Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

mickEblu

You sure seem overly interested in it, for some reason. Hmmmmmm. By the way, I don’t frequent Target but they have some extremely cool merch on ShopDisney and other online retailers.

Not sure what you’re getting at. Is this your default defense mechanism when you’ve ran out of things to say or have lost an argument?

BuddyThomas

Just wondering:

If the default is that someone needs have seen a movie to have an opinion/comment on it, then surely one has to be a parent to have an opinion/comment on parenting?
Just wondering:

If someone had been part of a family, someone has at one point been a child and has had parents, and understand basic family dynamics. Does that make your comment moot?

BuddyThomas

Not at all.
Well, free answer - it does, but that doesn’t matter because welcome to my ignore list. You’ve tried to start one fight too many with all your veiled political comments. You have yourself a really, really, really happy holiday. As they say down south, bless your heart. Bye bye.

BuddyThomas

I chose my words carefully anticipating what the objection would be. The key word is parenting. Most likely (most, not all) people have had parents. Some good some bad, some in between.

Not everyone has engaged in parenting; hence my point.
Making assumptions again. And what exactly does any of this have to do with Wish? Have you seen the film?

DKampy

This is one of the key dynamics that will have to change - there has to be adults in the room as interns cannot run a global media company.

Understanding implications of decisions is the job of senior management as junior staff, no matter how earnest, do not have a full understanding of the global marketplace nor have any responsibility for the profitability of the company.

Brands are delicate things and a brand like Disney is unique in its (previous) place in the minds of consumers around the world.

Every action has a corresponding reaction - brand identities are not fixed..

Look at Victoria’s Secret - they fell into the trap of “body positivity” and replaced their iconic and brand-defining supermodel “Angels” with everyday obese women in their ads and mall signage.

That brand went from a powerful aspirational “Wow, I want to look sexy like that!” to “OMG, am I going to look like that in that underwear?! No thanks.”

They had an envied and very clear brand identity and now they are caught in some muddled “Lane Bryant meets Sears Catalog underwear ads” and their sales are floundering (although the Angels have started to reappear as they backpedal).

Brands mean something.

Disney spent 100 years being the trusted family entertainment, wholesome brand.

You don’t want to be that? OK, that comes with very serious business consequences, which they have just begun to understand. Brand perceptions cannot be resurrected quickly once that brand trust is lost.

But hey, Sawyer the marketing intern felt it was important for the company to make a stand! We see you, Sawyer!
So since this is the Wish thread… explain to me how Wish is not wholesome family entertainment

LittleBuford

Just wondering:

If the default is that someone needs have seen a movie to have an opinion/comment on it, then surely one has to be a parent to have an opinion/comment on parenting?
One can definitively state that a particular poster doesn’t speak for all parents, because that is simply a matter of fact.

One cannot definitely state that a film they haven’t seen is terrible, because, well, that is a matter of opinion rather than fact, and one cannot form an informed opinion on something they don’t have sufficient information about.

You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Casper Gutman

Except I'm not, you simply don't like the implications of what I pointed out.
No, what you “pointed out” is idiotic and your intentions are transparent. People very frequently form opinions on social issues that do not directly affect them. I guarantee we can find some social issues you are VERY certain and passionate about despite not being directly involved. This does not make those opinions invalid, because, well, “we live in a society.”

One cannot, however, have a fully formed opinion on a work of art without experiencing it. They can have an opinion on a trailer, or on a clip, and that can be a useful topic of discussion. But sweeping statements about a work of art as a whole would lack validity.

So, to echo a point above, how is this relevant to Wish? Or Marvels? Or TLM or Elemental or Haunted Mansion?

Willmark

No, what you “pointed out” is idiotic
Idiotic? I've not insulted you, kindly avoid doing that to me.

And your intentions are transparent.
They are?

People very frequently form opinions on social issues that do not directly affect them.
Yes. hence my commentary.

I guarantee
You can? Lets read on.

we can find some social issues you are VERY certain and passionate about despite not being directly involved.
Such as? You seem to know me well?

This does not make those opinions invalid, because, well, “we live in a society.”
I'm thinking this comment doesn't address the point I made.

One cannot, however, have a fully formed opinion on a work of art without experiencing it.
So people can have a full formed opinion on parenting, despite (potentially) never having been parents, but cannot comment on art without experiencing it? Seems rather odd.

Willmark

I presented a logical rebuttal to your argument. If you can find any fault with what I said, I’m happy to hear and respond to it.
I see you added to your statement:

One cannot definitely state that a film they haven’t seen is terrible, because, well, that is a matter of opinion rather than fact, and one cannot form an informed opinion on something they don’t have sufficient information about.
Unless I'm missing something here (which is possible) you mean like parenting? One would think that in order to tell parents what to do, one would have to, you know...have experience in actually being one? I should think its difficult to have an informed opinion on something someone would insufficiently know about, no?

Then logically it follows then one doesn't need to see a movie to comment on it?

LittleBuford

I see you added to your statement:

Unless I'm missing something here (which is possible) you mean like parenting? One would think that in order to tell parents what to do, one would have to, you know...have experience in actually being one? I should think its difficult to have an informed opinion on something someone would insufficiently know about, no?

Then logically it follows then one doesn't need to see a movie to comment on it?
I didn’t add that to my post; it was there from the start.

And I didn’t tell parents what to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom