Will you use a MagicBand?

Will you use a MagicBand when available?

• Total voters

RonAnnArbor

THere isn't much of anything that will be on the band that will not be on your regular RFID card -- you will jsut need to dig your card out of your wallet rather than just touching your band...

Alexis

Thanks for the picture. Never got to see all the colors! I'd give it a try at first, but not sure if I want one of those on if I can't take it off sometimes and if it isn't tight, because it does get hot. I probably won't ever get one anyways because I think you only get one if you stay on-site (which I never do anymore)

RonAnnArbor

No, everybody will eventually be able to get a band if you want one -- and they will even have upcharge ones that you can pick your favorite characters or even design your own. Disney isn't going to miss a money-making opportunity when it can find one.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
LOL Mr Bill -- I 100% agree with you -- and it will indeed be optional. YOu can use the RFID card or get a wristband, up to you. Personally, they are having so many problems and complaints about the whole system right now, that I wouldn't wait with baited breath until you actually see them roll out -- which I personally predict won't be until the fall at the earliest -- When I was testing last month, the new FP+ system is super easy to use -- but everything seemed to not work on the park-end of things...cards didn't read right, reservations weren't coming up on the system, and most of the readers at the stands are yet to be enabled. The wireless system in the parks was really slow and unreliable, and when I switched to LTE on my iPhone, it knocked the login off of MDE so that you had to log in all over again -- they have LOTS of things to take care of before anyone uses any kind of wristband anywhere in the parks.

They must be working feverishly to fix the problems, because we were there just last week, replaced our PAPs for the new RFID cards, and had no problems with them. Our KTTW card worked at every tap-to-pay (with only one exception, and that was fixed the next day!) we used them at. I just hope that they tie in everything - especially things like the TIW card, so that we will be completely done with having to carry multiple cards. It would be a pity if the bands only covered your room, APs, and FP+.

luv

The new credit card machines are too wobbly. They move when you try to slide your card through them.

I do like that we can now swipe our own cards instead of handing them over and having the CMs ask for ID...but I wish they'd gotten the kinds of machines the rest of the world uses.

One time, the CM held it, lol. Before my card ever got near the thing, she held it. I laughed and said, "Thank you! They're too wobbly!" And she said, Yes, they are!

So I hope all the CMs are telling them this and that they're listening.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd be willing to try out the Magic Band, but I suspect I wouldn't want to wear it all day, and I know the kid wouldn't. So, it would spend most of the day in my bag (as from pictures I've seen of it, I don't think it would fit in a pocket very well.

So, as I said, I'd be willing to try it out, but I'd like the option to switch back to a card if I decide after a day or two that I don't like it...

dave&di

Can I ask a question, apologies if it's stupid!

We will be visiting from England, we will not have cellphones, are we not able to use these facilities???? :eek:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Can I ask a question, apologies if it's stupid!

We will be visiting from England, we will not have cellphones, are we not able to use these facilities???? :eek:

You could use an iTouch or an iPad for the experience app...however, considering the spotty service of Disney Wifi, I wouldn't put much faith in it.

One thing to consider, if coming from overseas, is getting a MetroPCS or other prepaid cel phone. It's a prepaid cel phone, and they have several cheap options. Unlimited minutes while here in the states. Not required, but having a phone handy is nice, espeically when dealing with ADRs, and other things.

You can sign up for it and have the phone shipped to your resort (I believe...)

They also have a $10 addon that would probably allow you unlimited minutes to call home. You can check any numbers you may wish to call here:

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/browse/feature/cat610035/cat610036/0ILD

The contracts do not auto-renew, so after your trip, simply let the contract expire (don't pay the next month). Hold on to the phone though, as on your next trip stateside, all you'd have to do is reactivate the phone.

dave&di

You could use an iTouch or an iPad for the experience app...however, considering the spotty service of Disney Wifi, I wouldn't put much faith in it.

One thing to consider, if coming from overseas, is getting a MetroPCS or other prepaid cel phone. It's a prepaid cel phone, and they have several cheap options. Unlimited minutes while here in the states. Not required, but having a phone handy is nice, espeically when dealing with ADRs, and other things.

You can sign up for it and have the phone shipped to your resort (I believe...)

They also have a $10 addon that would probably allow you unlimited minutes to call home. You can check any numbers you may wish to call here:

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/browse/feature/cat610035/cat610036/0ILD

The contracts do not auto-renew, so after your trip, simply let the contract expire (don't pay the next month). Hold on to the phone though, as on your next trip stateside, all you'd have to do is reactivate the phone.
Thanks for the info englanddg, we love the fact we have no technology with us when in the States so I don't think this will be happening! So I guess without modern annoyances we won't be able to benefit from the Magic Band, couldn't WDW have a device you could rent at Kiosks or at resorts, having to sort out new phones and connection from overseas takes away the point of getting away from the real world. :(

lilclerk

Thanks for the info englanddg, we love the fact we have no technology with us when in the States so I don't think this will be happening! So I guess without modern annoyances we won't be able to benefit from the Magic Band, couldn't WDW have a device you could rent at Kiosks or at resorts, having to sort out new phones and connection from overseas takes away the point of getting away from the real world. :(
They will have FP+ kiosks set up in the parks. I wonder if hotel concierges will be able to help as well.

lilclerk

Really? I'll be gutted if we can't get in on the action just because we won't be able to use phones. Thanks.
Well, you should still be able to set up your FP+s online before you leave home. You'll just need to keep a list of them so you don't forget as you won't have a phone to remind you.
Unless I've totally misunderstood how this is all going down, the kiosks are to change them while in the parks, or for last-minute FPs.

luv

Really? I'll be gutted if we can't get in on the action just because we won't be able to use phones. Thanks.
I know this must mean "bummed out" or "very disappointed" in that strange language you speak...;)...but I pictured a person being disemboweled. Eek! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom