Willow

sedati

i’m trying to give this show a chance, but i feel like i’m just watching a bunch of whiny brats
A “Brat Pack" you could say. Sadly, I guess there’s no precedent for such stories being worthwhile or possibly becoming successful.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I watched the first 3 episodes back-to-back, something I suggest as it works better story wise, and I rather enjoyed it. Has beats from the movie while still able to carve out a place for itself in the "Willow-verse".

Obviously its not perfect, nothing ever is. But for those complaining about the teens being "bratty", have you never been around a teen ever in your life? That is what they do, that is what they are known for. And when talking about royal teens, turn the bratty factor up to 11. So it works for who the characters are suppose to be. Especially the whole attitude coming from Kit, that is exactly how her character is suppose to be given the arc she is going on.

Anyways, my two cents.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did we learn nothing from Game of Thrones about not making fantasy series overly dark to the point you can barely see any of what is going on?
It didn't seem overly dark visually to me, I could see clearly all the action in the rain storm (which I assume is the dark visuals you were alluding to).

erasure fan1

I watched the first 3 episodes back-to-back, something I suggest as it works better story wise,
Andor was best watched in 3 episode chunks as well. It's too bad Disney seems more content releasing things for the most episodes instead of what makes sense and flows better for the story. I haven't started Willow yet as I was never a big fan of the original. I'm just going to wait until it all out to start it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Andor was best watched in 3 episode chunks as well. It's too bad Disney seems more content releasing things for the most episodes instead of what makes sense and flows better for the story. I haven't started Willow yet as I was never a big fan of the original. I'm just going to wait until it all out to start it.
This isn't isolated to just Disney, and isn't new either. Netflix basically ruined episodic tv shows with the binge model. A lot of studios are trying to switch it back to traditional weekly episodic tv with their streaming shows. From a business model it makes more sense as it tends to keeps subs subscribed a lot longer, ie combating the churn.

While I agree it makes sense for the flow of the story to release multiple episodes at once instead of the slow drip. But I do understand why Disney or any other studios are doing weekly releases with their streaming shows.

erasure fan1

This isn't isolated to just Disney, and isn't new either. Netflix basically ruined episodic tv shows with the binge model. A lot of studios are trying to switch it back to traditional weekly episodic tv with their streaming shows. From a business model it makes more sense as it tends to keeps subs subscribed a lot longer, ie combating the churn.

While I agree it makes sense for the flow of the story to release multiple episodes at once instead of the slow drip. But I do understand why Disney or any other studios are doing weekly releases with their streaming shows.
Yes, but I wasn't talking about them dropping things for binging. Personally I don't mind the weekly drop as it gives me a chance to watch it and not have to worry some bozo is going spoil the end. What I was talking about was releasing something like Andor in the blocks it was shot in. It could have been 5 weeks, maybe 6 instead of 12. It would have benefited the show in my opinion because you can tell it was shot in blocks. But they wanted to eliminate the churn instead of doing the best for the show. I guess it goes back to I personally think Disney has a lot to still learn about episodic TV.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, but I wasn't talking about them dropping things for binging. Personally I don't mind the weekly drop as it gives me a chance to watch it and not have to worry some bozo is going spoil the end. What I was talking about was releasing something like Andor in the blocks it was shot in. It could have been 5 weeks, maybe 6 instead of 12. It would have benefited the show in my opinion because you can tell it was shot in blocks. But they wanted to eliminate the churn instead of doing the best for the show. I guess it goes back to I personally think Disney has a lot to still learn about episodic TV.
Again in my opinion this isn't isolated to Disney. It is what it is.

doctornick

The only thing that bugged me was the horrible jarring end credit music for both episodes... they just seemed so out of place for this series and made it feel less like a big fantasy epic and more like your weekly episode of buffy. If that's the road they are choosing to go down, then ok, but that's a little different compared to the original film.

Yes! I actually have enjoyed the show but the end credit music being rock is so jarring. Such an odd way to end the episodes and just doesn’t fit. I do like the use of the movie’s theme music during the show.

doctornick

Andor was best watched in 3 episode chunks as well. It's too bad Disney seems more content releasing things for the most episodes instead of what makes sense and flows better for the story.
I think D+ has had real problems with episodes being oddly set up and choppy making them seem like a movie with arbitrary breaks. Combined with the weekly release schedule it can draw you out of a show. I thought Andor was the worse offender of this but a number of the Marvel shows have the problem too and it’s a wider issue with streams (though less of a problem when a whole series is dropped on one day).

Disney needs to have people from TV backgrounds working on this stuff to make episodes actually y’know episodic. Doesn’t mean you can’t have series long plots but some things need to be specific to each episode to make them complete. And with streaming, there’s no need to have to adhere with specific episode lengths - make them as long as needed for that week’s story.

That said I actually think Willow has been pretty good with having the episodes work individually with a zinger at the end for the next tale. I don’t feel this needs to be binged to work.

erasure fan1

I think D+ has had real problems with episodes being oddly set up and choppy making them seem like a movie with arbitrary breaks. Combined with the weekly release schedule it can draw you out of a show. I thought Andor was the worse offender of this but a number of the Marvel shows have the problem too and it’s a wider issue with streams (though less of a problem when a whole series is dropped on one day).

Disney needs to have people from TV backgrounds working on this stuff to make episodes actually y’know episodic. Doesn’t mean you can’t have series long plots but some things need to be specific to each episode to make them complete. And with streaming, there’s no need to have to adhere with specific episode lengths - make them as long as needed for that week’s story.
I agree. it's been my biggest gripe of Disney TV. Mando worked best as every episode was pretty much its own thing with a overarching story happening as well.

Phroobar

i’ve been a little critical of the show, but haven’t given up on it. the recent episode wasn’t bad at all. i hope they continue to build off of it.
The Haunted Castle storyline wasn't bad. The less lines they give to Ruby Cruz the better.

Serpico Jones

I have enjoyed the show but it doesn’t seem to be moving the needle at all. Makes you wonder how a show like this ended up getting a green light in the first place.

Disney spent a fortune on this show and it seems like no one’s watching.

erasure fan1

Did they “spend a fortune” on this?
I've never really been a huge Willow fan so I didn't follow this show development all that close. But no where have I see anything about a big budget. Of course I'm guessing the budget is bigger than you'd think , but that's just because that's how Disney rolls. Everything is bloated from a budget standpoint.

mf1972

i said i wasn’t going to give up on this show, but after the recent episode, im throwing in the towel. i was hoping it would build up after last weeks episode, but i was wrong. it’s just a boring mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom