Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

mickEblu

The solution is so simple. Prioritize story and quality. Diversity is great. Keep pumping out Cocos, Encantos and PatF’s. But dont do that then ALSO use the European inspired stories or stories set in Europe to be a focus group dream come true. Truth is the folks at the DEI department at Disney suck at their job and just way overshot.

But I guess this is what happens when the directive is not to make great movies but that 60% of all stories need to be “inclusive” or whatever the quote was.

celluloid

I think a lot of this goes back to the Oscars and how that has downgraded over the years.

The Academy Awards had a hateful hashtag about five-seven years ago where people were saying the Oscars are so white. The conclusion or start of this often had people claiming that the award show featured a low percentage of African American and "black" Recognition than what should be in place.

It turns out, it had an overpresentation when considering the percentage of other trades and recognition, but changes were made(not for long) to make sure they appeased more nominees.

Pandering never works as a winning stategy long term, that is why it is called pandering.

Someone brought up The Barbie movie. That was the theme of the Barbie Movie. Anyone who went into the Barbie film not thinking a movie about the original girl power doll would not feature a vibrant yet sincere look at that concept, whether you agree with it or not, is ignorant to what the brand is. They leaned into it and it was sincere. That is largely why it was a hit.

Phroobar

What I always find amusing in these conversations is that the same people who want more virtue signaling in Disney movies inevitably tend to be the same people who say “Who cares about the box office or global audience response?!”

This is a business. Disney can make any product they want. Global audiences will react to the product accordingly.

The issue at hand is that the global audience continues repeatedly to reject these decisions and product in every market around the world.

To expect and encourage Disney to continue down this path shows one’s personal “agenda” in the face of staggering and entirely predictable financial failures.
They are also the ones that didn't see the movie first day but will wait to see it with their "friends" next week.

Chi84

Premium Member
What I always find amusing in these conversations is that the same people who want more virtue signaling in Disney movies inevitably tend to be the same people who say “Who cares about the box office or global audience response?!”

This is a business. Disney can make any product they want. Global audiences will react to the product accordingly.

The issue at hand is that the global audience continues repeatedly, and now almost predictably, to reject these decisions and product in every market around the world.

To expect and encourage Disney to continue down this path shows one’s personal “agenda” in the face of staggering and entirely predictable financial failures.
Disney is a business. It seems it’s a business you no longer wish to patronize. It may change but it’s not going back to the ‘50’s. Why do people who no longer like Disney keep banging their heads against the wall?

LittleBuford

That depends, are you speaking of race in its archaic form? Or ethnicity? Armenian and Greek?
And they were not all Christian. It is fair to say that majority of "white Christian" as you put it in fact came form Europe. There are no absolutes.
That my reply complicates the binary you’re trying to posit should tell you something.

ParkPeeker

Y’all are dumb complaining about “accurate European cast.” As already mentioned, LUCA is right there.

This accuracy is dumb because none of the old Disney fairytale movies were even visually accurate to medieval Europe. But everyone was white in those movies so no one in that lot cares about all the other visual inaccuracies.

That white supremacy semi quote sig doesn’t surprise me at all.

mickEblu

Y’all are dumb complaining about “accurate European cast.” As already mentioned, LUCA is right there.

This accuracy is dumb because none of the old Disney fairytale movies were even visually accurate to medieval Europe. But everyone was white in those movies so no one in that lot cares about all the other visual inaccuracies.

They made them fish for half of the movie to compensate. Isn’t that the argument for Princess and the Frog?

LittleBuford

That white supremacy semi quote doesn’t surprise me at all.
You mean to tell me Snow White isn’t an accurate representation of a medieval German teenager?!

Consumer

The Levant and Asia Minor.
Yes, civilization started in the fertile crescent, but slowly people started migrating towards Europe and their physical features began to reflect their environment. With harsher winters and less sunlight, the people developed lighter skin. The opposite was true towards those who migrated into Africa. And yes, Christianity began in Israel and quickly spread to Rome and Greece as the apostles spread the Gospel. In the 6th century, Clovis I became Catholic, placing the rest of Europe on a trajectory to become Christian.

Is this sufficient knowledge of Western Civ for MrPenguin?

Those visual inaccuracies are rooted in storytelling purposes, not social agendas.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, civilization started in the fertile crescent, but slowly people started migrating towards Europe and their physical features began to reflect their environment. With harsher winters and less sunlight, the people developed lighter skin. The opposite was true towards those who migrated into Africa. And yes, Christianity began in Israel and quickly spread to Rome and Greece as the apostles spread the Gospel. In the 6th century, Clovis I became Catholic, placing the rest of Europe on a trajectory to become Christian.

Is this sufficient knowledge of Western Civ for MrPenguin?
What exactly prompted your signature?

ParkPeeker

They made them fish for half of the movie to compensate. Isn’t that the argument for Princess and the Frog?
The main character was barely a fish compared to how long they were frogs in patf.
You mean to tell me Snow White isn’t an accurate representation of a medieval German teenager?!
Wait till they find out no medieval castle exterior or interior looks like sleeping beauty’s, that the artists MIXED a bunch of stuff together gasp!

mickEblu

The solution is so simple. Prioritize story and quality. Diversity is great. Keep pumping out Cocos, Encantos and PatF’s. But dont do that then ALSO use the European inspired stories or stories set in Europe to be a focus group dream come true. Truth is the folks at the DEI department at Disney suck at their job and just way overshot.

I don’t presume to know the extent of which this is contributing to Disneys issues right now but I know it’s part of the problem. If I, a huge Disney fan who took my family to see the movie on its first day in theatres has this perception than it’s safe to say many others do too. Many others that are probably not spending the money. How many perceptions does it take to create an ugly reality for Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom