Willow

Serpico Jones

We've liked this show more and more with each episode. I will come right out and say it is miles better than Rings of Power.

Yes, we noticed the moment Elora's hair started turning red.

There will be more seasons. Val Kilmer was going to show up in this season but couldn't due to Covid and his health issues. He will likely show up in some form at some point (even if through a CGI trick using his face and someone else's voice).

I assume Christian Slater's character is not dead and will appear again also. Oops, was I not supposed to have spoilers.
I hope you’re right and the show does get picked up for a second season. I for one think this and Andor are the two best live action shows Disney has made for Disney+.

Phroobar

I hope you’re right and the show does get picked up for a second season. I for one think this and Andor are the two best live action shows Disney has made for Disney+.
I'm wondering. Do you like the teen shows on your local WB channel? Stuff like the 7th Heaven, Popular, Everwood, Dawson's Creek, Flash, Birds of Prey, Batwoman, Buffy or Legends of Tomorrow?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm wondering. Do you like the teen shows on your local WB channel? Stuff like the 7th Heaven, Popular, Everwood, Dawson's Creek, Flash, Birds of Prey, Batwoman, Buffy or Legends of Tomorrow?
I disagree with the assertion that the series is written like a teen WB show. Yes its YA series but I think its better written than a majority of WB show, especially the ones you listed.

Phroobar

I disagree with the assertion that the series is written like a teen WB show. Yes its YA series but I think its better written than a majority of WB show, especially the ones you listed.
We disagree and I respect your point of view.

However, I see a lot similarity in the writing, humor and the weird non-period specific music choices to those shows. This show and National Treasure are like teenage comedy/drama shows on Disney channel. They are kind of based on the source material but are the poorer cousin.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We disagree and I respect your point of view.

However, I see a lot similarity in the writing, humor and the weird non-period specific music choices to those shows. This show and National Treasure are like teenage comedy/drama shows on Disney channel. They are kind of based on the source material but are the poorer cousin.
Your gripe about "non-period specific music" being used is weird to me. Its a fantasy show based on a fantasy movie about a made up fantasy world which used instrumental music written specifically for the movie. So there is no period specific music since its a made up world. Also if you hadn't noticed they did use the music from the movie quite a bit as background music. So the choice to use contemporary music for some specific scenes doesn't bother me.

Phroobar

Your gripe about "non-period specific music" being used is weird to me. Its a fantasy show based on a fantasy movie about a made up fantasy world which used instrumental music written specifically for the movie. So there is no period specific music since its a made up world. Also if you hadn't noticed they did use the music from the movie quite a bit as background music. So the choice to use contemporary music for some specific scenes doesn't bother me.
It totally brings me out of that world when contemporary music starts playing. It doesn't fit and comes at similar moments that a WB show would do it. The movie from 1988 didn't start playing Together Forever by Rick Astley after the good guys won the day or Two Hearts by Phil Collins when Madmartigan and Sorsha kiss.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It totally brings me out of that world when contemporary music starts playing. It doesn't fit and comes at similar moments that a WB show would do it. The movie from 1988 didn't start playing Together Forever by Rick Astley after the good guys won the day or Two Hearts by Phil Collins when Madmartigan and Sorsha kiss.
As I said it doesn't bother me. Plus it was for the most part at the end of an episode when you would be coming out of the world anyways. So again its just a weird gripe to me.

Wendy Pleakley

The end credits music is fine, but I notice when Kevin Pollak's Rool character complained about kids just wanting to be famous. He might as well have said that kids today just want to be YouTube or TikTok stars.

That was a bit glaring in terms of the real world infringing on a fantasy series.

mysto

I was actually enjoying the use of modern music until a recent episode featured a song with obvious autotune. Ugh.

I like the puerile humor in general as well.

Serpico Jones

Of that list I only enjoyed the Flash and the first two seasons of Dawson’s Creek. Had no interest in watching any of those other shows.

I also don’t see the similarities between those shows and Willow. Is it because it features some romantic scenes with young people? Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein novel also had romantic scenes between college students does that make it a YA book that should be adapted for the CW? I don’t think so.

Phroobar

Of that list I only enjoyed the Flash and the first two seasons of Dawson’s Creek. Had no interest in watching any of those other shows.

I also don’t see the similarities between those shows and Willow. Is it because it features some romantic scenes with young people? Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein novel also had romantic scenes between college students does that make it a YA book that should be adapted for the CW? I don’t think so.
Actually I don't see why not. The WB did vampires with the Vampire Diaries and Buffy. They did iZombie. A Frankenstein adaption wouldn't be out of the question.

Phroobar

I watched the Behind the Magic. I got the feeling Jonathan Kasdan had no clue what Willow was when he was developing the show. I wonder if he saw the movie or was just given a plot synopsis. Did he learn nothing from his dad? Also what the heck is with Warwick Davis acting like a over bloated jerk running gag through out it? The main cast seemed to be having a lot of fun.

sedati

The show is endearing. Like most Lucasfilm projects it greatly benefits from a second viewing to see it for what it tries to be as opposed to what was personally expected.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
No season 2 for Willow on Disney+ -

"There will be no second season of Willow, Disney+’s live-action original series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard. The news comes two months after the eight-episode first season of the show, which served as a sequel to the classic movie, ended its run on the streaming platform.

Willow, which picked up years after the events of the film, did not have the zeitgeist cultural impact of the original but was well received by critics, getting a 83% on Rotten Tomatoes. While the series won’t continue, Willow remains an important IP in the Lucasfilm library, so it might be revisited in the future.

The news comes as Lucasfilm has been reassessing its film slate, taking time to identify the next movie in the Star Wars franchise. Meanwhile, the company has built a sizable Star Wars TV footprint on Disney+ with such series as the live-action hit The Mandalorian and the upcoming Ahsoka, Acolyte and Skeleton Crew as well as animated fare.

The cancellation also comes amid increased scrutiny at the media companies, including Disney, which have been curbing streaming content spending in search of profitability."

Wendy Pleakley

No season 2 for Willow on Disney+ -

"There will be no second season of Willow, Disney+’s live-action original series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard. The news comes two months after the eight-episode first season of the show, which served as a sequel to the classic movie, ended its run on the streaming platform.

Willow, which picked up years after the events of the film, did not have the zeitgeist cultural impact of the original but was well received by critics, getting a 83% on Rotten Tomatoes. While the series won’t continue, Willow remains an important IP in the Lucasfilm library, so it might be revisited in the future.

The news comes as Lucasfilm has been reassessing its film slate, taking time to identify the next movie in the Star Wars franchise. Meanwhile, the company has built a sizable Star Wars TV footprint on Disney+ with such series as the live-action hit The Mandalorian and the upcoming Ahsoka, Acolyte and Skeleton Crew as well as animated fare.

The cancellation also comes amid increased scrutiny at the media companies, including Disney, which have been curbing streaming content spending in search of profitability."

Did the original really have a strong cultural impact though? It never struck me as a movie whose reputation or fandom grew over time.

This was always going to have somewhat limited appeal from my perspective.

sedati

Having just finished “Rings of Power” I can say that of the three fantasy shows from this past fall, Willow was the most original and engaging and the one I most wanted to see continue. It had its faults, but especially shined at the end.

erasure fan1

Did the original really have a strong cultural impact though? It never struck me as a movie whose reputation or fandom grew over time.

This was always going to have somewhat limited appeal from my perspective.
No, not really. It has a limited cult following now, but it's just that, limited. If Disney thought this would light the world on fire, shame on them (I have no idea what they expected). I'm guessing it was just a content push, and they had no real plans for it. You do this series to fill a genre gap in your programing in my opinion. And if you do a great job, you can build on it and expand because of the word of mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom