Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

LittleBuford

Or Mute instead of moot etc...

All that is fine when you are forgiving to someone who is ignorant to the actual term and being kind to know their intent.

However, for a 200 million dollar budgeted film where so much of it is its musical qualities, and in a main song. I think it is fair to critique and want better from professional songwriters.
You’re assuming ignorance; I’m assuming that they deliberately toyed with the idiom. The result works for me.

One of the most iconic phrases in all Disney songwriting—“blue corn moon”—is meaningless, devised solely because it sounded cool. Such things happen all the time in song and poetry.

celluloid

You’re assuming ignorance; I’m assuming that they deliberately toyed with the idiom. The result works for me.

One of the most iconic phrases in all Disney songwriting—“blue corn moon”—is meaningless, devised solely because it sounded cool. Such things happen all the time in song and poetry.

Blue-corn moon works well as it is an adjective based metaphor. Like blue sky. This example is not even a mixed metaphor. I am not saying playing with language is wrong, it is meant to be played with in creative works. I am saying there are ugly ways to do it.

The word "funner" is a recognized english word, is it ugly to use in most cases? You bet.

celluloid

Sort of. I've never heard someone use the word "throw" to mean "heed" or "give in deference to" like that. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Not saying they did. But can you find an example besides these lyrics of "I throw caution to (thing here)" without finishing it with throwing caution to the wind, or out the window etc.? If you throw caution at something. You are giving it caution.

I am open to seeing if that is commonly accepted. You said where you are from that could be accepted. What region are you from?

_caleb

Not saying they did. But can you find an example besides these lyrics of "I throw caution to (thing here)?" without finishing it with throwing caution to the wind, or out the window etc.? If you throw caution at something. You are giving it caution.

I am open to seeing if that is commonly accepted. You said where you are from that could be accepted. What region are you from?
I'm in the Pacific NW.
No examples come to mind for using "throw caution" apart from finishing the phrase with "to the wind," or "out the window."

Can you think of an example for using "throw caution at" to mean "you are giving it caution?" I don't think I've heard anything like, "he threw caution at his work in the mine" or "she was warned to throw caution to her tightrope act."

celluloid

Corn isn’t blue, though. It works well as an interesting and distinctive poetic phrase, plus it has a rather remote Native American connection, but it doesn’t work as a readily intelligible chromatic metaphor.

I brought up adjective colors and I think perhaps too much focus on that rather than a creative adjective itself.

The moon brings harvest. Native Americans commonly harvested Corn. There is a Harvest Moon Phenomenon where it is blue. Blue-corn moon. a phrase not common, but makes sense to a song teaching someone to look around and appreciate nature.

The main crutch if they wanted to keep the flow in this Wish song is the word "to" If they wanted to mix the idiom into a metaphor they should have said "and I throw caution, with every warning sign." That is what people want this to be.
As it mixes that one throws caution(to the wind) any time a warning sign occurs.

It is not just me, and it is not just this thread's other users. It has been seen ugly by people who appreciate language since the song was released.
To each their own.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It is not just me, and it is not just this thread's other users. It has been seen ugly by people who appreciate language since the song was released.
To each their own.
I know it’s not just you; all I’m saying is that the expression in question works for some of us.

If it isn’t already clear from my posts, I too am a person who appreciates language.

LittleBuford

I'm in the Pacific NW.
No examples come to mind for using "throw caution" apart from finishing the phrase with "to the wind," or "out the window."

Can you think of an example for using "throw caution at" to mean "you are giving it caution?" I don't think I've heard anything like, "he threw caution at his work in the mine" or "she was warned to throw caution to her tightrope act."
You had it right earlier. It’s a fusion of “throw caution to the wind” and “ignore all the warning signs”. The result is nonsensical when one tries to parse it but nonetheless distinctive and clear in intended meaning.

Disstevefan1

I’m trying not to like this, but I fear that things will get worst of Wish at the box office and I’m afraid it’ll flop at DisneyPlus. I’m sorry, I tried to hold on and I tried to let it go, but right now, this is very hard for me right now. Give me time.
Wish was looking like it was going to flat line at the box office but now it looks like there is life left:
1701804183443.png

drnilescrane

Well, the other shoe dropped today. I've heard from friend at the studio that layoffs have started and the untitled 2024 Disney Animation film might have been put on hiatus. (No big loss, it was more of the same from Jen Lee)

If that's the case, it's unknown what will be released (maybe Elio will be brought back to 2024, maybe push Inside Out 2?), but I think the plan is to try and get Zootopia 2 for 2025 and Frozen 3 for 2026/27. That's still a pretty aggressive timeline for Zootopia which only had its first internal screening a few months ago. They typically have about 8 during production before release, once a quarter.

It seems like layoffs have started for the animation crew as there might be nothing for them to do in the next 12 months. When production does start up again, expect WDAS Vancouver to take on more of the load. It's just the way the world is now.

In my opinion this is all good news as it's an admission the status quo is not working. Yes people will have to move around but it's normal for the industry.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Well, the other shoe dropped today. I've heard from friend at the studio that the untitled 2024 Disney Animation film has been put on hiatus. (No big loss, it was more of the same from Jen Lee)

It's unknown what will be released (maybe Elio will be brought back to 2024, maybe push Inside Out 2?), but I think the plan is to try and get Zootopia 2 for 2025 and Frozen 3 for 2026. That's still a pretty aggressive timeline for Zootopia which only had its first internal screening a few months ago. They typically have about 8 during production before release, once a quarter.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is layoffs have started for the animation crew as there is nothing for them to do in the next 12 months. When production does start up again, expect WDAS Vancouver to take on more of the load. It's just the way the world is now.

In my opinion this is all good news as it's an admission the status quo is not working. Yes people will have to move around but it's normal for the industry.
Anything that guts the animation crew seems like bad news to me.

Phroobar

Not the first time. There was a long gap between Moana and Ralph 2. People who have journeyman status (i.e. the core people) will be safe.

My guess was they were waiting to see if Wish would leg out like Elemental before making any decisions about the future.T
The only way it is legging out is if it is released in South Korea.

celluloid

I saw Godzilla Minus One last night and it was awesome.

I really want to see it. It has gotten amazing reviews and looks good. Honest question, becuase humor can be subjective as well as vastly different to recognize. Was there any comic relief at all? Was it too dry for an eight year old who enjoys Godzilla and has no problem reading subtitles fast(sixth grade reading level on the kid I am taking)

So Trolls has made almost double Wish.

And it cost about half as much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom