Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Curious Constance

What the heck are you talking about? The virus is already here. Closing borders now does nothing. Almost every public health official states that we are about two weeks behind where Italy is right now...so...I don't know what your point is that we are not Italy. You're right, we're not Italy, we're gonna be Italy. Soon.

We are behind where Europe is...and if those countries, most of which are much better run than the United States, can't control it, there is no reason to believe America's feckless performance till now will make any difference.

Closing borders doesn’t help to slow the virus down? We should just continue letting thousands of potentially infected people to come here and help the virus to spread to all corners of the country that much faster? I thought it was all about slowing the curve so health systems aren’t overwhelmed? We can’t eat in a restaurant for much longer because we need to limit and slow the spread, but it’s fruitless to stop thousands who don’t live here from coming to the US? 🥴

SuddenStorm

For what it's worth, a good friend of mine was effectively fired by his job at a luxury resort that relies on skiers and other wealthy vacationers to fill their expensive ($1000+) hotel rooms.

He hired in two months ago for full time- 5 days/week- and his hours were slashed to two days a week. Today when he showed up to his shift they told him he wasn't needed today.

I'm far more worried about his ability to make rent, pay for food, or any other expenses that may come up before he can find a new job or get his normal hours back than I am a virus which looks to be no more than a normal flu for most individuals.

Phroobar

Closing borders doesn’t help to slow the virus down? We should just continue letting thousands of potentially infected people to come here and help the virus to spread to all corners of the country that much faster? I thought it was all about slowing the curve so health systems aren’t overwhelmed? We can’t eat in a restaurant for much longer because we need to limit and slow the spread, but it’s fruitless to stop thousands who don’t live here from coming to the US? 🥴
I find it interesting that Mexico can close their border for US residents from coming in but the United States can't do the opposite.

TROR

My college has given students the options of returning home or staying on campus but we'll be switching over to entirely online courses, with a hopeful (but unlikely) return date of April 13. Traveling home would be too much of a hassle given I'm clear across the country so I'm opting to stay on campus, but if I do I'm forbidden from leaving campus for any nonessential reason. If the situation gets worse and we are forced to leave campus, I'm not sure I'll be able to go home as there does seem to be a threat of domestic flights being canceled. If one thing is certain it's that this is a time of great uncertainties but I'm finding great comfort in knowing I have no power in any of this and trusting in One who is sovereign.

Californian Elitist

My college has given students the options of returning home or staying on campus but we'll be switching over to entirely online courses, with a hopeful (but unlikely) return date of April 13. Traveling home would be too much of a hassle given I'm clear across the country so I'm opting to stay on campus, but if I do I'm forbidden from leaving campus for any nonessential reason. If the situation gets worse and we are forced to leave campus, I'm not sure I'll be able to go home as there does seem to be a threat of domestic flights being canceled. If one thing is certain it's that this is a time of great uncertainties but I'm finding great comfort in knowing I have no power in any of this and trusting in One who is sovereign.

I’m also currently on the other side of the country, in Massachusetts. I flew back yesterday to pack my things and will be flying back to California tomorrow.

I’d reconsider leaving your school. If the government decides to implement a domestic travel ban, who knows how long it would last for. I would hate for you to get stuck in whatever state you’re currently in.

God bless you.

DarkMetroid567

If you think you want the ability to go home, you should. Domestic flights are getting shockingly empty. I’m coming home from Spain and my flight from Seattle to Vegas last night was filled with 7 people. Other friends in other parts of the country were reporting the same.

TROR

I’m also currently on the other side of the country, in Massachusetts. I flew back yesterday to pack my things and will be flying back to California tomorrow.

I’d reconsider leaving your school. If the government decides to implement a domestic travel ban, who knows how long it would last for. I would hate for you to get stuck in whatever state you’re currently in.

God bless you.
Thank you. I do have a back up plan with going home with a few friends who are also staying in the chance that we're all forced to leave and I'm unable to return home.

My biggest reason for not flying home is the uncertainty of whether or not I'd be returning to campus. Though they plan on resuming classes in mid-April, that can very easily fall through and I would hate to travel home with only some of my belongings and then fly back to school to pick up the rest. Equally, though, if I pack all of my belongings, I'd hate to return to campus in mid-April and bring everything back. It's very difficult to make definitive plans based on the "what if?'s" and possibilities of what may happen.

Phroobar

Thank you. I do have a back up plan with going home with a few friends who are also staying in the chance that we're all forced to leave and I'm unable to return home.

My biggest reason for not flying home is the uncertainty of whether or not I'd be returning to campus. Though they plan on resuming classes in mid-April, that can very easily fall through and I would hate to travel home with only some of my belongings and then fly back to school to pick up the rest. Equally, though, if I pack all of my belongings, I'd hate to return to campus in mid-April and bring everything back. It's very difficult to make definitive plans based on the "what if?'s" and possibilities of what may happen.
How hard can it be to take apart a few lego sets and a computer? ;)

choco choco

It will be interesting to look back on this a few weeks from now and see where we are.

Yep. The wager is "Do nothing and we will be like Italy" or "Do drastic action on the small chance it can avoid the Italy experience."

How many people are ok choosing the former? Because that will define whether the ship turns fast enough.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

I'm supposed to be moving to Japan this Friday. Amazingly, my flight hasn't been canceled yet. I guess I'm gonna go if it's not canceled but pretty weird to think I possibly won't be able to go back and see family within the next few months if I want/need to.

smooch

My friend works at Disney as a full time CM in costuming and is still going in to work. She's been working on getting stuff ready for AC so she is continuing to work from what I understand. I literally just got an email right now while in the office that there's going to be an update regarding the office and Covid-19 so I guess I'll know in a little bit if I should expect to just be completely locked in my room for a few months if my work and classes are both online. I live at home so my parents stock the house with food most of the time, and recently my mom has been proactive to have a decent supply of food should anything happen but not hoarding to a ridiculous point. I don't go out much anyways but just sitting in my room all day knowing I don't have the option makes the situation more depressing. I mean, I could still go out, but everything is closing down. I looked forward to having my classes each day, I took a mix of online and in person classes for a reason, and I am getting more and more bummed doing them all online now. I truly have no idea when I expect Disney Parks to open back up, obviously April is not going to happen because of the recent "no groups over 50 for 8 weeks" announcements, so I am really curious now. I am hoping this isn't going to affect my application for the Fall DCP but I'll have to just keep waiting for a decision from Disney.

Phroobar

My friend works at Disney as a full time CM in costuming and is still going in to work. She's been working on getting stuff ready for AC so she is continuing to work from what I understand. I literally just got an email right now while in the office that there's going to be an update regarding the office and Covid-19 so I guess I'll know in a little bit if I should expect to just be completely locked in my room for a few months if my work and classes are both online. I live at home so my parents stock the house with food most of the time, and recently my mom has been proactive to have a decent supply of food should anything happen but not hoarding to a ridiculous point. I don't go out much anyways but just sitting in my room all day knowing I don't have the option makes the situation more depressing. I mean, I could still go out, but everything is closing down. I looked forward to having my classes each day, I took a mix of online and in person classes for a reason, and I am getting more and more bummed doing them all online now. I truly have no idea when I expect Disney Parks to open back up, obviously April is not going to happen because of the recent "no groups over 50 for 8 weeks" announcements, so I am really curious now. I am hoping this isn't going to affect my application for the Fall DCP but I'll have to just keep waiting for a decision from Disney.
You need to go hiking with some friends.

Mac Tonight

As a 30 year old adult with a job but also a millenial.. I don't know how to respond to this! What side do I fall under? Why was I created?! What is- *reality splits apart*
The broad range of birth years for millenials, 1981-2000 (the numbers vary slightly), is FAR too wide ranging. To assume that people born in the 1980's share things in common with anyone born in the mid to late 90's and ought to be categorized similarly is laughable.

TP2000

Original Poster
Downtown Disney will now close tonight at 8pm, and remain closed. This includes all the 3rd party restaurants like Catal, Naples, etc and 3rd party stores like Sunglass Hut, etc.

Disney had already announced that today would be the last day for Disney owned stores in Downtown Disney, like World of Disney and Marcelines.

So the parks are now closed, the Disneyland hotels are closing today, and Downtown Disney is now also closing today. The entirety of the Disneyland Resort is closed to the public now. That's big!

I'm going for a walk and then down to the wine store, because I refuse to obey Governor Newsom's "urging" to self-isolate myself like a leper.

TROR

We initially had classes scheduled this week for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday with Thursday and Friday off then online classes beginning next Monday. After classes today, however, they sent an email saying classes tomorrow and Wednesday have now been canceled and to watch for another email later this evening. I'm expecting we'll be sent home for the rest of the semester without choice before the end of the week so I'm going to prepare just in case. It's insane just how quickly everything can escalate!

TP2000

Original Poster
I got two more emails from the VA today about coronavirus. Basically telling me that visitors are no longer allowed in the hospital and then one with all sorts of health tips and a recommendation that even if you are healthy you should quarantine yourself in your home if you are over 65.

And then the very next email I got was from a day spa I sometimes go to in San Diego telling me they are open despite Covid-19 and they have some great spring specials on gentleman's facials and skin care.

So the day spa is open and offering spring specials, but Tony's Pizza Parlor is closed.

Last edited:

mandelbrot

Downtown Disney will now close tonight at 8pm, and remain closed. This includes all the 3rd party restaurants like Catal, Naples, etc and 3rd party stores like Sunglass Hut, etc.

Disney had already announced that today would be the last day for Disney owned stores in Downtown Disney, like World of Disney and Marcelines.

So the parks are now closed, the Disneyland hotels are closing today, and Downtown Disney is now also closing today. The entirety of the Disneyland Resort is closed to the public now. That's big!

I'm going for a walk and then down to the wine store, because I refuse to obey Governor Newsom's "urging" to self-isolate myself like a leper.
OCR says all of DTD is closing today but Disney hasn't announced that.

Just got confirmation from a DTD CM. They're indeed closing today.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom