Will Harmonious Survive?

graphite1326

Well I finally got to see it. I picked an empty spot near Canada. I should have figured out why it was empty. Right in front of you is a barg that holds one of the arms. You can barely see the center ring. About halfway through the show we left. It wasn't worth watching this way and the music just didn't work. Why would you make a show like this costing millions that can only be seen from the front or the back? What a poor design this is and it looks hideous during the day. Someone should lose their job over this train wreck.

Vinnie Mac

Well I finally got to see it. I picked an empty spot near Canada. I should have figured out why it was empty. Right in front of you is a barg that holds one of the arms. You can barely see the center ring. About halfway through the show we left. It wasn't worth watching this way and the music just didn't work. Why would you make a show like this costing millions that can only be seen from the front or the back? What a poor design this is and it looks hideous during the day. Someone should lose their job over this train wreck.
Saw this and thought it was the night of September 29th again

Vinnie Mac

Based off of your message history you also don't seem to have liked ROE either. I've seen plenty of people who loved ROE and hate HarmonioUS, hate ROE and love HarmonioUS, and even love ROE while also loving HarmonioUS. I don't think I've ever seen someone who's liked neither though.

What is a perfect nighttime spectacular (for Epcot) in your honest opinion?

Disney Analyst

I think Harmonious will be treated a lot like World of Color.

You have the base show and hardware, and then change out segments as needed, add tweaks, add a tag at the end. Create a seasonal show, bring back the original.

Etc.

I think it's here to stay for a long time.

Vegas Disney Fan

I saw it twice this weekend and absolutely loved it. I had avoided any videos so all I knew about it were the (mostly bad) reviews I’d read here and was very pleasantly surprised. Made me think of world of color but with really cool firework.

I wish I could say the same for the daytime views though, the barges were much bigger and more noticeable than I expected. I love the show but the daytime situation makes me think the barges won’t last more than a few years before they are replaced.

Vinnie Mac

I think Harmonious will be treated a lot like World of Color.

You have the base show and hardware, and then change out segments as needed, add tweaks, add a tag at the end. Create a seasonal show, bring back the original.

Etc.

I think it's here to stay for a long time.
100% agreed. The original (current) HarmonioUS is pretty well received among the general public at the moment but eventually the novelty of it will wear off. Not that big of a problem though because the technology HarmonioUS utilizes is very flexible and allows WED to do so many things that they probably weren't able to previously do. I myself am writing a concept for a show, not an imagineer or anything but from time to time I like to pretend that I am one lol. But yeah they could easily fix/tweak the show to keep it relevant and entertaining.

I am curious to see if HarmonioUS will develop a brand the same way Illuminations did. I wouldn't expect it but at this point in my life I've kinda learned that expecting the unexpected is less of a cliche and more of a necessary thing to do because a lot of things that have happened these past 1-2 years are things that I never really expected to happen. So, idk.

Nottamus

Watched it this week once so far and I liked it! Wife: hated it.

I went in with no expectations and was entertained completely. Do I wish it had lot of ROE story line, absolutely. I think Disney missed the boat there by fixing what really wasn’t broken.

we watched from Mexico so the stargate was visible but not clearly at all. Will try centering up next time

Wife’s main complaint : it didn’t move her at all. She would have totally preferred non Disney music. She didn’t like how they Disney channeled the music. (But when I looked around - many many people were dancing and grooving).
Overall the crowd response was fantastic

guess it’s here to stay.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

Watched it this week once so far and I liked it! Wife: hated it.

I went in with no expectations and was entertained completely. Do I wish it had lot of ROE story line, absolutely. I think Disney missed the boat there by fixing what really wasn’t broken.

we watched from Mexico so the stargaze was visible but not clearly at all. Will try centering up next time

Wife’s main complaint : it didn’t move her at all. She would have totally preferred non Disney music. She didn’t like how they Disney channeled the music. (But when I looked around - many many people were dancing and grooving).
Overall the crowd response was fantastic

guess it’s here to stay.
Not gonna give my full review but I will say that when we went, the crowd was very into it. Singing and dancing, it was a fun time.

I agree with your wife about the story part, I think the music is fine though. Actually I really like the soundtrack, I know most don't but I love it personally.

Joesixtoe

The barges in the day time is just a bit depressing. The show itself was just mostly awful the first time(first night), I found myself staring off into the distance of the unknown. Then everyone started chanting "light up the ball!" And my enthusiasm started to kick back in just as the last part of the show with its music, falling stars fireworks and everyone cheering over the lighting of the ball. It was special. Since then I've seen it twice and have found myself starting to enjoy it.

Disstevefan1

The barges in the day time is just a bit depressing. The show itself was just mostly awful the first time(first night), I found myself staring off into the distance of the unknown. Then everyone started chanting "light up the ball!" And my enthusiasm started to kick back in just as the last part of the show with its music, falling stars fireworks and everyone cheering over the lighting of the ball. It was special. Since then I've seen it twice and have found myself starting to enjoy it.
I am happy to see folks are getting enjoyment out of the new show! I presume the ball is spaceship earth?

I think the points of light addition to SSE is the best improvement of the entire EPCOT reimagining, even though the points of lights were actually added for the 50th and not technically part of harmonious, or of the EPCOT reimagining.

jpinkc

I have only seen the livestream of it and it Harmed me :) We will be going soon and I am wondering if anyone has scouted out good viewing spots yet. We usually watched from Canada in the before times or from Japan once. Since we have this Eye of Sauron thing in the middle of the lagoon. Just wondering so maybe seeing it from a good vantage might help my enjoyment.

Joesixtoe

I am happy to see folks are getting enjoyment out of the new show! I presume the ball is spaceship earth?

I think the points of light addition to SSE is the best improvement of the entire EPCOT reimagining, even though the points of lights were actually added for the 50th and not technically part of harmonious, or of the EPCOT reimagining.
Yeah I meant spaceship earth. I absolutely love the new lights on SSE and I think it's the best addition to the whole 50th.

Vegas Disney Fan

I have only seen the livestream of it and it Harmed me :) We will be going soon and I am wondering if anyone has scouted out good viewing spots yet. We usually watched from Canada in the before times or from Japan once. Since we have this Eye of Sauron thing in the middle of the lagoon. Just wondering so maybe seeing it from a good vantage might help my enjoyment.
We watched both nights from between the 2 gift shops where world showcase meets world discovery (or whatever they’re calling future world now).

It was a straight on view and fairly easy to get a decent spot about 20 minutes before the show began. We really enjoyed the show, we came back another night after AK closed just to see it again.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I always said they should build 4 boathouses designed to match the pavilion that they can stay in, set a winch cable from the center to the boathouse low enough for boats can clear and then can be pulled in and out. I also thought maybe they should build 4 nice sailboats and put the images on the sails. Also I thing a good symbol of travel and unity. Maybe have 7 boats gathered together in the lagoon representing all 7 continents joining each other for harmonious. Having real boats are not unnatural looking in a body of water and can sit there all day.

Vinnie Mac

Ngl, seeing other people enjoy the show makes me happy, idk why. Glad you're starting to enjoy it!

Also I think the lighting effects for SSE during the show was a very cool moment. This sounds kinda selfish but sometimes I feel like the lights for the debut night was like a personal gift from WDI to Disney/Epcot fans. Disney doesn't always do us right but when they do, boy is it special. I think it's one of those shows that make HarmonioUS feel unique and good considering SSE never really participated in past shows beyond being a backdrop for the laser effects.

mergatroid

It seems to be people posting online who hate it whilst those in the park seem to enjoy it going off reports on here. Personally I love it and I've yet to see it in person. If guests in numbers complain that they don't like it, or the number of guests not staying to watch it is large then that's when Disney will pay most attention. Whilst social media can have an overall affect on people's perception, if people paying to get into Epcot enjoy it then why would Disney even contemplate abandoning this show?

Vinnie Mac

It seems to be people posting online who hate it whilst those in the park seem to enjoy it going off reports on here. Personally I love it and I've yet to see it in person. If guests in numbers complain that they don't like it, or the number of guests not staying to watch it is large then that's when Disney will pay most attention. Whilst social media can have an overall affect on people's perception, if people paying to get into Epcot enjoy it then why would Disney even contemplate abandoning this show?
Even after seeing it on video a countless amount of times, the show literally took my breath away when my family and I saw it in person. This show is truly something special in my opinion and it's sad that many people probably aren't even going to realize it until it's gone.

mergatroid

Even after seeing it on video a countless amount of times, the show literally took my breath away when my family and I saw it in person. This show is truly something special in my opinion and it's sad that many people probably aren't even going to realize it until it's gone.
I have a feeling that there was so much complaining about the barges blocking the view and being generally such an eyesore, that some people wanted this to fail. When it debuted, a lot of posters couldn't wait to put the boot in and just dump all over it. Undoubtedly some of them genuinely hated it, but there seemed more to it than that. It felt a bit forced with people almost celebrating the fact that there were other people posting how terrible it was and they all wanted to get in on the act quoting one another. So much so that we now have a thread dedicated to the survival of a show as though it's a fact that everyone hates it even though it appears to have good reactions from those watching it :rolleyes:

Again enjoyment of the show is subjective and some may genuinely hate it. If they do, they do and it means there's one less person in Epcot making it crowded when I go. I just can't help thinking though that some went so far with their damnation of the daytime eyesore, that they were always going to hate the show and made it their hill to die on regardless of the end product.

yensid1967

FROM THE VIDEOS...I am not impressed and don't see it lasting a LONG time...maybe a few years. If they do end up replacing it I would hope they would TRY to reuse the barges somewhere/somehow in a park so that money is not wasted and flushed down the drain hole of the lagoon! They ship the parades around to different parks, why not the water shows!?
They should just make the lagoon into something like World of Color, but made especially for Epcot(I know they like to put things in each park that makes them different) Maybe put the Dancing Fountain of Nations in the center, fill it in to add more space for merchandise!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom