Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

D

Deleted member 107043

So for now, Rebecca Campbell and Bob Jr. have decided to ignore Governor Newsom's instructions to close both parks.

Did the governor's guidance state that Disneyland should close? Did I miss something?

Has anyone here been to the parks this week? I'm curious what traffic has been like.

TP2000

Original Poster
Did the governor's guidance state that Disneyland should close? Did I miss something?

Governor Newsom said that events that have 250 or more people in attendance should be cancelled. There's 2,000 people in each showing of Frozen at the Hyperion, big restaurants like Plaza Inn or Pizza Port or Red Rose Taverne all seat more than 250 people plus the CM's working there, the indoor queues of switchbacks hold hundreds of people inside one big room like at Star Tours, Space Mountain, Soarin', etc., etc.

Just the Pirates queue alone seems like it would infect hundreds per hour if one virus carrier touched the handrails on the way in.

DLCrowds2-022716-AVP.jpg

Based on the Governor's wording, I don't know how you could justify keeping Disneyland open while a local flower show and a swap meet and a high school play are cancelled.

But if the businesses of California read the Governor's warning and just shrug and say "No thanks Guv", then I'm not sure what he could do about it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I am rooting for your weekend trip!

Last edited:

el_super

They haven't had the opportunity to discuss the governor's memo. He gave it late yesterday. I wouldn't consider this to necessarily be indicative of what they'll be doing over the next few weeks. I don't think there's anything suspect about keeping the parks open until they meet and make a decision.

Something to note: despite the concerns (read: panic) being raised, there hasn't been any confirmed instance of someone contracting the virus from being at Disneyland. Compare that to the Measles outbreak where visitors noted being at Disneyland.

We know Disneyland has taken precautions against viral transmission (wiping down handrails, deep cleaning facilities, offering sanitizer), so its possible that those efforts are actually being successful so far. That could change if a confirmation of a visitor (or Cast Member) contracting the virus comes out.

"Brown said public schools should remain open. But she said all non-essential school-associated gatherings and group activities — such as parent group meetings, field trips and competitions -- should be cancelled."

Again, it depends on your definition of essential. To old hats on the internet, a day at Disneyland may seem like an unnecessary luxury, but to some its a once in a lifetime event.

I've wanted to check out Strong Water since I first heard about it at Christmastime. I plan to check it out later in the spring when it warms up a bit and I get in the tropical mood. Have you been? Am I going to like it?

It's pretty good. The food is interesting (try the fries) and the Buzzin' Jungle Bird was ... Interesting. The vibe reminded me a lot of Trader Sam's before the APs found out about it.

Has anyone here been to the parks this week? I'm curious what traffic has been like.

Busy, but not unreasonably so. Lots of people already coming in today, possibly to avoid rain today and tomorrow, but maybe also to get one last visit before its closed for a few months.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hans, basically California's guidelines state gatherings over more than 250 people is not recommended.

No official policy, so people/businesses have the final say, for now.

I appreciate you responding with a straight answer DB. This isn't the time for conjecture and misinformation.

SoCalMort

I’ve wanted to check out Strong Water since I first heard about it at Christmastime. I plan to check it out later in the spring when it warms up a bit and I get in the tropical mood. Have you been? Am I going to like it?

I haven’t been either and, in fact, I have a reservation for tomorrow along with a flex pass rez for the parks. In light of everything I am thinking of cancelling both and not making the trip down from L.A.

Have you been to The Blind Rabbit?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
All of the Power 5 conferences cancelled their tournaments for this week/weekend. I don't see March Madness being cancelled (possibly delayed).

I think in the next few days we will see Disneyland close for a minimum of two weeks. It will be the right decision.

Nirya

Wanted to give @DrAlice an update to a question she asked last night, but a ton of college sports conferences cancelled their basketball tournaments this morning. The PAC-12 is suspending all athletics until further notice. The CIF state basketball championships have been cancelled, with it looking as though the rest of the sports are soon to follow.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Florida Governor that all mass gatherings should be postponed or cancelled over the next 30 days.

I think today you will see Disney close US parks for 30 days.

I wonder how much longer until churches start cancelling services. I've seen one in the DFW area.

SSG

Disney Parks and Resorts Questions about Coronavirus/COVID-19

A Message about Coronavirus/COVID-19 from Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pamela Hymel

As you may know from the news, COVID-19, commonly known as novel coronavirus 2019, has become a more widespread concern. Our thoughts are with those affected and we want to share more information with you about our efforts to help keep our guests, cast members, and communities safe and healthy.

We are carefully monitoring the evolving coronavirus situation and are in regular contact with health agencies for information and guidance. Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort are open and welcoming guests and we continue to implement preventive measures in line with the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as state and local health agencies. For example, we have added additional hand sanitizers throughout the park, increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection in high guest contact areas, and are providing information about good hygiene practices and illness prevention to our guests and cast members.

Walt Disney World, Disneyland and all of our parks and resorts around the world have high standards of cleanliness and health and safety protocols in place, such as:
  • Training for cast members, with ongoing reinforcement on a regular basis
  • Defined cycles for frequent cleaning and disinfection of targeted areas
  • Easy access to handwashing facilities and hand sanitizers
  • Quick response to spills, trash and other situations
  • End of day sanitation procedures for restroom, kitchen, and other facilities
  • Frequent cleaning and “wash down” of outdoor locations, including walkways and queues
Additionally, a list of First Aid and hand sanitizer locations is available in the Walt Disney World/My Disney Experience and Disneyland apps.

The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like coronavirus/COVID-19, such as staying home when sick, washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, following proper respiratory cough etiquette, avoiding close contact with people who are sick and avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. We continue to communicate about these recommendations, as well as other important health information, to our cast.

The CDC provides more detailed coronavirus information on its website and your personal physician is a valuable resource for specific medical questions you may have.

As always, our focus is on the health and well-being of our cast members, guests and the larger community, and we look forward to welcoming you at our parks very soon. If you have any questions about visiting Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort, or about our response to coronavirus, you can learn more on the Walt Disney World, Disneyland, or Disney Cruise Line websites, or call 407-WDisney.

Thank you,
Pamela Hymel MD
Chief Medical Officer
Disney Parks, Experiences and Products

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom