Wired Feature "Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband"

punkabella

I must admit when I watched the live feed of the Apple watch's release, I thought that the watch was a glorified magic band. Now I'm waiting for an app for the apple watch that can be part "magic band" when visiting WDW. I do like interactive technology, but not when it just feels so gimmicky.

216bruce

Great article. Thanks for the share. I understand somewhat better now why the darn thing cost so much to roll-out. It's sort of like rewiring your house, assuming your house is REALLY, REALLY big. Like 24+ square miles big and you have a really, really big family. Our experience with MM+ has been fine, seamless (once we learned it and accepted the change).

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I must admit when I watched the live feed of the Apple watch's release, I thought that the watch was a glorified magic band. Now I'm waiting for an app for the apple watch that can be part "magic band" when visiting WDW. I do like interactive technology, but not when it just feels so gimmicky.

I thought the same thing - I think it's W Hotels that is showing how the Apple Watch can open your hotel room door. I wouldn't be surprised if a magic band app did make its way to WDW soon (I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not, though).

bhg469

The smart watch market is very saturated, now apple has one for their own that does little more that the ones that have been out for years.

If it replaces the magic band and someone drops a grand for that ability... good for them I guess.

Furiated

I totally see the Apple Watch integrating into WDW. From Apple Pay to opening doors at the Swalphin. A lot of it is already in place.

I feel the same way, they can totally extend the existing MDE app to the Apple Watch to show upcoming FPs and ADRs and even buzz to remind you of them.

Didn't someone say that the Apple Watch and the Magic Bands have similar/compatible NFC so that in theory you might be able to replace a Magic Band with your Apple Watch someday?

dstrawn9889

nfc is a STANDARD...(that means that they all work the same that can call themselves NFC) just like DVD, Bluray, 802.11g, 3G, 4G. the difference is if Disney WANTS to accept NFC ID's that are unlike the set they use for the magicbands. they could use the same chips that are inserted sub-dermally as well

Jon81uk

Thanks. It read like a puff piece written by someone at Disney.

Given he did get interviews with Tom & Meg I expect Disney did check what was begin written. But I don't think the whole article was written by Disney

I feel the same way, they can totally extend the existing MDE app to the Apple Watch to show upcoming FPs and ADRs and even buzz to remind you of them.

Didn't someone say that the Apple Watch and the Magic Bands have similar/compatible NFC so that in theory you might be able to replace a Magic Band with your Apple Watch someday?

Well you already can use ApplePay at the cash desk in stores, so I expect AppleWatch to work as well. The biggest thing it won't do is the long-range RFID stuff like automatic on-ride photos and locating you in BOG. The NFC only turns on in the Watch/phone when you ask it to be on so it will work more like a plastic card ticket.

donsullivan

Premium Member

Right now Apple restricts access to the RFID chips in the phone and Watch for use only with ApplePay and it's not currently available for developers to use in their apps. But history has taught us that after 1 or 2 generations (think Touch ID), they get comfortable that they have the security features locked down tight enough to allow developers to leverage it. It's probably at least a year away but Disney would likely want to be able to maintain the BlueToothLE functionality they have in the bands as well before they'd be prepared to make the investment in that.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Very much liked the article. I wish they would have touched more on the kinds of things they are getting out of the massive amounts of data that they are gathering. That's the part that intrigues me the most.

There was a good point in there that I really felt described my experiences.
“It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back.

While there are folks that hate the idea of scheduling their trip in advance, I've found that the trips I've taken post-MB have been the most relaxed, spontaneous trips I've taken in a decade. Schedule the things you really care about, let the rest come, change things on the fly if needed.

BoarderPhreak

Right now Apple restricts access to the RFID chips in the phone and Watch for use only with ApplePay and it's not currently available for developers to use in their apps. But history has taught us that after 1 or 2 generations (think Touch ID), they get comfortable that they have the security features locked down tight enough to allow developers to leverage it. It's probably at least a year away but Disney would likely want to be able to maintain the BlueToothLE functionality they have in the bands as well before they'd be prepared to make the investment in that.

Exactly. It's just a matter of time.

JohnD

“The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back.​

That's debatable. Plenty of discussions on this board that FP+ does just the opposite.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
“The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.” And that feeling of ease, and whatever flows from it, just might make you more apt to come back.​

That's debatable. Plenty of discussions on this board that FP+ does just the opposite.
Quite debatable indeed. I've done one trip with MB. The advance planning was the opposite of spontaneous. And I wouldn't have been able to secure FPs to SDMT, TSMM and a few others without the advance planning. However, we've long had to book ADRs for popular restaurants way in advance. At least FP+ is only 60 days, instead of 180.

Staggs' comment is correct in that we did feel like we could be more spontaneous and flexible in some ways once we arrived. We didn't have to get there at park opening to get FPs at reasonable times for popular attractions. So we could sleep in if we felt like it. We didn't have to split up with one person going to get FPs before meeting up with others elsewhere -- instead we could all stay together. I could make changes to dining and FPs while standing in lines using the app, and I could choose times (within availability) for FPs instead of taking whatever the machine spit out. All of this allowed us more freedom and spontaneity.

But that was only available to us because we were willing to decide, 60 days out, which park we would go to on which days. We did change a couple of those days, and while we ended up with reasonable FPs and dining, it wasn't easy and wasn't what we hoped for. And that shows the downside and counter-argument to Staggs' comment. If you are the type that doesn't want to decide which park to go to in advance, doesn't buy tickets in advance, or doesn't plan your trips much in advance, you lose. So planners get more spontaneity during their trip, while those like to be more free-wheeling about their trip get less freedom in their free-wheeling.

Last edited:

jakeman

Quite debatable in deed. I've done one trip with MB. The advance planning was the opposite of spontaneous. And I wouldn't have been able to secure FPs to SDMT, TSMM and a few others without the advance planning. However, we've long had to book ADRs for popular restaurants way in advance. At least FP+ is only 60 days, instead of 180.

Staggs' comment is correct in that we did feel like we could be more spontaneous and flexible in some ways once we arrived. We didn't have to get there at park opening to get FPs at reasonable times for popular attractions. So we could sleep in if we felt like it. We didn't have to split up with one person going to get FPs before meeting up with others elsewhere -- instead we could all stay together. I could make changes to dining and FPs while standing in lines using the app, and I could choose times (within availability) for FPs instead of taking whatever the machine spit out. All of this allowed us more freedom and spontaneity.

But that was only available to us because we were willing to decide, 60 days out, which park we would go to on which days. We did change a couple of those days, and while we ended up with reasonable FPs and dining, it wasn't easy and wasn't what we hoped for. And that shows the downside and counter-argument to Staggs' comment. If you are the type that doesn't want to decide which park to go to in advance, doesn't buy tickets in advance, or doesn't plan your trips much in advance, you lose. So planners get more spontaneity during their trip, while those like to be more free-wheeling about their trip get less freedom in their free-wheeling.
I guess it boils down to how flexible with what your "must-dos" (shout out to Stacey!) are.

If you (plural) must eat at Chef Mickey, Cinderella's Table, and Le Celier and ride Soarin, 7DMT, and TSMM (and are unwilling to get to the park early or wait in the standby line) then you're (again plural) going to have a bad time.

However, if I got up this morning and just decided right now to head to MK, there is availability for everything except Frozen M&G and 7DMT. Dinner would be late, but everything but BoG and Cindy's is available tonight.

I know, and acknowledge, that many folks around here have a set way they like to experience the park and MM+ doesn't facilitate that.

I don't think I'm providing a counter-point so much as adding a different dimension to the conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom