Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes

Buzzforprez

Hmmmm. Let's see. Worst cade scenario. Have to rearrange travel home plans and pay additional fees. Maybe get suspended at work for coming back a day late. All just to stay in the Castle overnight????? Yeah if I was everyone else I would turn it down too. Besides they keep you guarded, no alcohol, got to get evicted the next morning, have to be in some silly parade. Nah, no one should want to do this. :hammer:

Just incase anyone here has the unfortunate experience of being picked, fear not. Just call me and I will fly down and suffer this indignity for you. It is the least I can do being a public servant and whatnot. I won't like it, but it would be my duty.:p

mk4me

Popcorn...food allergies or other diet related issues.

Just because you can't imagine any reason to turn the prizes down, doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't valid reasons for others (even Disney fanatics!)

Also, sometimes things aren't under ones control and they have no choice.

Be careful who you judge, you may end up in their shoes one day!

ToTBellHop

The point is that some of the same people that thought this was a great idea when it was announced are now bashing it because it is too difficult to move a days worth of clothing to another room.

You are getting a VIP tour that very few will get. How could you say you are a big Disney fan and turn down the chance to do something that very few will even be offered?
I'm a true Disney fan but I also live in the real world, value my job, and value the thousands of dollars that I spend on a Disney vacation. I'm a grad student, so it's not as though I have piles of money laying around to fly down to Florida from Connecticut. There are plenty of truly unique Disney experiences I would turn down--one could argue it would be truly unique to urinate into the volcano on Peter Pan's Flight or to throw up on Spaceship Earth, but I choose not to and am still a fan. As with just about everything pertaining to the YoaMD, I think this was a good idea in premise, but not executed very well. You won't find me complaining about getting a free churro, though I do think calling that someone's "dream" is ridiculous. Also, some people would rather not appear in a 6-year old parade. I don't want to sit through that parade normally, let alone be in it. Send me to Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade any day.

KodiakPA

This type of thing happens all the time... I have to correct countless guests a day who are convinced that Fastpass is only for certain "special people" or that there is some kind of an extra cost attatched.

I wounder if people think it costs extra because other parks (Universal, six flags, etc.) charge extra to have a fast pass for their rides.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
You have to BYOB, but you can consume them in the suite. I always have some wine in my room, so it wouldn't be a problem. And most resorts sell wine & beer in the gift shop, so you could stop while making the transfer.

Wine? Did someone suggest wine??? *perks Up*

Oh do go on :-D

Eyorefan

I'm a true Disney fan but I also live in the real world, value my job, and value the thousands of dollars that I spend on a Disney vacation. I'm a grad student, so it's not as though I have piles of money laying around to fly down to Florida from Connecticut. There are plenty of truly unique Disney experiences I would turn down--one could argue it would be truly unique to urinate into the volcano on Peter Pan's Flight or to throw up on Spaceship Earth, but I choose not to and am still a fan. As with just about everything pertaining to the YoaMD, I think this was a good idea in premise, but not executed very well. You won't find me complaining about getting a free churro, though I do think calling that someone's "dream" is ridiculous. Also, some people would rather not appear in a 6-year old parade. I don't want to sit through that parade normally, let alone be in it. Send me to Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade any day.

LOL! I loved this post. :sohappy:

PurpleDragon

The point is that some of the same people that thought this was a great idea when it was announced are now bashing it because it is too difficult to move a days worth of clothing to another room.

You are getting a VIP tour that very few will get. How could you say you are a big Disney fan and turn down the chance to do something that very few will even be offered?

I think you are misinterpereting what people are saying here. The OP said people turned down prizes and wondered why, people are simply giving examples as to why people may turn down said prizes, they aren't saying they would.

As others have said "To each his own", what is a great experience for you may not be for me, and vice versa. To say that someone turning down a prize because it doesnt appeal to them, makes them less of a Disney fan is a bit harsh don't you think? I personally don't like popcorn, if a Disney employee offered me some free popcorn as part of the YoaMD promotion and I turned it down, does that make me less of a Disney fan? I mean honestly your statement is a bit overboard I think.

If I were picked to stay in the Castle Suite when I'm down there this summer, I would take it in a heartbeat because my 5 year old Goddaughter would love it. HOWEVER, I don't have any interest in spending the rest of my day being rushed all over magic kingdom to be in parades and other promotions. I said yes to staying in the castle, not to being an employee/promotional tool of WDW for the day. :rolleyes:

We were selected by the dream team at AK last week for a 6 pass fast pass for the day. I almost turned it down so they could give it to a family that could have used it more. It was a cold busy Sunday on President's weekend.
We had just done the Safari, and my one daughter is to young for coasters and my other daughter and my self are too chicken. It was cold so no wait for Kali. We really only got benefit from the dinosaur FP. I wish we had a FP for the Nemo show that line was LONG!

So I can see it.

maelstrom

I definitely wouldn't want to be awaked at 7a on my castle stay morning to be rushed around going to a meal in the castle (of food that I don't eat anyhow), to be in a parade that I don't even like, etc. I read somewhere that's how early they wake you up. We like to sleep in and enjoy our VACATION and not run around like madmen trying to fit everything in. So, again, I'd probably turn down a night in the castle.

JerMerBear

I think the only way I'd say no would be if I knew they were doing rehearsals for the Castle Show the evening I'm set to stay there. I don't know if I'd want to hear Dream Along with Mickey till the weee hours of the morning.

Otherwise, grab my stuff and get me in that suite!

DisneyChik17

If we get picked on our next trip, I don't want to do this. While a stay in the castle is really neat, it is the other things that go with it that make it less appealing. I don't want to be in a parade. I mean, who am I to the average guest? Some lucky 18 year old stealing the dream of their little princess. They don't know me, nor do they care that my crowing acheivment for the day is winning a stay in Cindy's castle. At the same time, I don't want to give up my day of riding the rides and watching the shows just to flaunt that they picked a family of 3 adult aged people. Honestly, it is not the best prize in the world for alot of people.

Does that mean that I don't love the parks and Disney in general? No. It simply means that I would rather see a little girl dressed like a princess get it or have my night given to the make a wish foundation or some one else who would really appreciate it.

jcc0621

Shoot, if they told me I won a noght in the castle I'd run into the closest store and buy what I would need (which in turn makes Disney more money, I know:eek: ). Should be able to buy some shorts/tshirts, underwear for pajamas and the next day. There is NO WAY I would turn it down. There is a concierge there all night, have him go get you toothbrushes, etc. Leave my luggage in my other room and I'll get it the next day!

smk

Wouldn't it make more sense for the castle to be offered as a "dream" to a family when they are just checking in? What if you went to your resort and were offered the first night in the castle? I would go without question. If it were my last night and the timing with flights etc...was right, I would go. Come to think of it, I would go no matter what, but that is me. It would kill me to win that prize and have to say no, popcorn or a churro I could turn down (well, maybe;) ), the Castle? I would be hard pressed to say no.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A thought...

Not everyone in the MK even flew in or is staying at a resort. Locals could live several hours away and have work or a job early the next morning, or heck, even later that day.

If you tell them you have to leave by 5am to get to work, would they even let you stay?

Shoot, if they told me I won a noght in the castle I'd run into the closest store and buy what I would need (which in turn makes Disney more money, I know:eek: ). Should be able to buy some shorts/tshirts, underwear for pajamas and the next day. There is NO WAY I would turn it down. There is a concierge there all night, have him go get you toothbrushes, etc. Leave my luggage in my other room and I'll get it the next day!

I totally agree...this would be me and my family :ROFLOL:

Launchpad

Account Suspended
My point wasn't to accuse someone of not being a Disney fan because they turn down a prize. The point is that some people just find a negative in everything Disney does. Even the same people that thought staying in the castle was a unrealistic possibility, so when it was announced that they could, were excited for it. Now the same people are bashing it. I think it is mainly a jealousy issue over anything else.

About saying how could you be a huge Disney fan and turn down the opportunity, it was in reference to "It's such a pain to pack up my stuff to go stay in a castle." Most huge Disney fan wouldn't care about getting their things together for such a great experience. Other factors (work, flying home, etc.) are understandable, but "I'm too lazy to pack" is just crazy to me.

JikoMarie

I think you are misinterpereting what people are saying here. The OP said people turned down prizes and wondered why, people are simply giving examples as to why people may turn down said prizes, they aren't saying they would.

{snip}

If I were picked to stay in the Castle Suite when I'm down there this summer, I would take it in a heartbeat because my 5 year old Goddaughter would love it. HOWEVER, I don't have any interest in spending the rest of my day being rushed all over magic kingdom to be in parades and other promotions. I said yes to staying in the castle, not to being an employee/promotional tool of WDW for the day. :rolleyes:

Just to be clear on my own viewpoint: Personally I don't care if people decline the prize or not. My comment was about people going on like it was wrong for Disney to offer these prizes or that they are doing it all wrong. This is a tad negative to me.

Also, people are assuming that you have to be in the parades and whatnot as part of the deal to stay in Cindy's Castle. I haven't seen it written that this is mandatory or part of the deal. Could it be that they are simply offering you extra opportunities to go along with the prize? I don't think it's impossible for someone to decline the "promotional tool" bits and still spend a night in the suite. It seems silly to be looking at this so closely, in my opinion, since the odds of actually being chosen for this specific dream are great.

EthylCooper

There are definitely people who'll think there's gotta be a catch and say no.

Last year, DS and I were at AK when Everest was in soft openings virtually full time, we rode 18 times over two days of visits to AK. I overheard a family telling their children that they couldn't go on it because it was "only for special guests". The kids seemed genuinely disappointed, so I ventured over to tell the parents that, in fact it was open to anybody in the park and DS and I had already ridden five times that morning. Then they asked "Well how much extra did that cost?" I said nothing, it was free and they refused to believe me. :shrug:

I've seen lots of people who thought you had to pay extra for things like fast passes or soft open riding...but you might have happened upon some parents who just didn't want to ride and were trying to fudge the reason so their kids wouldn't throw a fit. ;) It wouldn't be the first time I saw kids being lied to in the parks...

angelfaerie52

You have to BYOB, but you can consume them in the suite. I always have some wine in my room, so it wouldn't be a problem. And most resorts sell wine & beer in the gift shop, so you could stop while making the transfer.

You'd think they'd still provide it to you via the Concierge service... I wonder if the Mickey Mouse Suite at DL has a minibar or something like that....

dvitali

Since my last trip I to MK, I would have seen and rode all the rides that I would care to see. So if I were chosen to spend the night at the castle, I would turn down the front of the line fastpass and would ask to see anything that a normal visitor to MK would not see , like the tunnels, backstage at parade route, or a front row seat at a castle shows or go backstage after a show and meet the cast members. I even would like to be named as a Cast member for the day. Since I never ate a meal in the Castle, I would make sure that they serve me Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and have one of those all you can eat buffet meals before going to spend the night in the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom