Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TsWade2

I have to remember not to engage with the Disney Hate Club who all seriously need to find another hobby.
point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

brideck

The problem with the "War on Families" narrative is that the numbers just don't bear that out as being the truth. Disney's RepTrak numbers have fallen since Florida's government started ginning up the culture war against the company from 78.1 in 2020 all the way to 73.8, which is still a (checks notes) "Strong" reputation. And even if all of the roughly 33% of Americans who believe that same-sex relationships are morally wrong (annual Gallup poll) were to be so turned off as to immediately stop buying tickets to Disney movies, that wouldn't account for why ticket sales are off by well over 50%. And it also wouldn't make sense in the face of the fact that Lightyear has been Disney's 2nd-best performing animated movie at the box office since the pandemic. The "audacity" of the same-sex kiss in that movie was so widely circulated in the circles that would have been offended by its inclusion that you should have seen the biggest impact there.

mickEblu

The problem with the "War on Families" narrative is that the numbers just don't bear that out as being the truth. Disney's RepTrak numbers have fallen since Florida's government started ginning up the culture war against the company from 78.1 in 2020 all the way to 73.8, which is still a (checks notes) "Strong" reputation. And even if all of the roughly 33% of Americans who believe that same-sex relationships are morally wrong (annual Gallup poll) were to be so turned off as to immediately stop buying tickets to Disney movies, that wouldn't account for why ticket sales are off by well over 50%. And it also wouldn't make sense in the face of the fact that Lightyear has been Disney's 2nd-best performing animated movie at the box office since the pandemic. The "audacity" of the same-sex kiss in that movie was so widely circulated in the circles that would have been offended by its inclusion that you should have seen the biggest impact there.

I think you are trying to oversimplify the whole thing. You have to remember Lightyear was the first time Disney did anything like that and it was quite shocking for a lot of folks. That was a big turning point and I think some people were caught off guard. This is why you don’t see the biggest impact there. Also, it’s based on the gazillion dollar Toy Story franchise which tends to put some butts in seats. You are also assuming that anyone pro Gay marriage is pro same sex kiss in Lightyear which is far from the truth and doesn’t account for many parents who are not comfortable with that.

Quantifying the individual impact of any of these issues is hard. But I don't know that anyone is saying it's the only reason. Actually the opposite: some folks are denying that Disney's reputation decline is real or that the reputation decline is causing any material impact on revenue. Even mentioning the topic seems to get folks really upset.

Regardless of the reasons for the change in movie revenue, I think there's a ton of fundamental questions that Disney needs to ask: what is the "right size" for movie budgets if the size of the revenue pie has shrunk? Does Disney+ provide enough revenue to shrug off issues at the box office? Does Disney+ need big theatrical productions in order to sustain subscription levels, even if those movies are considered a flop? Is Disney+ priced appropriately? Are there simple partnerships or deals that could be offered to Disney+ subscribers to get them out to the movie theater more often?

brideck

I think that's the first time I've seen anyone who brought numbers into a conversation accused as "oversimplifying" things. If anyone is generalizing and projecting here, I don't think it's me.

You are also assuming that anyone pro Gay marriage is pro same sex kiss in Lightyear which is far from the truth and doesn’t account for many parents who are not comfortable with that.

To echo an earlier poster, I was specific and careful about what poll I cited. This one was "Regardless of whether or not you think it should be legal, for each one, please tell me whether you personally believe that in general it is morally acceptable or morally wrong. How about gay or lesbian relations?" The people who answer morally wrong to that are exactly the people we're talking about here. Because if you don't believe it's morally wrong, why on Earth would you be squeamish about it in a movie? The legality of marriage is a separate polled question.

You're also completely discounting that there are people who are happy with Disney's decisions in this space and make a concerted effort to seek out and support this entertainment because of that. Hint: There may be some of those people in this very thread, and based on the "Like" war, they're equal to or greater than the number who share your conclusions.

brideck

Quantifying the individual impact of any of these issues is hard. But I don't know that anyone is saying it's the only reason. Actually the opposite: some folks are denying that Disney's reputation decline is real or that the reputation decline is causing any material impact on revenue. Even mentioning the topic seems to get folks really upset.

Regardless of the reasons for the change in movie revenue, I think there's a ton of fundamental questions that Disney needs to ask: what is the "right size" for movie budgets if the size of the revenue pie has shrunk? Does Disney+ provide enough revenue to shrug off issues at the box office? Does Disney+ need big theatrical productions in order to sustain subscription levels, even if those movies are considered a flop? Is Disney+ priced appropriately? Are there simple partnerships or deals that could be offered to Disney+ subscribers to get them out to the movie theater more often?

Feel free to read and engage with any of my earlier posts where I attempt to discuss the impact of D+ on box office returns. I'm not the one focusing on reputation/cultural issues or claiming it's the only/primary cause of declines.

mickEblu

I think that's the first time I've seen anyone who brought numbers into a conversation accused as "oversimplifying" things. If anyone is generalizing and projecting here, I don't think it's me.

To echo an earlier poster, I was specific and careful about what poll I cited. This one was "Regardless of whether or not you think it should be legal, for each one, please tell me whether you personally believe that in general it is morally acceptable or morally wrong. How about gay or lesbian relations?" The people who answer morally wrong to that are exactly the people we're talking about here. Because if you don't believe it's morally wrong, why on Earth would you be squeamish about it in a movie? The legality of marriage is a separate polled question.

You're also completely discounting that there are people who are happy with Disney's decisions in this space and make a concerted effort to seek out and support this entertainment because of that. Hint: There may be some of those people in this very thread, and based on the "Like" war, they're equal to or greater than the number who share your conclusions.

You tried to make the false correlation that Lightyear having higher numbers than some movies that came after it meant that people didn’t have a big issue with the “kiss” and I explained why numbers alone don’t tell the whole story. Some of you guys are in denial. I don’t know what else to say.

brideck

You tried to make the false correlation that Lightyear having higher numbers than some movies that came after it meant that people didn’t have a big issue with the “kiss” and I explained why numbers alone don’t tell the whole story. Some of you guys are in denial. I don’t know what else to say.

Right, right. Which is why Elemental has the biggest post-pandemic BO. It's not like that came after the "damage" of Lightyear or anything. It even had a minor NB character, which is even more "3rd rail" than gay characters for people.

Last edited:

crispy

That is fine if that’s your opinion… but the poster was stating how The Disney Brand was wholesome family branding… and Disney is not that anymore…I would like to know how Wish reflects that

I think the point is that people have lost trust in the Disney brand. Even if Wish is "wholesome," people aren't going to blindly spend money on seeing it. The audience has been burned (some by Disney politics, some by mediocre movies, some by franchise fatigue, some by the constant live action retreads). Most people can find a reason to hate Disney right now.

Good word of mouth can overcome this (see Elemental), but since Wish had bad reviews that isn't happening. The trust in the brand is gone for many people.

Last edited:

brideck

I think the point is that people have lost trust in the Disney brand. Even if Wish is "wholesome," people aren't going to blindly spend money on seeing. Good word of mouth can overcome this (see Elemental), but since Wish had bad reviews that isn't happening.

The trust in the brand is gone for many people.

I cited the trust metric not that long ago. It is reduced slightly, but by no means "gone," and certainly not enough to reduce ticket sales by over 50%. What's true for you and your personal experience is not true writ large.

mickEblu

Right, right. Which is why Elemental has the biggest post-pandemic BO. It's not like that came after the "damage" of Lightyear or anything. It even had a minor NB character, which is even more "3rd rail" than gay characters for people.

When did I say that the DEI stuff was the only factor? Elemental was a good movie. The brand has been damaged but it’s not irreparable for probably most people. Elemental didn’t do great out the gate because the loss of faith/ trust by the people. Then the word got out that it was not only a good movie but also not “woke” (only woke-ish). That’s the reason the movie had legs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom