Wired Feature "Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband"

jakeman

As to shameless TWDC plugs saw the iWatch Ad last night and it was showing a dancing Mickey Mouse on the face, Yeah I'll pay between $349 and $10,000 (gold version) to get an animated mickey NOT!
How is this shameless? If it had been say MLB.tv or an example of the FitBit app, would those have been shameless plugs for those companies?
At least for our family it's the forced aspect of FP+ and if you do not or cannot use FP you are a second class citizen at WDW, FOTL is a premium experience and if Disney had implemented FP+ in a more guest friendly manner instead of as a substitute for capacity (much like the so called 'Smart Grid' which manages customer power usage instead of building production capacity) I think the experience would be better.
Why are you not a "second class citizen" with FOTL opposed to FP+?

There is a limited supply per day. If you don't purchase into that supply or can't afford it then you are regulated to the standby lines. It's the same outcome of not participating or participation late in FP+.

jakeman

I don't want to have to get my phone out as much as I currently do. I don't mind every once and awhile. I don't wear a watch currently, so why can't there be a tiny one on the magic band? I'm not planning to get an apple watch as I don't use apple products, but I would be interested in seeing more integration of magic band features with all types of smart watches.
Holy carp this.

Why isn't there a watch on the MB? Even a little snap on watch would be fine. I don't wear mine now (either on my belt loop or in my pocket) because I'm not going to replace my watch with it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
How is this shameless? If it had been say MLB.tv or an example of the FitBit app, would those have been shameless plugs for those companies?
Why are you not a "second class citizen" with FOTL opposed to FP+?

There is a limited supply per day. If you don't purchase into that supply or can't afford it then you are regulated to the standby lines. It's the same outcome of not participating or participation late in FP+.

That Mickey face is smart marketing. Mickey watches are engrained in our culture. It's not shameless to show a Mickey face, simply because Mickey faced watches are hugely popular.

Have v. Have not. You can't excuse universal for it, if your going to take Mickey to task for it. Now, is there an arguement that FOTL is better then FP+? Of course. But saying you are forced to use FP+ or suffer a lesser experience, while in the same breath claiming Universal does it right by giving FOTL to a select few of which you happily participate is silliness.

DisneyJoe

Even the option to purchase a watch face for a MaigBand would be nice, similar to all the otther widgets you can get for the band.
I personally would love a MagicBand to have a clock on it. I find myself constantly looking at it for the time.

All of the other widgets you currently get for the MagicBand are not electrical. Perhaps adding the tiny electrical field that a digital clock chip would introduce could possibly interfere with the reading of the band? Any electrical engineers care to comment? Any care to run some tests?

thomas998

I must admit when I watched the live feed of the Apple watch's release, I thought that the watch was a glorified magic band. Now I'm waiting for an app for the apple watch that can be part "magic band" when visiting WDW. I do like interactive technology, but not when it just feels so gimmicky.

If I am Disney why would I want to allow people to use an Apple watch? I make money by selling special magic bands with characters on them, I don't make anything if someone can just use their Apple watch.

punkabella

Got any connections to someone in manufacturing, specifically, cheap watch manufacturing?

This idea is the intellectual property of Jake and Dan enterprises. Don't steal it, Internet weirdos.
Believe I thought of this first and Jake chimed in on my idea... :p

thomas998

I personally would love a MagicBand to have a clock on it. I find myself constantly looking at it for the time.

All of the other widgets you currently get for the MagicBand are not electrical. Perhaps adding the tiny electrical field that a digital clock chip would introduce could possibly interfere with the reading of the band? Any electrical engineers care to comment? Any care to run some tests?

Considering you can often find tiny digital watches in Happy Meals, or buy digital watches in a Dollar Tree I have to think that adding a digital watch with a fairly short life span due to having non-replaceable batteries would probably only add cents to the cost of the Magic Bands... maybe a quarter at most.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Imagine a park that has hundreds of sensors (like those in Be Our Guest) all around to literally monitor you wherever you are in the park. Imagine a giant map of the park (or the resort for that matter) with tens of thousands of little dots moving around, each dot representing a different guest). Imagine the data that could be mined from such information! You could literally track the amount of time it takes from the time each individual guest gets in line until they get on the ride providing amazingly accurate wait times for the rides. You could see (with 100% accuracy) the patterns at which guests move around the park so you could improve staffing, determine which paths need to be widened, determine where you could get the most traffic with a new churro cart... the amount of information (from a business standpoint) would (will) be AMAZING!

Then from a guest standpoint, imagine a system that realizes that you have been riding all the coasters/thrill rides. The system notes that the lines for Thunder Mountain are shorter and therefore, the ride has some capacity to spare. The system also realizes you are close to Thunder Mountain and sends you a text that says "Hey! I see you like thrill rides... Thunder Mountain is close by and the line is currently only 10 minutes!" It's a win/win for both the guest and the park. Or, maybe the system sees you and your group leaving the park and heading towards the bus wait area. The system knows you are staying at Coronado Springs and knows that their is currently a bus at the terminal for Coronado Springs. The system sends a message to the bus to wait an extra 60 seconds and you don't miss the bus. Again, the park wins because it keeps capacity up on the busses and you win because you wait less time for the bus. Same could work at the hotels. The park could literally see the number of people waiting at each bus stop and quickly determine if they need to send more busses.

The wonders of the Magic Band aren't going to be what the guest can do up front with them (like use them to get into the park or their hotel room or for FastPasses)... the wonders are going to be what the park can do behind the scenes with all the data they can collect from these devices...

It still comes down to two issues IMO. First, no matter how many glowing articles are written to convince people that Disney did this to "reduce friction" and for "guest enhancement", I wont believe them. NGE is nothing more than an extremely calculated move to do one thing and one thing only; get people to spend more money. Nothing wrong with making a buck, but hear me out.

Every single feature of NGE that is touted as some innovative way to help the guest is merely a secondary feature of the system, but Disney is smart enough to highlight them as 'the only reason' NGE was created. Tracking data for wait times, locations, food consumed, beverages consumed, where to put a churo cart, buss times, improve staffing, etc, etc, are ALL features that PRIMARILY help Disney save time and money. And thats NOT a bad thing. Just dont advertise it to me as some miraculous enhancement because it allows me to go online and make a reservation guaranteeing I can ride my favorite attractions. And thats where the proof is. Every article praising this system and Disney themselves, focus on that that feature. They rely on the average person simply not understanding that the mathematics of the situation DO NOT LIE no matter how you look at it. They have the same number of attractions as prior to FP+, but they have more guests visiting. Thats all. You cant expedite one wait time without extending another. Its an illusion. Sure, you can sleep in and not have to be at rope drop. Thats great, but you wouldnt even have to worry about that if the company had decided to actually address the attraction capacity issue rather than play musical chairs with guests schedules, which brings me to my second point.

Im sure Disney was aware of the attraction capacity issue and they had two paths they could take.

One, build more attractions to truly disperse crowds which would actually enhance guest experience, reduce wait times, eliminate need to be at rope drop and make visitors want to return but the profits would roll in slower over time.

Two, create a system that allows them to cut back on costs, saving time and money by tracking data and shuffling guests to where its most convenient for park operation.

Both ideas are actually GREAT for the company. Heres where the difference lies in how the company was once operated versus how they currently are operated. The Disney of decades past would have employed an idea like MM+ but they would have done it organically without all the hype. Spending money on attractions was never an issue, they built entire parks back then in less time than it takes to build a D-ticket nowadays. The parks were ran by people that understood theme parks and the accountants played their part to keep things in check.. Fast forward to today and its the opposite. The 'accountants' are in charge, yet the truly creative people that actually had power have been forced out or silenced. Its unbalanced and it shows. We end up with products like NGE. A necessary one, but the current administration is so hung up on numbers that they honestly look at it as if it were as good as building 3 new E ticket attractions in each park and they advertise it as so. I dont even think that quality multi-layered theming is a concept they can even grasp. Building pretty stuff with a theme, ya, they can do that. But layering that theme into a multi-dimensional experience does not compute because they dont see the dollar signs in it. The more they push NGE as a guest enhancement, the more it proves my point. Ive adapted and accepted MM+ and still have a great time at WDW. It is useful, but Ill never buy the point that it was created for me and not them no matter how shiny the box it comes in is, or how many articles are written to convince me of it.

DisneyJoe

Considering you can often find tiny digital watches in Happy Meals, or buy digital watches in a Dollar Tree I have to think that adding a digital watch with a fairly short life span due to having non-replaceable batteries would probably only add cents to the cost of the Magic Bands... maybe a quarter at most.
I know that the cost would be extremely low.

I was more concerned about putting a clock chip on top or too close to the Mickey head/RFID chip on the band and it interfere with the signal. Imagine adding a $0.25 MagicBand Bandit with a clock on it and it keeps you from entering your room or the park.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It still comes down to two issues IMO. First, no matter how many glowing articles are written to convince people that Disney did this to "reduce friction" and for "guest enhancement", I wont believe them. NGE is nothing more than an extremely calculated move to do one thing and one thing only; get people to spend more money. Nothing wrong with making a buck, but hear me out.

Every single feature of NGE that is touted as some innovative way to help the guest is merely a secondary feature of the system, but Disney is smart enough to highlight them as 'the only reason' NGE was created. Tracking data for wait times, locations, food consumed, beverages consumed, where to put a churo cart, buss times, improve staffing, etc, etc, are ALL features that PRIMARILY help Disney save time and money. And thats NOT a bad thing. Just dont advertise it to me as some miraculous enhancement because it allows me to go online and make a reservation guaranteeing I can ride my favorite attractions. And thats where the proof is. Every article praising this system and Disney themselves, focus on that that feature. They rely on the average person simply not understanding that the mathematics of the situation DO NOT LIE no matter how you look at it. They have the same number of attractions as prior to FP+, but they have more guests visiting. Thats all. You cant expedite one wait time without extending another. Its an illusion. Sure, you can sleep in and not have to be at rope drop. Thats great, but you wouldnt even have to worry about that if the company had decided to actually address the attraction capacity issue rather than play musical chairs with guests schedules, which brings me to my second point.

Im sure Disney was aware of the attraction capacity issue and they had two paths they could take.

One, build more attractions to truly disperse crowds which would actually enhance guest experience, reduce wait times, eliminate need to be at rope drop and make visitors want to return but the profits would roll in slower over time.

Two, create a system that allows them to cut back on costs, saving time and money by tracking data and shuffling guests to where its most convenient for park operation.

Both ideas are actually GREAT for the company. Heres where the difference lies in how the company was once operated versus how they currently are operated. The Disney of decades past would have employed an idea like MM+ but they would have done it organically without all the hype. Spending money on attractions was never an issue, they built entire parks back then in less time than it takes to build a D-ticket nowadays. The parks were ran by people that understood theme parks and the accountants played their part to keep things in check.. Fast forward to today and its the opposite. The 'accountants' are in charge, yet the truly creative people that actually had power have been forced out or silenced. Its unbalanced and it shows. We end up with products like NGE. A necessary one, but the current administration is so hung up on numbers that they honestly look at it as if it were as good as building 3 new E ticket attractions in each park and they advertise it as so. I dont even think that quality multi-layered theming is a concept they can even grasp. Building pretty stuff with a theme, ya, they can do that. But layering that theme into a multi-dimensional experience does not compute because they dont see the dollar signs in it. The more they push NGE as a guest enhancement, the more it proves my point. Ive adapted and accepted MM+ and still have a great time at WDW. It is useful, but Ill never buy the point that it was created for me and not them no matter how shiny the box it comes in is, or how many articles are written to convince me of it.
I'd quibble a touch and say that the system was designed not to get guests to spend more money, but for Disney to make more money period. Guest spending, of course, plays a massive part of that. There are also going to be inefficiencies they might be able to correct, surplus/shortages that they can better predict, guest behavior patterns that they can learn to better accommodate (or leverage, depending on your view) to ensure not just more guest spending, but more return visits as well.
I'm convinced that NGE is all about the data. Everything else was just a way to get it. The success of NGE will depend on how good they are at using the data to enable the company to save money it is currently spending, and make more money from the guests.

Last edited:

Todd H

This one is interesting... "They could have Mickey and Snow White find you". That would be really cool! Suprise M&G - show up to sit next to you on a ride, stop by your table during dinner, or at your resort...

Anybody else creeped out by the idea that somebody in a Mickey Mouse costume that I know nothing about could conceivably find my child at our resort?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Believe I thought of this first and Jake chimed in on my idea... :p

You can be a consultant.
Anybody else creeped out by the idea that somebody in a Mickey Mouse costume that I know nothing about could conceivably find my child at our resort?
Why do they need MB tech for that? If your goal is to find kids, here's how to do it at WDW. Enter the park. open your eyes. kids everywhere. I don't think the MB increases the chances of a kid related issue.

Prince-1

I know that the cost would be extremely low.

I was more concerned about putting a clock chip on top or too close to the Mickey head/RFID chip on the band and it interfere with the signal. Imagine adding a $0.25 MagicBand Bandit with a clock on it and it keeps you from entering your room or the park.

They don't need help from a $0.25 watch...it does it on its own

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom