"WILL DREAM FASTPASSES" Be For Sale Soon To Guests??

radiohost

Original Poster
Im Convinced

My dad came up with the idea last year that the dream fastpasses being offered to winners of the year of a million dreams giveaway is just a practice run to see if dream fastpasses can actually work, and if they do then they would go on sale after the YOAMD promotion is over.

I dissmissed this claim as soon as he told me, but now, I am not so sure.

I can definately see wdw selling dream fastpasses in the near future. People will still be able to get fastpasses for free, but if they want to not wait on a particular time to use them, then the dream fastpasses will take care of that problem. The price I dont know? I guess Disney could sell them at any cost they would feel will bring the most profit.

This is just an opinion of mine. Feel free to discuss

Radiohost:cool:

Please note that I have edited the title for clarity, and to reflect (IMO) what the OP was trying to discuss.

Enderikari

Could you at least post the random "I talked to a bus driver and he/she said...?" before throwing out random musings?

I mean, there is no evidence for Disney selling Dream Fastpasses, no one even mentioning one word towards it. All you have is a gut feeling which goes against everything that has gone before.

I have a gut feeling too, I think the price of gas is going to go up. But that gut feeling is based on previous experiences applied towards future expectations. When have you had previous experience with Disney *selling* fastpasses?

Ausdaddy

Well, there's been talk of Disney doing all sorts of things with fastpasses. Resort gets being able to request them a day ahead, electronic fastpasses, etc. I don't see how Dream fastpasses are a trial run of any kind. What's the purpose? Dream fastpasses just give you a fastpass for each fastpass attraction. What would they need to test?

radiohost

Original Poster
Could you at least post the random "I talked to a bus driver and he/she said...?" before throwing out random musings?

I mean, there is no evidence for Disney selling Dream Fastpasses, no one even mentioning one word towards it. All you have is a gut feeling which goes against everything that has gone before.

I have a gut feeling too, I think the price of gas is going to go up. But that gut feeling is based on previous experiences applied towards future expectations. When have you had previous experience with Disney *selling* fastpasses?

Will you at least read my post before accusing me of "talking to a disney bus driver"!!

This topic was posted for the sake of discussion. It is my opinion that disney will soon start selling dream fastpasses to guests. This is not a rumor that has been spread from Jim Hill or a comment made by a cast member, it is my OPINION!!!

This is a discussion board, and I started this topic for the sake of discussing if WDW will ever start selling Dream Fastpasses....will the day ever come?? I dont know, and neither do you. That is why we have this forum, for the sake of discussion for petes sakes.

sarabi

I don't think it would ever happen and I'd be sad if it did.

The scenario I see is dream fastpasses go for sale. I must buy them because I must have them (as must everyone else who knows what a fastpass is). So now everyone has fastpasses and the lines are.... dun dun dun!... no longer fastpass like lines.

That would suck.

The great thing about Disney today is paying once at the gate and then riding whatever you want without paying separate tickets. Buying a dream fastpass just seems to me like buying a ticket... my gut feeling is it wouldn't be a good thing.

Eyorefan

I can see it happening. I would be sad if it did, but I can see them doing it.

People who haven't been to Disney parks that often think you have to buy them anyway, so why not charge for some version of a "dream fastpass"?

Not too long ago I was in my local Disney Store and there were two people talking with the store manager and an associate about buying tickets for WDW. Towards the end of the conversation they asked, "How much are the speedpasses?" The manager said she didn't know, and she was sure you had to buy them at the park. She told her associate to get one of the tour guide books and look up how much they cost! :eek:

At that point I steped and told them that the fastpasses were free for everyone in the park and explained how the system worked. The people thanked me. They told me they had been to Disney World once before and didn't use the fastpasses because they thought you had to be staying on property or buy a special pass to get them.

So if people are going to just assume that you have to pay for them, why not charge them?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The same thought had crossed my mind as well. The dream fast passes seemed like a great way to test the effects of a Universal style fast pass system on the Disney parks. Disney could give them away in numbers that would reflect the projected number of value, moderate, deluxe and or DVC resort guests etc. Disney would then have some fairly hard numbers to know how this would effect the wait time at attractions and how many could be released per day before guest experience suffered to what they determine as an unacceptable level. After that the possibilities would be nearly limitless.

That being said we have no evidence showing us that that is in fact what they intend on doing. At this point is is merely a conspiracy type theory. Nothing more.

Yanks07

I definetley enjoyed E-Ride Nights which you had to pay for better than EMH.
I wouldn't mind paying for a dream FP

Wilt Dasney

It is my opinion that disney will soon start selling dream fastpasses to guests. This is not a rumor that has been spread from Jim Hill or a comment made by a cast member, it is my OPINION!!!

An opinion is a feeling about something that can't be proven or disproven. "Splash Mountain is better than Space Mountain" would be an example.

"Disney is going to start selling Dream Fastpasses" is either objectively true or not true, so it can't be an opinion. Guess or hunch would be more accurate.

Sorry for the thread drift, but that jumped out at me. :lol: :wave:

pauluk

VIP FastPass In Paris

At Disneyland Paris they offer you a VIP Fastpass if you book a package which includes a suite or Castle Club room at a number of the on-site hotels.

From the Paris Web site:

VIP FASTPASS®: as a Suites Guests, you get immediate access to the attractions equipped with "FASTPASS® Service".

Disney Hotel FASTPASS®: faster entry at your choice of time on some of your favourite "FASTPASS®" attractions. Available to Guests staying at the Disneyland Hotel.

Link:

http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/good_to_know/park_information/fast_pass.htm

Looks like the offer two special FastPass options, I think the VIP one you have to pay, the One for the Disneyland Hotel appears to be included.

fosse76

It's not out of the realm of possibility. Both Universal and certain Six Flags parks sell a similar type pass. The difference, however, is that those parks don't offer a free FastPass system like Disney's. Guests at those parks purchase their "FastPass" and can use them at the rides designated as accepting them. Disney's fast pass system is free. My guess is that if they did sell them, they would be very limited (like less than 500 a day).

And why are some people so quick to dismiss statements by castmembers, whether they be bus drivers or sweepers. As employees, they are more likely to have correct information than anyone on this board. Often times the info they get is something that was floated around (and usually abandoned by the time it reaches their ears). When I worked at Six Flags it used to bother me that people would dismiss what I knew to be true at the time. Plans are always changing. Of course some people DO make things up (we did that to), but to outright dismiss something because the person is only a bus driver is absolutely elitest.

radiohost

Original Poster
My guess is that if they did sell them, they would be very limited (like less than 500 a day

Thats my guess as well.

All in all would I want to see wdw sell dream fast passes. Maybe not, afterall we do have a great system as it is now.

BUT...........

I was fortunate enough to win a dream fastpass last summer. I was planning on leaving around noon from wdw and go back home to Ohio. My plan was to ride at least three of my favorite rides, have lunch and go home by noon. I was awarded the dream fastpass after I got off of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

My plans changed!!!!

I got to ride everything at MK by 1:00pm!!!! One of the best days at the MK I have ever had!!

So, do I love dream fastpasses?? Yes!!

Would I pay money for them?? Absolutely, if my schedule for the day was cramped to where I couldnt ride everything in a certain time frame

Wilt Dasney

It's not out of the realm of possibility. Both Universal and certain Six Flags parks sell a similar type pass. The difference, however, is that those parks don't offer a free FastPass system like Disney's. Guests at those parks purchase their "FastPass" and can use them at the rides designated as accepting them. Disney's fast pass system is free. My guess is that if they did sell them, they would be very limited (like less than 500 a day).

Right. If they did what the OP suggests, it would have to be controlled carefully to avoid screwing up the wait times because people are already getting FastPasses.

To keep the ratios as they are currently, they'd either have to set a cap like you say and just pull that number of passes from the daily circulation at each ride or find some way to update the rides throughout the day on how many they're selling so the rides could reduce their circulation by that much. If they ended up selling like hotcakes with no limit on sales, you could see every ride out of FastPasses very early in the day.

Unless it's carefully controlled, it's almost like letting the genie out of the bottle if you go this route. Once you see people are willing to pay for FastPasses, why give them away at all? And really, why set a daily cap if people are willing to buy above and beyond that number? You don't just turn down potential profit.

I think it would have to become an all-or-nothing deal at some point. Either you sell FastPasses or you give them away, but I don't think you can do both on a large scale.

palmage

I think it would be great if that were a deluxe/concierge perk!!!
Or buy them as long as they left the free FastPass in place.

WDWFigment

That's why this was posted in General Discussion (as opposed to News and Rumors), and was posed as a question.

If you want to talk about "unfounded assertions", how about yours that says "All you have is a gut feeling which goes against everything that has gone before"? I'm not saying you're wrong (because I have no countervailing evidence) but how can you cut down on others for posting uncorroborated assertions, and then do the same thing yourself?

As for the topic at hand; there have been some rumors about Disney doing this in some capacity, although I imagine it will be reserved for the more affluent guests (who are willing to shell out for the VIP tours--or whatever they're called). Personally, I wouldn't sell Dream FastPasses because I would think that would overtly add to the "classism" in WDW (not that it doesn't already exist). Having more expensive dining options and resorts is one thing, but I think guests might be more upset if they actually saw people "getting more" out of the experience than them. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION ON WHY I WOULDN'T OFFER IT.

slappy magoo

Will you at least read my post before accusing me of "talking to a disney bus driver"!!

This topic was posted for the sake of discussion. It is my opinion that disney will soon start selling dream fastpasses to guests. This is not a rumor that has been spread from Jim Hill or a comment made by a cast member, it is my OPINION!!!

This is a discussion board, and I started this topic for the sake of discussing if WDW will ever start selling Dream Fastpasses....will the day ever come?? I dont know, and neither do you. That is why we have this forum, for the sake of discussion for petes sakes.

Well, this is all an issue of semantics, but...

When you ask "DREAM FASTPASSES To Be For Sale Soon To Guests??" there's an implication that it IS happening, or MIGHT be happening, or there's discussion of it happening. Not only happening, but happening "Soon!" It's a little misleading, if all you really wanted to voice an opinion on whether or not WDW ever would (or should) sell their dream FPs.

I don't think you were intentionally being misleading, but thread topics like this usually are rpefaced by "I heard it from a cast member/monorail driver/travel agent/etc that this is happening." And like I said, if there's no indication that it's happening, why would you ask if it's happening "soon?"

You can see where some people would be confused or suspicious, I hope.

As for me, I'm not a fan of the Dream FPs being given away OR sold. I know, it's a nice treat to get them, and I wouldn't refuse one if *I* won them, but I kinda feel like, when you pay your money to get into the parks -whether you're there for a day, staying off site, or in a Value, a Mod, a Deluxe, a DVC unit, the campground, WHEREVER you're from - once you enter the turnstiles, you shouldn't be treated any better or any worse than anyone else. Uni & Six Flags essentially allowing you to buy "cutsies" further separates the haves from the have-nots, by allowing the haves to get more done in the course of their day, while the have-nots (who paid plenty to get into the parks in the first place) are forced to endure longer lines for the crime of not having more discretionary income. To me, it goes against what Walt Disney was trying to achieve in the first place when he envisioned the parks (and for the record, I'm pretty comfortable, and I would most likely be able to afford an extra fee for Dream FPs).

So, what if there are a limited amount of Dream FPs for sale? Great, NOW not only do you have to have more money than the other guy, you have to be faster on the switch, or "know a guy who knows a guy" so you get your Dream FPs before they're sold out. At the very least, with the Dream FPs being given away, it's a crap shoot, and anyone can get them regardless of how much green they've got in their pocket, but I've seen plenty of people get the look of jealousy in their eye because they didn't get them. The FP system, as it's set up, is pretty fair, and anyone can use it. As long as you're not jumping from e-ticket to e-ticket, the use of the FP system really affords EVERYONE a chance to slow down and admire the little details, the smaller rides, the longer meals, etc, that make a WDW more enjoyable. I'd be very disappointed in WDW if they made people who already scrape to afford a WDW vacation get less done on their vacation so people who can afford to go all the time, get the opportunity to buy their way to the front of the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom