miss Rori

In Wish's case, I think its 47 was unfairly low, and if you read a lot of the top-line summations they're not really about the movie at all, just complaining about the 100th anniversary or "needless" references, etc. before giving it a middle-of-the-road score. I'll also point out that Super Mario got a 46, and it is also a reference-filled movie, so I think that's a particular facet of these movies that critics just aren't very warm to.

Which makes sense -- references mean very little to those who aren't steeped in "the lore" and with Wish at least also runs the risk of just reminding people of all the better movies they could be watching instead, or how good Disney animation can be whereas the main story and characters are warmed-over leftovers. Wish isn't that different from Space Jam: A New Legacy in the end: It's celebrating Disney's centennial not by making the best animated fantasy musical possible but making a mediocre one and stuffing it with references to other movies to borrow their glory and promote them to keep the streams on Disney+ flowing.

Edit: I keep coming back to the most direct comparison being The Flash, which also has magical floating spheres featuring references to better movies!

drizgirl

There have been people on this forum who (if I've interpreted their comments correctly) have said stuff like "I'll see a movie if (I'm told) it's good", and then went on to talk, not about critics, but about the Internet writ large (YTers, etc.) as being the source for that truth. I have no idea of the age/demographics of those people, but I wonder how pervasive that sort of attitude is.

I'm not really in a relatable position since I see so many movies, but in the cases where I bother to look I tend to use a Metacritic score as an expectations setter. Crossing that with the genre/purpose of the film can give me a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. In Wish's case, I think its 47 was unfairly low, and if you read a lot of the top-line summations they're not really about the movie at all, just complaining about the 100th anniversary or "needless" references, etc. before giving it a middle-of-the-road score. I'll also point out that Super Mario got a 46, and it is also a reference-filled movie, so I think that's a particular facet of these movies that critics just aren't very warm to.
I think a lot of people have friends they trust, friends who have had similar opinions of other movies in the past. That's generally how I decide what to see.

brideck

Is there a reliable chart for how movies sell/rent on digital? The ones I've found have Wish at #8 at best right now or falling out of the Top 10 (Wonka is #1 right now, must have happened this week), which suggests the word-of-mouth isn't kicking in.

Do Disney movies have a track record of doing all that well on pVOD prior to inevitably coming to the service that prospective viewers are already paying for? I honestly don't pay attention to that stuff.

brideck

I think a lot of people have friends they trust, friends who have had similar opinions of other movies in the past. That's generally how I decide what to see.

Sure. I don't have a lot of friends who spontaneously see current movies, so I often end up being a recommendation engine for them.

DKampy

There have been people on this forum who (if I've interpreted their comments correctly) have said stuff like "I'll see a movie if (I'm told) it's good", and then went on to talk, not about critics, but about the Internet writ large (YTers, etc.) as being the source for that truth. I have no idea of the age/demographics of those people, but I wonder how pervasive that sort of attitude is.

I'm not really in a relatable position since I see so many movies, but in the cases where I bother to look I tend to use a Metacritic score as an expectations setter. Crossing that with the genre/purpose of the film can give me a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. In Wish's case, I think its 47 was unfairly low, and if you read a lot of the top-line summations they're not really about the movie at all, just complaining about the 100th anniversary or "needless" references, etc. before giving it a middle-of-the-road score. I'll also point out that Super Mario got a 46, and it is also a reference-filled movie, so I think that's a particular facet of these movies that critics just aren't very warm to.
Professional Critics see as many films as they can and come at the films at a original, creative, artistic angle… many people don’t see near as many films as critics so they don’t have as many to compare and contrast… If your a fan of a particular IP there is a good chance you could feel a bit nostalgic with the right member berries…unfortunately for Disney there is a whole contingency of YouTubers who is ready to put them on blast these days without even watching the films… which is disheartening to me

As someone who watches most everything released in theaters eventually I agreed with critics about Super Mario( but I did not have a built in Mario fandom)as a Disney fan I disagreed with critics about Wish…. So I think it really depends how close you are to the fandom

People have to remember critics are just people too with opinions like all of us… which is why I still use Rotten Tomatoes… it gives me a consensus

Disstevefan1

Word of mouth is also a factor. Take Elemental for example. It had a poor start but as the word got around, its popularity grew. YES, I know Elemental cost more to make and market than is brought in, but I think that's more because of Disney's OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING ON MOVIES IN GENERAL, than the content.

Miss Rori

At this point I don't think Wish is getting to D+ until March at the earliest, and given they are doing the physical media releases that month, it may even be punted to April to try and maximize sales.

DisneyHead123

I think when people say “good” they’re sometimes talking about the FOMO factor among their peer group (in real life or online), and want to see if anyone on TikTok cares about the movie first. Not that people don’t want to see good movies, but the whole “getting people to the theater vs. seeing it at home” factor seems to be much more about social buzz, for young people at least. People will watch the good but non buzzy movie on a rainy day at home, but even a bad talked-about movie might need to be seen in theaters so it can be Tweeted about before the moment passes.

WorldExplorer

Amazing how many bad online takes of Disney movies from 10+ years ago have shaped the official Disney product.

It's because the people who were teenagers or in their early 20s when they saw those takes, internalized them and are now working at Disney.
Internet culture ruined real culture.

The very idea that anyone thought the 100th anniversary was a good time to focus on deconstructing supposed flaws from the classics says a ton. Even if the criticisms weren't bullcrud, surely there's a time and a place? Especially when they've already mocked this concept before so it's not even fresh?

There's some genuinely terrible writing in modern Disney movies; when are we going to get the films harping on those?

LittleBuford

The very idea that anyone thought the 100th anniversary was a good time to focus on deconstructing supposed flaws from the classics says a ton. Even if the criticisms weren't bullcrud, surely there's a time and a place? Especially when they've already mocked this concept before so it's not even fresh?

There's some genuinely terrible writing in modern Disney movies; when are we going to get the films harping on those?
To me, Wish seemed like a love letter to Disney’s classics, not a critical deconstruction of them. 🤷‍♂️

Miss Rori

To me, Wish seemed like a love letter to Disney’s classics, not a critical deconstruction of them. 🤷‍♂️
Again, that doesn't really make sense as a concept if it's made by Disney. I think the Guillermo del Toro Pinocchio and/or Mamoru Hosada's Belle qualify for such a descriptor better.

TsWade2

I just don't get with these people at all. They don't have to like the movie, but showing this movie hatred is getting far too seriously. I blame WDWPro and Pop Culture Warriors for ruining Wish's success of the box office. But, on the bright side, Disney stocks went up for last week's successful Earnings Call. So, jokes is on them!

drizgirl

I just don't get with these people at all. They don't have to like the movie, but showing this movie hatred is getting far too seriously. I blame WDWPro and Pop Culture Warriors for ruining Wish's success of the box office. But, on the bright side, Disney stocks went up for last week's successful Earnings Call. So, jokes is on them!
2 random posters could not ruin a good movie if they tried. You give them WAY too much credit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom