Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

jerryp49

I just called the Resort Convention desk and deposits on Resort hotels are still non refundable for Dapper Day reservations..Quote " Your reservation is in April and we will have this ( Coronavirus ) under control by then ..Unquote.

TP2000

Original Poster
South Korea just released stats today from its initial burst of testing 300,000+ citizens in the last couple weeks. The South Korea death rate is 0.77%, but the breakdown in age is startling.

"While South Korea reported 2,718 cases among patients under 30 as of March 11, there were zero deaths from COVID-19 among those younger patients. Only one patient between the ages of 30 and 39 had died, and only one patient in their 40s died.

Older patients, however, were more likely to die from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. Patients older than 80 had a 7.2% death rate through March 11: "

5e692a1554f25c710c387afb

So as many of us have been saying, it's the 70 and older crowd that needs to be the most careful. But then, once you pass age 70 (ahem!) the clock is ticking on you anyway and the flu or pneumonia can also do you in quite quickly. Especially for those with underlying health issues already beyond age 70, like Diabetes, morbid obesity, a weak heart, lung disease from decades of smoking, kidney disease from decades of heavy drinking, etc.

But go ahead, go back to Costco for the third time this week and buy whatever is left, like paper plates and the last of the printer toner cartridges. :rolleyes:

mandelbrot

Especially the college cancellations, when that age group has an almost 0.0% mortality rate. Meningitis kills more college kids in dorms (15% mortality rate for healthy college kids!) every year than this coronavirus ever could.

This panic and hysteria just gets more and more entertaining. And that's exactly what will close Disneyland, when the public perception shifts to blame Disney for keeping their parks open instead of "Protecting The Children!".
Young people by and large are not getting very sick but they carry the virus and spread it to those who are vulnerable. That why schools are going online. To slow the rapid spread of the virus.

You find this all very entertaining. I hope you still think so in a couple of weeks.

TP2000

Original Poster
Young people by and large are not getting very sick but they carry the virus and spread it to those who are vulnerable. That why schools are going online. To slow the rapid spread of the virus.

You find this all very entertaining. I hope you still think so in a couple of weeks.

If I'm not dead, I'm sure I will. 😑

As that Target lady told the panicky housewife looking for face masks... "Well, we all die. But have you tried Amazon?" :D

The virus currently has a 0.77% mortality rate and dropping as more testing is done. It may take six months or a year from now to gain perspective, but as we all look back on this virus that has a very low mortality rate for healthy people more akin to the flu, I think we're going to realize how silly it all was.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Some I have read are extending the drop deadline and with withdraw deadline as well. I would expect they would have to make vast acommodations to such things as labs, and gym type classes required for graduation that cannot be attended virtually. It's a lot to figure out but I bet there is a ton of discussion between the powers that be and instructors about the variables.....which will set precedence for future what if's? and there will be more to come as new questions arise. :bookworm:🧐😷
I guess the University of California schools are closing down. The community college that my wife works at will remain open. If the region has a case, they will remain open. If a student gets sick then it will depend on the circumstances and they will reevaluate.

TP2000

Original Poster
I can't love this more. Would you like to come explain this to our administrators?

Over 100 college age Americans die each year due to Meningitis. Outbreaks are at their worst in dorms and shared housing (fraternities, sororities, campus apartments, etc.) Hundreds more American students who don't die are left with long-term illness related problems, including brain injury.

What I find fascinating is that America's College Industrial Complex (I just made that up) does almost nothing to mandate Meningitis vaccinations before kids show up to campus each fall. They only react after an outbreak happens and a student or two dies on campus.

What is it about Coronavirus, that has already been proven to be nearly inconsequential to people under age 40, that has the college adminstrators so skittish?

Last edited:

captveg

Over 100 college age Americans die each year due to Meningitis. Outbreaks are at their worst in dorms and shared housing (fraternities, sororities, campus apartments, etc.) Hundreds more American students who don't die are left with long-term illness related problems, including brain injury.

What I find fascinating is that America's College Industrial Complex (I just made that up) does almost nothing to mandate Meningitis vaccinations before kids show up to campus each fall. They only react after an outbreak happens and a student or two dies on campus.

What is it about Coronavirus, that has already been proven to be nearly inconsequential to people under age 40, that has the college adminstrators so skittish?

The difference is it's new. Those Meningitis outbreaks are the average and therefore normalized culturally. As the Joker would say, nobody panics because it's part of the socially agreed upon plan.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Especially the college cancellations, when that age group has a 0.0% mortality rate. Meningitis kills more college kids in American dorms and fraternity houses (15% mortality rate for healthy college kids!) every year than this coronavirus ever could.

This panic and hysteria just gets more and more entertaining.

And that's exactly what will close Disneyland, when the public perception shifts to blame Disney for keeping their parks open instead of "Protecting The Children!".

I respect you. Like your posts. Would even have a drink with you.

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried on your posts. This is not about what has happened or is happening. This is about the potential. This is a disease that is contagious. This is not about who you might come in contact with, but the people you might come in contact with later and the people those might come in contact with.

The worst part about it is our government's handling of this. It's abysmal is probably the nicest thing I could say about it. Them sticking their head in the sand is horrendous. People are dying. People are sick. People are not able to get tested for this in many situations. So yes, people should worry a bit and make sure they're prepared.

Limiting exposure is crucial right now. If millions of people get sick all of a sudden? That's bad. Because then exponentially more will get sick. And our healthcare system simply can't handle that kind of volume right now. They don't even have tests to confirm. So instead of potentially risking millions showing up at a hospital because they feel 'sick', they need to limit the chances of that happening where possible. Colleges closing down is a great idea and shifting to online classes. I have no problem with that. Businesses having workers work from home is a great idea.

Maybe when Spring/Summer gets here and the warmer temps come with it (nice, balmy 86 degrees today in DFW), the virus spread will staunch. We don't know that though. There's a lot we don't know about this. Right now, I'm in between not concerned at all and freaking out. Probably closer to 'I'm going to pay attention, stock up on some things that we may need in case everything starts to shutter, and being proactive in decisions'. I'm also not cancelling trips or have put hazmat containers around my house (though I'm ordering some blackout film to help cool my house). We all know someone (I imagine) that could get this and be seriously affected. My mother is one, she suffers from MS, and if she gets this it will be bad. A common cold is bad for her. This would be really, really bad.

So can we tone down the mocking nature of your posts? Because you're well respected on these forums and I think you can provide some keen insight. I think, yes, many are overreacting. I don't disagree with no fans at March Madness or at games for a while. Let's stop this virus in its tracks. If our government was doing more, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but they're content with sticking their heads in the sand and waiting until Jared Kushner make a decision (the profanity-laced tirade I went on when I found that out would surely get me banned from this place).

*hops off soapbox*

TP2000

Original Poster
The difference is it's new. Those Meningitis outbreaks are the average and therefore normalized culturally. As the Joker would say, nobody panics because it's part of the socially agreed upon plan.

I'm afraid you are probably right.

But I wonder how long it will take for society at large to realize this? This truly is the first epidemic of the Social Media age, which is why it's so entertaining to watch play out.

el_super

The virus currently has a 0.77% mortality rate and dropping as more testing is done.

0.77% could still end up being 1,000,000 Americans dead by the end of this. It only took 3,000 people dying in a terrorist attack 2,500 miles away nearly twenty years ago to make bringing glass bottles and knives to Disneyland prohibited. Even if the virus doesn't actually impact the majority of people, it can still radically change people's perception of theme parks for the worse.

TP2000

Original Poster
I respect you. Like your posts. Would even have a drink with you.

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried on your posts. This is not about what has happened or is happening. This is about the potential. This is a disease that is contagious. This is not about who you might come in contact with, but the people you might come in contact with later and the people those might come in contact with.

Thank you for the sane reply!

But what I don't understand is why college campuses don't just ask their faculty over age 60 to stay home to protect themselves? Why does the entire campus have to shut down if the mortality rate for those under 40 is practically nothing? I get you don't want to spread a virus, but these schools stay open every year during flu season and then the kids go home at spring break to infect grandma with a bad flu and potentially kill her.

These are the same college campuses and same administrators that keep their schools running during Meningitis outbreaks, remember. And that's a virus that really does target the young and can kill them within 48 hours. 100+ healthy young Americans die each year due to Meningitis, most of it spread on college campuses.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

But what I don't understand is why college campuses don't just ask their faculty over age 60 to stay home to protect themselves? Why does the entire campus have to shut down if the mortality rate for those under 40 is practically nothing? I get you don't want to spread a virus, but these schools stay open every year during flu season and then the kids go home at spring break to infect grandma with a bad flu and potentially kill her.

These are the same college campuses and same administrators that keep their schools running during Meningitis outbreaks, remember. And that's a virus that really does target the young and can kill them within 48 hours. 100+ healthy young Americans die each year due to Meningitis, most of it spread on college campuses.

Because there are many more students then there are faculty members. And if you start sending faculty members home, who is covering their classes? How many teachers are over the age of 60 at each college/university?

And you're removing, what, a couple hundred people? The risk isn't just about them becoming sick. It's about the people the college kids will interact with. 40K students at one school has a larger impact when you consider the interactions they have, the surfaces they're touching, and all of the other stuff they do. Then they start interacting with parents + grandparents. All of a sudden, your radius of people that you may have been in contact with directly or indirectly increases by 40K in just a moment. That increases the risk exponentially.

TP2000

Original Poster
Because there are many more students then there are faculty members. And if you start sending faculty members home, who is covering their classes? How many teachers are over the age of 60 at each college/university?

And you're removing, what, a couple hundred people? The risk isn't just about them becoming sick. It's about the people the college kids will interact with. 40K students at one school has a larger impact when you consider the interactions they have, the surfaces they're touching, and all of the other stuff they do. Then they start interacting with parents + grandparents. All of a sudden, your radius of people that you may have been in contact with directly or indirectly increases by 40K in just a moment. That increases the risk exponentially.

But the college kids now taking classes online aren't quarantining themselves in their homes. They are still going out into public spaces, probably more so than when they were mainly confined to campus and busy with class. Heck, I bet there's some big keg parties planned this weekend all of a sudden because classes were effectively cancelled!

I'd imagine a line for a keg stand transfers viruses better than sitting at a desk does.

underage-kegstand.jpg

I get it, closing college campuses is a nice gesture, and it may calm panic. But I just don't understand the science behind the gesture. I'll be interested to look back on this six months to a year from now and see if it actually did anything to prevent the elderly and infirm in nursing homes from dying at a higher rate.

Nirya

I'm going to use this post to reply to because it gets at the heart of the matter.

So, I'm 29. I'm in fairly good health outside of seasonal allergies, so should I personally contract coronavirus, I will more than likely be fine. But my parents are also turning 60 this year, and they have become more susceptible to the flu knocking them out for a week in recent years. My grandfather is in his 80s. He definitely is at risk. And my brother is on an immunosuppresor due a separate health complication -

I'm going to link here an article aimed specifically at explaining why social distancing is a good way to fight a pandemic, and why even young people who are statistically less at risk of death should practice it. It gets to two main points, which if you don't want to click on the link I'll put here.

First: coronavirus is much more infectious than the seasonal flu, and with a longer incubation period than the flu, ends up having double the RO rate (essentially, a rate that states how many people will be infected by a disease carrier) than the flu. Combined with an estimation that about 20% of the US population belongs to an at-risk group (aka the elderly or people with other illnesses) and you get a situation where people within that age range where they don't have to worry about the disease end up with decent odds of passing the disease on to someone who does.

Then we get into the second thing: as of right now, the amount of coronavirus cases in the United States is manageable. Emphasis on "right now" - as China and now Italy have demonstrated, the disease is contagious enough that it can very quickly overwhelm a country's health care system. Evidence suggests that the mortality rate for the disease could be less than 1% as long as adequate medical services are available. But Italy has a health care system that is comparable to the US, and they're currently seeing a 6.7% death rate on confirmed COVID-19 cases. And the stories coming out of Italy are horrifying, that of ICU units being set up in hallways of hospitals, and doctors forced to consider how their resources are being spent. This is not a media overreaction: this is the government of the country shutting down all businesses except grocery stores and pharmacies.

The point of social distancing and limiting the amount of large gatherings is to attempt to flatten the infection rate so that our health care system can manage it. I'm going to post an image released by the CDC that helps illustrate this point:

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

(Oh, and specifically for @TP2000 that article also has a link to research on the 1918 influenza that proved that social distancing measures undertaken by the city of St. Louis saved lives, especially compared to Philadelphia which didn't and saw a host more deaths).

Now, of course, these strategies aren't guaranteed to work. And of course there's decent odds that most college-age students are going to convene in groups anyway because that's what they do. This is where I show my expertise and reveal that I'm a high school teacher (Orange County hasn't closed the schools...yet), and people in the younger age brackets happen to be at the age where they generally believe they are invincible and won't die to something as silly as a disease. And the big flaw in social distancing is it's asking people to put aside their own personal happiness in favor of the greater public good, which as history has shown time and again is not a thing most humans are capable of. But it is something that makes a ton of sense and is recommended by public health officials, so why not do it?

(I have a whole separate rant about how government reaction, especially on the federal level, has been woefully inaccurate and is really setting us up for an Italy/China situation rather than a South Korean one, but that's for another subforum).

Nirya

Wasn’t it released that Corona seems to Be less contagious than the flu?

Also, why do the schools/events not shut down during regular flu season? Or the Swine flu outbreak or any of the other outbreaks in the past?

Seasonal flu has an RO rate of around 1.3. COVID-19's RO rate is around 2-3.11, which puts it around Norovirus/Ebola territory.

Darkbeer1

It should be interesting to see what the President says tonight at 6 PM PDT tonight.

Congress has been working on a set of laws and funding that is expected to pass tomorrow.

What happens there will shape the directions the nation will go.

I think this local measure piece meal has been causing some of the more drastic happenings.

But if things progress to the closure/dramatically reduced resort area, let alone businesses that will feel the impact, but also to all the wage/tip earners, and to the government in tax revenues. (The city can get bridge loans if needed though, but how much does the medical emergency cost the city in additional services, for example, paramedics).

Folks in charge have been doing what they can to try and make sure it won't happen, but much is reactionary.

Hey, I might be on the hamster wheel, but in reality, just watching and listening, and asking a stupid question occasionally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom