Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes

ToTBellHop

oh...how about a stay in the Hollywood Tower Hotel?! I would TOTALLY do that! I'm sure they have room somewhere in the Tower of Terror for a suite, and that would actually be one of my dreams.

RSoxNo1

The castle suite may not be "my thing" either, but it's definitely a cool story, something that I otherwise wouldn't be able to do on a Disney vacation. I don't think it's necessarily on par with some of the other "cool stories" proposed earlier by people that disagreed with the belief that "it's cool to say that you spent a night in the castle."

With that said, I do think __________________ in the tin foil volcano on Peter Pan's flight might make for a better story.

JikoMarie

Taken from the WDWMAgic News page:

This leads me to believe that its a package. By accepting the offerr to stay in the castle, one also accepts the rest of the package. I may be wrong in assuming, but thats the way I see it.

{snip}

There are always 2 sides to an arguement, all I'm saying is don't down people for trying to put things in perspective and see both of those sides. :animwink:

PurpleDragon, I read the news snippet that you quoted in your post. I still don't see where it says that you have to do all of those things. I think they are simply outlining all of the things that you get to do. I have read news reports from people who won that prize and it seems to me that the night is much more customizable than people here realize. One person talked about asking to roam through the park at night and was able to do that with a chaperone, for instance. All of this may very well be required but we have nothing as of yet that says so. It's still ambiguous.

I hope that your second comment wasn't directed at me. Again, I'm not putting anyone down for declining the prizes. That's their choice. I'm just saying that we might be a little in the dark as to what the prizes actually entail.

I don't think I'd get selected because they often seem to say "first family to be here at whatever time" and since it's usually me and a fellow male partner, we would not be considered a "family" (even though we are.)

But if I got offered that prize, I'd have a hard time deciding. Would I love to do it? Sure! But I'm local, I don't have my stuff with me and I doubt I'd want to drive home, get my stuff, and drive back, specially considering what a pain it is to get to/from the MK thanks to the monorail, tram, TTC, etc.

David, I think that these prizes have nothing to do with "families". It seems as though they are awarded randomly to individuals. So if you are the fourth adult to walk out of the Main Street Bakery, for example, you are the winner regardless of who you are travelling with. I do know what you mean though about many things being "family" oriented and Disney having a certain definition of "family". It is frustrating.

ETA: Also, David, I'm pretty sure that conceirge could provide you with the necessities you need for the night/morning without you having to return home or buy stuff.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
A dear friend of mine, who is a Dream Squad CM has told me that they have been instructed by management to have a preference for families...

...so much for me getting anything more.

MickeyTigg

Why in the world do people think they should be reimbursed for their existing room reservation for the night they're in the Castle Suite??? That's so absurd!
  1. You'd be paying it if you didn't win.
  2. They hold the room for you and it's still "yours" for the night you're not sleeping in it. (i.e. You don't have to check out, you can keep your stuff in the room and anyone in your party who didn't want to stay in the Castle can still stay in your existing room)
  3. You're getting an additional and upgraded room for the night.
:brick:

If you have valid reasons why you can't be there the next day to fully enjoy the timeframe of the Castle stay, that's fine. (Shame, but fine.) But to say you wouldn't take it unless they gave you your money back for your existing room is just downright crazy.
-m

At what I'm paying for my annual allotment of DVC points and having a 2 BR Villa at my disposal....I'm not sure the castle would be an upgrade.

I'd be trading a spacious two BR villa for a suped up hotel room with an ugly bothroom in the castle where I'm essentially being held prisoner for the night.

No thanks.

JikoMarie

A dear friend of mine, who is a Dream Squad CM has told me that they have been instructed by management to have a preference for families...

This may be true for many of the dreams but my understanding of the Castle Suite dream is that it's completely mathematical and computerized.

Ansem

Well, let me just say that I completely understand that sometimes fate is pretty cruel...If you are on the last day of your trip, can't change flights, can't call in sick, etc etc...it happens to us all. The whole 'I don't want to have to move everything' is a problem I would never have, I'd give my right arm and all of my luggage just to stay there, but that is me, not someone else and it's their right to feel that way.

However, this is a contest. If you win, no matter what you win, you can't say, "Thanks but I'd rather take <insert other prize/option here>."
How many contests have you ever entered contain specific prizes? Usually you will hear 'One lucky guest gets a grand prize, while 500 others will recieve nice but smaller prizes'. This is the same, while you may want a free token item or treat, the choice is not yours. Demeaning the event by saying that it's function is poor because of this is just absurd...Would you say that another contest which rewards you with a 2007 honda civic is not that wonderful, because you'd prefer a Toyota? So you don't want to stay in Cinderella's castle, that is perfectly okay, there will be someone out there who's dream will come true because of it...That to me, shows that this contest works wonderfully..And if you are the one who turns it down, take heart, you're making someone who truly wants this happy.

But this is just my opinion on this... :p

MickeyTigg

Well, let me just say that I completely understand that sometimes fate is pretty cruel...If you are on the last day of your trip, can't change flights, can't call in sick, etc etc...it happens to us all. The whole 'I don't want to have to move everything' is a problem I would never have, I'd give my right arm and all of my luggage just to stay there, but that is me, not someone else and it's their right to feel that way.

However, this is a contest. If you win, no matter what you win, you can't say, "Thanks but I'd rather take <insert other prize/option here>."
How many contests have you ever entered contain specific prizes? Usually you will hear 'One lucky guest gets a grand prize, while 500 others will recieve nice but smaller prizes'. This is the same, while you may want a free token item or treat, the choice is not yours. Demeaning the event by saying that it's function is poor because of this is just absurd...Would you say that another contest which rewards you with a 2007 honda civic is not that wonderful, because you'd prefer a Toyota? So you don't want to stay in Cinderella's castle, that is perfectly okay, there will be someone out there who's dream will come true because of it...That to me, shows that this contest works wonderfully..And if you are the one who turns it down, take heart, you're making someone who truly wants this happy.

But this is just my opinion on this... :p

Ahhh....but most contests have two options that this "contest" does not.

1. If you're not interested in the prize....you don't have to enter. The only way to not "enter" this contest is to avoid the American Disney Parks until the contest is over.

2. Most contests have the option of taking the "cash value" of the prize if you don't want the prize....no such option available here.

marchofthecards

It actually doesn't surprise me that people turn this down. I think it would be kind of a pain to be all settled into your hotel and then suddenly have to move everything to another hotel room just for one night. I think if the prize was maybe 3 or 4 nights in the Castle, it would be much more appealing to people. Plus, I question to what degree the vast majority of guests have really ever "dreamed" of spending a night in Cinderella Castle.

Er... why would you need to move everything from your hotel for one night? Why even go back to the hotel for something? Hey, for me... the Contemporary sells toiletries, so there I can buy a toothbrush. I can get some PJ's in the park, I'm all set...
You would have to vacate the castle in the morning anyway. We've left our things in the hotel (Orlando) while we have dashed up to Disneyland, Anaheim for 3 days.
I'm sure Cinderella leaves enough complimentary soap, shampoo, conditioner and a shower cap, oh and a little choc on your pillow :lookaroun

I'm glad people like that turn it down, it means someone else who appreciates the value of the giveaway gets to have a chance. "Can't be bothered to move our things from our hotel" ??? Common low life bums!!!

LilDucky

Why in the world do people think they should be reimbursed for their existing room reservation for the night they're in the Castle Suite??? That's so absurd!
  1. You'd be paying it if you didn't win.
  2. They hold the room for you and it's still "yours" for the night you're not sleeping in it. (i.e. You don't have to check out, you can keep your stuff in the room and anyone in your party who didn't want to stay in the Castle can still stay in your existing room)
  3. You're getting an additional and upgraded room for the night.
:brick:

If you have valid reasons why you can't be there the next day to fully enjoy the timeframe of the Castle stay, that's fine. (Shame, but fine.) But to say you wouldn't take it unless they gave you your money back for your existing room is just downright crazy.
-m
I'm in total agreement :wave:

I see it as a take it or leave it kinda thing :shrug:

I'd take it. Heck... we took going to the front of the line for Soarin when we were "awarded" it :lol: The line was over 2 hours long! :lol:

Ansem

Ahhh....but most contests have two options that this "contest" does not.

1. If you're not interested in the prize....you don't have to enter. The only way to not "enter" this contest is to avoid the American Disney Parks until the contest is over.

2. Most contests have the option of taking the "cash value" of the prize if you don't want the prize....no such option available here.

Very true, but you could say that just being in the park is 'entering' the contest...Which, yes you could avoid the parks, but the better way to handle it is to just refuse the prize allowing someone who wants it to win. :)
And taking a cash prize option...I don't even want to imagine how much money would be lost on giving out, per day, the amount one night in Cinderella's suite would cost, and there are no set prices for things like fast passes/parades/tours etc...So giving a cash prize in place of winning something is borerline impossible. My point is that we should just appreciate this, because it's wonderful that we can even have the chance to win something or give it to someone else who would truly love it...and honestly I have never before heard people complain about winning something for free by simply going on vacation. It just doesn't get much better than that.

taylorsmommy530

All I have to say is, if I won a night in the castle, I'd accept it in a heartbeat....it may not be my dream, but it is most certainly my little girl's dream! That would be a memory to last a lifetime!!!:)

MouseMadness

All I have to say is, if I won a night in the castle, I'd accept it in a heartbeat....it may not be my dream, but it is most certainly my little girl's dream! That would be a memory to last a lifetime!!!:)

Same here!

In fact, we'd discussed stashing ourselves at different places to up the odds of being in the right place at the right time. :lookaroun

So if anybody sees a 10 month old baby boy in his stroller just sitting there in a couple weeks... DON'T MOVE HIM! (Unless you know where he needs to be to win)
ha.gif

:lookaroun

There are circumstances where you'd have to say no. Booked to fly home that evening and squeezing in a last day at the parks and they come to offer the suite? Love to... but it'll cost me possibly thousands to re-schedule my flights or I have to be at work tomorrow for an important meeting only I can handle?

Any number of scenarios come to mind.

I live in the UK, and If I were offered the stay in the castle but it was the last day of our trip I'd re-arrange flight times, work commitments etc just to do it!

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm afraid I jsut don't get what the big deal of staying in the castle is:shrug: .

I mean if you could earn it . . . maybe by eating 150 hot dogs or something . . . then I could see that it would be something that you could be proud of, but just to be able to say you spent a night there after being picked at random doesn't seem like any big deal to me.

But most people seem to like it, so I think it's cool that they're doing it, but if given the choice, I'd rather just have a few fast-passes.

MouseMadness

I guess none of it is a big deal, really, but we seem to have a habit of making it a big deal! :king: :lol: :lookaroun

I'd look at it as.... I'm at WDW already, and by golly, if they wanna give me something, anything, for that, then yay. If not... I'm still at WDW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom