Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry to be a broken record but since I’m giving up hope for the box office, I’m hoping it’ll do better on DisneyPlus like Encanto and Elemental did. I mean, after all, a lot families are waiting for Wish to come on DisneyPlus rather at the movie theaters.
I know your anxiety gets the better of you sometimes, but you don't need to keep repeating this over and over. :)

Sir_Cliff

My takeaway was that people were (mis)led into thinking their wishes were likely to be granted, without any sense of the true extent to which Magnifico was policing and denying their desires. And in exchange for (misguidedly) entrusting their wishes to him, they were deprived of any memory of those wishes, thus losing an essential part of themselves. It read to me very much as the dynamic between a charismatic cult leader and his disciples.
I guess it makes some sense they did not quite realise exactly what was going on behind the scenes and precisely what they were giving up. They did, though, presumably know that once they gave their wishes to Magnifico that they couldn't remember them and also that a lot of wishes were never granted. They also would have known it was the king who decided which wishes to grant. None of that was really hidden. In fact, it was all very public! This is where I shrugged a little at the stakes: it's a lot to give up, but then they also seemed to be getting a lot in return. I will say that Asha may become a lot less popular when they have to start paying taxes!

This might all seem like nit picking, but the world building really didn't work for me. If this is supposed to be a throwback, I think if you go back to even the less successful Disney films of the 1990s like Pocahontas, Hercules, or Mulan you find clearer stakes, more cohesive world building, and better character development.

Last edited:

TsWade2

I know your anxiety gets the better of you sometimes, but you don't need to keep repeating this over and over. :)
I know. I’m just trying to let go of the box office, and Wish doesn’t come to Disney+ until in February 2024 or something like that. Just be thankful I talked to my therapist about it to make me feel better.

LittleBuford

I guess it makes some sense they did not quite realise exactly what was going on behind the scenes and precisely what they were giving up. They did, though, presumably know that once they gave their wishes to Magnifico that they couldn't remember them and also that a lot of wishes were never granted. They also would have known it was the king who decided which wishes to grant. None of that was really hidden. In fact, it was all very public! This is where I shrugged a little at the stakes: it's a lot to give up, but then they also seemed to be getting a lot in return. I will say that Asha may become a lot less popular when they have to start paying taxes!

This might all seem like nit picking, but the world building really didn't work for me. If this is supposed to be a throwback, I think if you go back to even the less successful Disney films of the 1990s like Pocahontas, Hercules, or Mulan you find clearer stakes, more cohesive world building, and better character development.
I agree they could have set things up more fully and effectively, but I nonetheless found the basic premise convincing and the stakes clear. Your assessment doesn’t read as nitpicking; it’s well articulated and thoughtful, though I don’t share it.

Figments Friend

Had a friend recently see ‘Wish’ and he loved it.
He is not a Disney brand advocate or ‘pixie duster’ by any means….but a fan of a lot of their better animated films.
He went in rather skeptical, but came away thinking it was really good, and very funny in parts.
Was fully expecting to hear he was disappointed…..but nope.
It was a winner for him.

Sounds to me like that A- Cinemascore was right….
Those that actually go and see the film with an open mind end up really enjoying it, but the trick is getting people to GO.
Still feel like the marketing campaign for this left a lot to be desired.

-

Phroobar

At the risk of missing the joke, that's not corporate (Team Disney/Michael D. Eisner). It's within the Roy E. Disney Animation Building itself. Decorating the studio with art from the film currently in production is normal. It'll come down when they start the next show.
or sooner.

TP2000

I have a feeling it will be better regarded in future years than its current box-office performance suggests.

I agree. For example, I find Herbie Goes Bananas far more entertaining today than I originally did in 1979.

I mean honestly, Cloris Leachman post-Phyllis and Harvey Korman post-Americathon was a tough sell in '79. And on top of that, it was a movie about a Volkswagen Beetle five years after it was discontinued and replaced by the VW Rabbit? Box office poison.

But now? It's comedy gold. Talk about a cult classic. And just think of the merchandise sales Burbank is getting!

Phroobar

I agree. For example, I find Herbie Goes Bananas far more entertaining today than I originally did in 1979.

I mean honestly, Cloris Leachman post-Phyllis and Harvey Korman post-Americathon was a tough sell in '79. And on top of that, it was a movie about a Volkswagen Beetle five years after it was discontinued and replaced by the VW Rabbit? Box office poison.

But now? It's comedy gold. Talk about a cult classic. And just think of the merchandise sales Burbank is getting!
Don't you love how the kid keeps calling Herbie Ocho? (get it? 5+3=8 Ocho, haha!)

Animaniac93-98

This is where I shrugged a little at the stakes: it's a lot to give up, but then they also seemed to be getting a lot in return. I will say that Asha may become a lot less popular when they have to start paying taxes!

I think maybe a smarter, more adult animated film from another company might explore the idea that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and have a deliberate unhappy/ambiguous ending....but obviously not Disney. 😅

Animaniac93-98

How strange to go from Princess and the Frog, which made it very clear that wishes have to be backed up with hard work to have any significance, to "wishes are basically an expression of human liberty and are the most important thing" 😵‍💫

Are there no bad wishes? Even the fireworks show acknowledged that! 😄

Last edited:

LittleBuford

How strange to go from Princess and the Frog, which made it very clear that wishes have to be backed up with hard work to have any significance, to "wishes are basically an expression of human liberty and are the most important thing" 😵‍💫

And are there no bad wishes? Even the fireworks show acknowledged that! 😄
Have you seen the film? Its conclusion is sort of the opposite of what you suggest: rather than relying on Magnifico to grant their desires, the people of Rosas take charge of their own wishes, striving in pursuit of them. True, Asha ends up a fairy godmother, which means some amount of help and intervention is still at play, but that’s consistent with many of the Disney classics.

Sir_Cliff

I think maybe a smarter, more adult animated film from another company might explore the idea that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and have a deliberate unhappy/ambiguous ending....but obviously not Disney. 😅
However they treated the ending, that message would actually have been a good one! This is where I think they could have fleshed out Magnifico, having him starting off with good intentions but unwittingly causing harm to the people of Rosas as he became more and more concerned with holding on to power. The notion that restoring wishes back to the people was a way of preventing the same thing from happening again might have worked... if they hadn't just replaced the king with a queen and crossed their fingers power didn't corrupt her! It also would have worked better if it was clearer that the tradeoff the people were making under Magnifico was so negative.

To your other point, this message could have also worked if the ending made it clear that people have to take some responsibility along with their newfound freedom so something similar or worse doesn't happen again. Instead, it all seemed to end in a celebration of everyone pursuing their individual desires however fanciful they may seem. This is where I can't help but feel the harmonious and diverse tax haven of Rosas has tough times ahead of it post-revolution!

Last edited:

TP2000

I find this fascinating... Wish is still in the most theaters nationwide even though it flopped badly and has already fallen down to 9th place this week. I can't imagine the theater chains will agree to this type of theater hogging from Disney in 2024 and 2025 based on the dozen flops Disney had in 2023.

You can imagine how frustrated the theater owners are to have to still put Wish in 3,900 theaters with these results! :mad:

Domestic Box Office, Thursday, December 8th
Weekend Preview.jpg

TsWade2

I find this fascinating... Wish is still in the most theaters nationwide even though it flopped badly and has already fallen down to 9th place this week. I can't imagine the theater chains will agree to this type of theater hogging from Disney in 2024 and 2025 based on the dozen flops Disney had in 2023.

You can imagine how frustrated the theater owners are to have to still put Wish in 3,900 theaters with these results! :mad:

View attachment 758131
It’s going to do better on DisneyPlus anyway.😉

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It’s going to do better on DisneyPlus anyway.😉
I hope so! There's a ton of merch for Wish in the parks, but sadly the Asha face character that's currently meeting where Pluto and Daisy have hung out has little recognition from passing crowds.

Miss Rori

View attachment 758131
I have to imagine that theater owners figured Wish was going to be a lot bigger than it was (given how aggressively Disney marketed it) and hold up over these two post-opening weekends. Instead, it's wild how films like Godzilla Minus One and The Boy and the Heron with far smaller production and marketing budgets are getting ahead of the game -- they're not billion-dollar blockbusters but they're getting great reviews and clear interest from their intended audiences. I'm thinking that next weekend Wish sees its screen count greatly reduced to make room for Wonka (which has had its embargo lifted and is getting noticeably stronger reviews) and will be virtually out of theaters by the time Migration opens over the Christmas holiday.

Will Disney+ turn things around? If they wait until the end of February or thereabouts as they probably intend to (presumably they were hoping for awards season buzz, which -- no), I don't know if families will notice it arrive. Soul, Encanto, and Strange World being Christmas Day drops meant that a lot of families were together and looking for stuff to do at home at the time. If I were Disney execs, I'd cut my losses and bring Wish to streaming for Christmas to better its chances of being noticed.

Miss Rori

Are there no bad wishes? Even the fireworks show acknowledged that! 😄
Or Soul arguing that wishes/dreams are great but they don't have to come true for a person to have a fulfilling life, and if anything can blind a person to the little things that make life worthwhile in the first place.

TsWade2

I have to imagine that theater owners figured Wish was going to be a lot bigger than it was (given how aggressively Disney marketed it) and hold up over these two post-opening weekends. Instead, it's wild how films like Godzilla Minus One and The Boy and the Heron with far smaller production and marketing budgets are getting ahead of the game -- they're not billion-dollar blockbusters but they're getting great reviews and clear interest from their intended audiences. I'm thinking that next weekend Wish sees its screen count greatly reduced to make room for Wonka (which has had its embargo lifted and is getting noticeably stronger reviews) and will be virtually out of theaters by the time Migration opens over the Christmas holiday.

Will Disney+ turn things around? If they wait until the end of February or thereabouts as they probably intend to (presumably they were hoping for awards season buzz, which -- no), I don't know if families will notice it arrive. Soul, Encanto, and Strange World being Christmas Day drops meant that a lot of families were together and looking for stuff to do at home at the time. If I were Disney execs, I'd cut my losses and bring Wish to streaming for Christmas to better its chances of being noticed.
With all do respect, Elemental came to DisneyPlus in September and it was hit there. And a lot’ve families are waiting to see Wish on Disney+ rather than looking at rigged box office. It’ll probably do better on DisneyPlus anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom