Wired Feature "Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband"

jakeman

Would it not sound rude of me to request the same of you?

Stop coming in the the thread if you dont like it, the thread post will go down, you wont have to read comments that upset you, people will stop voicing their concerns and everything on this site will be more cheery than a group of Lou Mongelo 'Box People'.

Id argue that the people who voice their concerns and still visit and spend money with Disney are far more loyal AND concerned about the future of the parks than any fanboi or defender of the brand. Complaining about the complainers yields absolutely nothing.
Nah, you're just a guest that is so addicted to the magic you'll buy a product you aren't happy with.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Nah, you're just a guest that is so addicted to the magic you'll buy a product you aren't happy with.
Theres a HUGE difference between being critical of a few current aspects vs not being happy with the entire product and its history. Your logic is nothing more than an emotional appeal.

If the Atlanta Falcons new head coach does a horrible job and the team bombs, should I not be critical and discuss it with other Falcons/football fans? Does it mean I hate the entire Falcons organization and its history because of current issues? I would be a hypocrite if I spent another dollar on the team, right?

I cant decide if your constant passive aggressive deflection is rooted in a lack of intelligence or just a defense mechanism to mask your inability to focus on the subject and not the person you disagree with.

jakeman

Theres a HUGE difference between being critical of a few current aspects vs not being happy with the entire product and its history. Your logic is nothing more than an emotional appeal.

If the Atlanta Falcons new head coach does a horrible job and the team bombs, should I not be critical and discuss it with other Falcons/football fans? Does it mean I hate the entire Falcons organization and its history because of current issues? I would be a hypocrite if I spent another dollar on the team, right?

I cant decide if your constant passive aggressive deflection is rooted in a lack of intelligence or just a defense mechanism to mask your inability to focus on the subject and not the person you disagree with.
The fundemental difference between TWDC and a sports team is that a sports team needs it's fans. The players need their fans. Without fans a sports team is nothing. WDW without it's fans, especially the "critical" ones, sees maybe a 1% drop in attendance.

Disney cares about money. It doesn't care about playoffs or championships. For Disney approval is in the bottom line. If you contribute to the bottom line then you are approving of the product as is. A lot of time and virtual ink is spilled justify that simple truth away.

My logic is the exact opposite of an emotional appeal. If you were capable of taking emotion out of it you would either: A) not complain so much, because you would realize it doesn't matter and your complaining is not proportional to your true feelings or B) come to the conclusion to the value of the product and make a decision to continue purchasing it or not.

Also, I think you are confusing my perceived lack of intelligence for a low toleration of existential buffoonery by a small group of sophomoric sheep who haven't had an original thought in about 7 years. Regarding my inability to focus on the subject, I believe I asked you a few pages back what constituted an enhancement that you never answered. Here I'll quote it again for you:

Then what is an enhancement if all of those are justified away as something else? I think you are confusing enhancement with "things I don't like".

Lastly, there was nothing passive about my previous statement to you, so you should probably review the definition of passive aggressive.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The fundemental difference between TWDC and a sports team is that a sports team needs it's fans. The players need their fans. Without fans a sports team is nothing. WDW without it's fans, especially the "critical" ones, sees maybe a 1% drop in attendance.

Disney cares about money. It doesn't care about playoffs or championships. For Disney approval is in the bottom line. If you contribute to the bottom line then you are approving of the product as is. A lot of time and virtual ink is spilled justify that simple truth away.

My logic is the exact opposite of an emotional appeal. If you were capable of taking emotion out of it you would either: A) not complain so much, because you would realize it doesn't matter and your complaining is not proportional to your true feelings or B) come to the conclusion to the value of the product and make a decision to continue purchasing it or not.

Also, I think you are confusing my perceived lack of intelligence for a low toleration of existential buffoonery by a small group of sophomoric sheep who haven't had an original thought in about 7 years. Regarding my inability to focus on the subject, I believe I asked you a few pages back what constituted an enhancement that you never answered. Here I'll quote it again for you:

Lastly, there was nothing passive about my previous statement to you, so you should probably review the definition of passive aggressive.
Im talking about a person passion for a product. It does not matter what business the product comes from. Continuing to support a product even if you have concerns with particular aspects of it does not in any way signify that you are accepting the product as is and that you are "addicted". Just because you say it, it does not make it true. If a band makes a bad album or song, should a person stop listening to them otherwise they will be a supporting a product they dont like? It doesnt mater if its theme parks, cars, music, sports, etc. You basically claim that a person can not support a product (especially one as large as Disney) without being completely complicit in every decision the company makes.

Your passive aggressive posture far exceeds just the back and forth you and I have had. Its as if you wait for a person to disagree with anything Disney has done and then you focus on the person rather than the concern they have raised. Your emotional appeals are more seeded in baiting an individual to elicit an outburst and not discussing what the topic is. You are quite clever and I have enjoyed many of your comments. It makes for a much more interesting investment of my time here. Id rather discuss these issues with someone like yourself who puts up a good defense rather than crying to the mods or resort to the basic strategies of "Disney is a business" or "dont go if you hate it" and then threaten to leave.

Apologies for not responding to your comment the other day. I wasnt saying NFL was not an enhancement. It is. I will concede to that. The level of enhancement is debatable though. NGE being described as an enhancement born strictly out of concern for guests, as the article and Disney describes it, is misleading.

jakeman

Im talking about a person passion for a product. It does not matter what business the product comes from. Continuing to support a product even if you have concerns with particular aspects of it does not in any way signify that you are accepting the product as is and that you are "addicted". Just because you say it, it does not make it true. If a band makes a bad album or song, should a person stop listening to them otherwise they will be a supporting a product they dont like? It doesnt mater if its theme parks, cars, music, sports, etc. You basically claim that a person can not support a product (especially one as large as Disney) without being completely complicit in every decision the company makes.
You (plural) can not like something and not go on about it for several thousand post. That's the point. The most prolific naysayers here have quite literally thousands of post about how much they dislike WDW in it's current state. So I question the sanity of supporting something that causes literally hours of strife.

Your passive aggressive posture far exceeds just the back and forth you and I have had. Its as if you wait for a person to disagree with anything Disney has done and then you focus on the person rather than the concern they have raised. Your emotional appeals are more seeded in baiting an individual to elicit an outburst and not discussing what the topic is. You are quite clever and I have enjoyed many of your comments. It makes for a much more interesting investment of my time here. Id rather discuss these issues with someone like yourself who puts up a good defense rather than crying to the mods or resort to the basic strategies of "Disney is a business" or "dont go if you hate it" and then threaten to leave.
If your talking about my recent forays out here it's because, while I know I'm not the forum police, several naysayers who actually pride themselves on their pessimism have taken to fabricating issues and have a history of doing so that stretches back several months now. While debate is good, lying isn't. So yes, I will call out what I don't believe to be factual information and challenge it. If that comes across to you as a personal attack than so be it.

Apologies for not responding to your comment the other day. I wasnt saying NFL was not an enhancement. It is. I will concede to that. The level of enhancement is debatable though. NGE being described as an enhancement born strictly out of concern for guests, as the article and Disney describes it, is misleading.
Levels are always debated. NGE is an enhancement, but I think only the most deluded subscribe to the theory that it was primary for guest enjoyment. However, I think you can talk about that aspect as the key driver without that being dishonest. Anyone who reads Wired is probably tech savvy enough to glean he data collection benefits without it being spelled out.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You (plural) can not like something and not go on about it for several thousand post. That's the point. The most prolific naysayers here have quite literally thousands of post about how much they dislike WDW in it's current state. So I question the sanity of supporting something that causes literally hours of strife.

If your talking about my recent forays out here it's because, while I know I'm not the forum police, several naysayers who actually pride themselves on their pessimism have taken to fabricating issues and have a history of doing so that stretches back several months now. While debate is good, lying isn't. So yes, I will call out what I don't believe to be factual information and challenge it. If that comes across to you as a personal attack than so be it.

Levels are always debated. NGE is an enhancement, but I think only the most deluded subscribe to the theory that it was primary for guest enjoyment. However, I think you can talk about that aspect as the key driver without that being dishonest. Anyone who reads Wired is probably tech savvy enough to glean he data collection benefits without it being spelled out.
Fair enough

Edit to add: I dont take anything as a personal attack, especially online. Its very easy to confuse the emotion/opinion being conveyed through text. As i said prior, Ive enjoyed your contrary views and posts. It helps to keep things balanced and at times has caused me to take a pause and reevaluate certain things.

Last edited:

jakeman

Fair enough

Edit to add: I dont take anything as a personal attack, especially online. Its very easy to confuse the emotion/opinion being conveyed through text. As i said prior, Ive enjoyed your contrary views and posts. It helps to keep things balanced and at times has caused me to take a pause and reevaluate certain things.
Well said. Tip of the hat to you good sir.

That sounds lame. I'll show myself out. :cautious:

xstech25

While all that makes sense, how does it relate to my post?
My point being bigger crowds doesn't always mean you just add more stuff to deal with it because it's entirely possible to lose money off of expansion even with bigger crowds. So the science behind "moving people around" and getting the crowds to be dispersed actually is really important and part of an overall strategy (which expansion obviously is part of).

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A technical perspective on magic bands and what they mean - not just for Disney, but for how we interact with technology moving forward.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/?mbid=social_twitter

A friction free experience for a fortunate few, I'm pretty sure the Guests over Presidents day weekend were NOT feeling the Magic from the band...

The MB certainly introduced a new experience at WDW, Spending hours at GR trying to resolve technical issues. Tech Support and WDW - two things I never thought I would see at WDW, But unlike peanut butter and chocolate they do not go well together.

jakeman

A friction free experience for a fortunate few, I'm pretty sure the Guests over Presidents day weekend were NOT feeling the Magic from the band...

The MB certainly introduced a new experience at WDW, Spending hours at GR trying to resolve technical issues. Tech Support and WDW - two things I never thought I would see at WDW, But unlike peanut butter and chocolate they do not go well together.
A fortunate few? I'm sure you have a source to support that a majority of people have issues with their bands.

I know I've not had to spend anytime at guest relation for a band failure.

Oh and you have not responded to my question earlier in this thread on how no participation in FOTL at Uni is different than no participation in FP.

EDIT: Just so where are clear, I'm not saying there aren't problems, but to say that only a few have no issues is your typical factless hyperbole.

Last edited:

bhg469

This thread is starting to look like the pre MM+ boards!

All you people stop going to Disney, make the parks lose some money. Prices will stop increasing, attractions will get built competitively, vacation specials will be great!

People won't stop, Disney is too much fun, and the MM+ is worth it. I actually wish MM+ was in California for our June visit.
MM+ was worth it to disney. They're long term goal is to make you spend more money.. it is NOT worth 2 billion to guests because it provides very little enhancements and took away money from what could have been a much better NFL. Heck the mine train went through at least 3 scaled back iterations of itself before we got a 2 minute kiddie coaster.

Looks at attractions like Mystic Manor or Arthur the ride and tell me with a strait face that disney has built anything even close to as entertaining in the past decade at wdw.

Look at the next two things coming that you can actually ride. Toy story and soarin expansions..

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
took away money from what could have been a much better NFL.

Source?

or, more likely, it is your opinion. Which is fine, but should not be stated as fact. Disney has been scaling back attractions since well before NGE. If that 2 billion didn't go towards Nextgen, we have no reason to believe it would have went anywhere else in WDW, especially to NFL.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Source?

or, more likely, it is your opinion. Which is fine, but should not be stated as fact. Disney has been scaling back attractions since well before NGE. If that 2 billion didn't go towards Nextgen, we have no reason to believe it would have went anywhere else in WDW, especially to NFL.
That brings up a good question. What will help congestion at the parks (mostly MK) more? $2 billion in new attractions spread across the parks, or Avatar Land and Star Wars land? I would say Avatar and SW. Much bigger draw and will keep people around longer in AK and HS compared to a single new attraction.

I moan about the parks with the best of em, but a tiny part of me keeps saying " Chill out, Disney knows what theyre doing". Maybe they know its worth the wait to have 2 new lands in 2 different parks rather than a few C, D, and E tickets spread around. With Diagon Alley being a hit and Kong looking to be extremely nice, Disney very well may up the ante with Avatar or SW. If it means waiting a few years, fine. They just have to do it right. Just dont stop at 'good enough', go that extra mile, spend that little extra even if it may seem expensive. I think thats where NFL falls short for some people. Its just missing that little tiny something extra to put it over the top. Dont get me wrong, NFL is nice, the atmosphere is AMAZING, the substance is just slightly lacking, IMO. In fairness, we have missed Gaston the last two trips and really look forward to seeing him. The guy who plays him is awesome and maybe that experience will give NFL a few bonus points for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom