Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TsWade2

Not the first time. There was a long gap between Moana and Ralph 2. People who have journeyman status (i.e. the core people) will be safe.

My guess was they were waiting to see if Wish would leg out like Elemental before making any decisions about the future.
Sadly, it’s officially a flop, so I’m afraid Disney animation can’t do originals anymore.😢

Update: Wait! Hold everything: https://x.com/boardwalktimes/status/1732131220090184048?s=46&t=wmJezcc4cD3jdTKNnLTGAQ It seems like WDAS has ten projects that some are original and sequels like Frozen and Zootopia. Never mind again.

Disstevefan1

What do yo mean?
wishTrend.jpg

TsWade2

scale

This stuff goes in cycles. 20 years ago people felt the same way, 20 years ago before that too.

Disney's got a brand issue. Much like they did 20 years ago, and 20 years before that. It will change.
Okay. I hope Disney has some originals in the works and hopefully one of them is a Musical besides Frozen sequels.

Farerb

This stuff goes in cycles. 20 years ago people felt the same way, 20 years ago before that too.

Disney's got a brand issue. Much like they did 20 years ago, and 20 years before that. It will change.
The difference is that at those times Disney went too much "off brand", Wish is too much into the brand, what's going to save them this time? Another Princess movie? Seems like people aren't interested in those anymore.

drnilescrane

The difference is that at those times Disney went too much "off brand", Wish is too much into the brand, what's going to save them this time? Another Princess movie? Seems like people aren't interested in those anymore.
Truthfully? Withdrawing from the market a bit. Changing up leadership. Putting things back in the oven. Listening to audiences.

Wish was too arrogant, too Chapek/consumer products. Serving up more of the same while treating the audience like idiots wear the brand like a fashion label. I'm glad that people aren't just accepting whatever slop Disney is dishing up.

Last edited:

drnilescrane

Serving up more of the same while treating the audience like idiots who wear the brand like a fashion label.
BTW: I say that as somebody who describes themselves as a Disney fan, not a theme park fan. I'm not going to Orlando for Universal or SeaWorld, but I'm also not just going to take whatever crap Disney serves up either.

Last edited:

Farerb

Truthfully? Withdrawing from the market a bit. Changing up leadership. Putting things back in the oven. Listening to audiences.

Wish was too arrogant, too Chapek/consumer products. Serving up more of the same while treating the audience like idiots who just care about the brand. I'm glad that people aren't just accepting whatever slop Disney is dishing up.
Do you think they might replace Jennifer Lee? Wouldn't they want her involved with Frozen 3+4?

drnilescrane

Do you think they might replace Jennifer Lee? Wouldn't they want her involved with Frozen 3+4?
Yeah that's the catch-22 here. Plus the perception hit such a move would cause.

Talking to people on the inside, I've heard the name Jared Bush float around. Byron's a great director and a great artist but you need somebody shrewder than that.

I also put a bit of blame on Clark Spencer for not effectively shielding Jen and WDAS from the Disney machine.

My biggest criticism of Strange World and Wish is that every single note that came from the other side of Riverside Dr was acted upon.

Strange World reflected the Disney corporate initiatives of its time (Reimagine Tomorrow!), Wish the same (Don't reimagine tomorrow! Just please everybody and sell merch!).

Animaniac93-98

I wonder if Disney still has the same level of confidence in Frozen as a brand?

Do they think they can put out anything under the Frozen name and it will still be a hit with or without her?

What happens if Frozen 3 underperforms by their lofty expectations, or just crashes when it lands?

Ghost93

So then - what does the phrase mean?
I was very critical of the "throw caution to every warning sign" line before seeing the movie. While I still think it's not a good line, it makes a bit more sense in the context of the film.

Magnifico is giving Asha warnings about the dangers of granting wishes and disobeying him and she's now "cautious" to believe in such warnings.

It's still waaaay too convoluted a metaphor, but it makes a teensie bit more sense in the context of the movie than out of context, where it makes no sense whatsoever.

There are much worse lyrics in the movie.

LittleBuford

I was very critical of the "throw caution to every warning sign" line before seeing the movie. While I still think it's not a good line, it makes a bit more sense in the context of the film.

Magnifico is giving Asha warnings about the dangers of granting wishes and disobeying him and she's now "cautious" to believe in such warnings.
I don't think it's as plot-specific as that. To me, it's pretty clear that it was intended as an interesting twist on the usual expression.

TsWade2

Lyrical problem nonsense aside, I’m giving up hope for Wish at the box office and I don’t think it’ll do good at DisneyPlus either.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

You may be slightly misinterpreting what that chart means. The intent of the shared area is to show normal growth post opening based on an opening weekend number.

The “dip” you see below the shaded area is the film underperforming the norm mid-week due to it being a family animated film and then coming back up to trend on the weekend.

Expect to see it dip back below that line again over the next few weekdays.

Wish had a terrible opening and is legging out (first 10 days or so) at or below the normal trend from that terrible opening.

What you would want to see is the line performing at the top of or even higher than the shaded band to show it turning around based on word of mouth from the disastrous opening.
Yes, I know its under performing overall, but I just was pointing out that instead of a total flat line we saw the line trending upward. Wish is not totally dead yet.

celluloid

There really isn't much comic relief since you are dealing with Japan right after two nuclear bombs were dropped on it and now they have to deal with a mutated giant lizard crushing what is left of Japan. Lots of people get eaten. It reminds me more of Cloverfield mixed with a remake of the Raymond Burr original. This is definately a Toho Godzilla movie and not related to the Kaiju Cinematic Universe that we are used to with Kong vs Godzilla and Millie Bobby Brown mugging at the camera.

It deals with some very serious topics, such as survivors guilt and the aftermath of war violence on civilians and conflicting emotions around national pride and feeling betrayed by your government. I'm not sure how some can be a ex-kamikaze pilot.

Definately worth seeing if you love Godzilla and can deal with post war Japan.

Yes. My son is into the Toho "Universe." We stayed and played around the Toho Cinema building in Shinjuku on our trip to Japan this year. I get not much comic relief due to the social subject matter that Godzilla represents. It juts looks really good. I guess by comic relief I mean Cloverfield/Jaws. Where there is eventually something to smirk at in the tension. Not sure if my son will think it is too dry, but he likes a lot of the original such.

Kind of funny about the ex-kamikaze pilot in terms of dark humor, there is joke potential. Obviously not one that would make a cut. Ha. I guess one could be trained and expected to be a Kamikaze pilot and then looks at the term that way.

Sorry for detouring the thread. Thanks for the review.

I think Wonka is going to slam a lot of theaters out for Wish, and by the time Aquaman 2 and Migration comes out it will be hard to find a theater playing Wish.
This may be the first Disney Thanksgiving animated release that is out of theaters before much into the new year.

TsWade2

Yes. My son is into the Toho "Universe." We stayed and played around the Toho Cinema building in Shinjuku on our trip to Japan this year. I get not much comic relief due to the social subject matter that Godzilla represents. It juts looks really good. I guess by comic relief I mean Cloverfield/Jaws. Where there is eventually something to smirk at in the tension. Not sure if my son will think it is too dry, but he likes a lot of the original such.

Kind of funny about the ex-kamikaze pilot in terms of dark humor, there is joke potential. Obviously not one that would make a cut. Ha. I guess one could be trained and expected to be a Kamikaze pilot and then looks at the term that way.

Sorry for detouring the thread. Thanks for the review.

I think Wonka is going to slam a lot of theaters out for Wish, and by the time Aquaman 2 and Migration comes out it will be hard to find a theater playing Wish.
This may be the first Disney Thanksgiving animated release that is out of theaters before much into the new year.
Go ahead! Say Wish is a flop! I don't care! I'm giving up hope on Wish anyway.

I don't think it's as plot-specific as that. To me, it's pretty clear that it was intended as an interesting twist on the usual expression.
Never implied it was good news, just that Wish is not dead yet.
I appreciate you guys trying give me hope that Wish will succeed at the box office, thanks, but I'm afraid everybody here in this forum are sadly right. The battle is already over. It is a flop. And I don't know if it'll do well on DisneyPlus either. I still enjoy it last weekend, but I'm giving up hope for Wish. I'm sorry.😢

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Go ahead! Say Wish is a flop! I don't care! I'm giving up hope on Wish anyway.

I appreciate you guys trying give me hope that Wish will succeed at the box office, thanks, but I'm afraid everybody here in this forum are sadly right. The battle is already over. It is a flop. And I don't know if it'll do well on DisneyPlus either. I still enjoy it last weekend, but I'm giving up hope for Wish. I'm sorry.😢
Stop worrying an about it. You know how these people are. You enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Others enjoyed it. Most of the people hating on it have not even seen it. As Elsa always says, “let it go”. If you liked it, that’s all that matters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom