Will Disney World be celebrating 40 years next year?

brkgnews

Based on the observance of park "milestone" anniversaries since Epcot's 25th, which was simply lightning in a bottle and can't really be compared to anything else (except its upcoming 30th :lookaroun )...

AK 10: Special opening ceremony with Joe Rohde and Jane Goodall. History presentation with Joe Rohde. Special Merch.

DHS 20: Minor alteration to opening ceremony to mention the anniversary. History presentation with Imagineers. Special Merch. Special cupcakes.

DL 55: Special ceremony with original CM and lots of kids. Dove release. Playing original dedication over loudspeakers. Guests singing happy birthday. Special cupcakes. Special merch. Rare footage exhibited in Main Street Cinema.

So, that probably gives you an idea of what will happen, if anything. Some minor to moderate events on the day of, but nothing to completely totally blow your mind.

Of course, some of us simply make our own celebrations. :D

Figments Friend

-

Indeed....

If they do not 'do anything' official, that does not mean the fans cannot have their own little 'get togethers'...and celebrate in their own way.

I know i will be in the Park on October 1st 2011.......how can one not be there for this day?

-

jedimaster1227

DL 55: Special ceremony with original CM and lots of kids. Dove release. Playing original dedication over loudspeakers. Guests singing happy birthday. Special cupcakes. Special merch. Rare footage exhibited in Main Street Cinema.:D

You forgot about the anniversary flashmob! :lol:

But yeah, we'll be there...

redshoesrock

what do you mean eaten alive by leadership

Well, Disney is a company like every other company. And barring some sort of huge paradigm-shift which always comes from the top down (read: Bob Iger or "insert name of future Disney CEO here"), the people that get promoted at Disney are the ones that tote the company line. Meaning if you are going in there with a "Disney is slipping and I'm going to fix it" attitude, you'll have a very hard time because the people you'll be working with are probably the ones who have been promoting the very policies you don't like.

Captain Chaos

I already have my plans made for October 1, 2011.... Bay Lake Tower for that weekend... I have a room overlooking Magic Kingdom... I will be there even if they do not do a blessed thing...

Neverland

Well, Disney is a company like every other company. And barring some sort of huge paradigm-shift which always comes from the top down (read: Bob Iger or "insert name of future Disney CEO here"), the people that get promoted at Disney are the ones that tote the company line.

Adding on to that, if we're talking leadership roles within the parks like BigThunderMatt brought up, then most of the managers I work with weren't promoted at all; they were hired straight into the leadership positions. Only one actually worked in the area previously, and only a few more worked for Disney beforehand. So it's not necessarily about getting promoted, it's about getting hired. Not to mention that it doesn't matter if you're knowledgeable about the department you're hired for or not. One of my attractions managers was transferred to custodial a few weeks ago. Managers are trained to know about the CMs they're in charge of, the rules they're supposed to be following, and how to deal with them if they break the rules. Basically, managers are there to make sure Disney policies are followed, so if you want to make changes, that's not the best role to aim for, although managers do have more sway with higherups than bus drivers.

Adding on to that, if we're talking leadership roles within the parks like BigThunderMatt brought up, then most of the managers I work with weren't promoted at all; they were hired straight into the leadership positions. Only one actually worked in the area previously, and only a few more worked for Disney beforehand. So it's not necessarily about getting promoted, it's about getting hired. Not to mention that it doesn't matter if you're knowledgeable about the department you're hired for or not. One of my attractions managers was transferred to custodial a few weeks ago. Managers are trained to know about the CMs they're in charge of, the rules they're supposed to be following, and how to deal with them if they break the rules. Basically, managers are there to make sure Disney policies are followed, so if you want to make changes, that's not the best role to aim for, although managers do have more sway with higherups than bus drivers.

What a depressing post.
All the more so because it is true.

Horizons1

We're going too. There's already about 30 of us who are planning on being there on Oct. 1 with plenty more trying to find a way to get there. Disney will do something for the 40th because they have now realized they can make money off of these things. After the backlash that was Epcot's 25th hit them by surprise, management was chomping at the bit to make more money off these types of deals. So the thought process now is that the "Disney Nuts" (their term, not mine) are going to come whether there's a big celebration or not. So they put out some merchandise and do a small ceremony. This keeps costs down and still brings in money from the merchandising.

Wilt Dasney

Has anyone seen Kevin Yee's column with his plans for the 40th? Cliff's notes version: He plans to organize informal meets every Saturday of 2011 until Oct. 1. Each meet will be dedicated to one MK attraction, with a handout of some sort, a brief discussion of its history, and then a group ride (or walkthru). It works out as 40 attractions for 40 weeks, and the final week is the park's anniversary. Kind of a neat idea, I thought. He's starting with the Toontown stuff for...obvious reasons. :lookaroun

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky120710a.htm

brkgnews

Has anyone seen Kevin Yee's column with his plans for the 40th? Cliff's notes version: He plans to organize informal meets every Saturday of 2011 until Oct. 1. Each meet will be dedicated to one MK attraction, with a handout of some sort, a brief discussion of its history, and then a group ride (or walkthru). It works out as 40 attractions for 40 weeks, and the final week is the park's anniversary. Kind of a neat idea, I thought. He's starting with the Toontown stuff for...obvious reasons. :lookaroun

Very neat idea. Shame I'm not local (yet :lookaroun)... I'd love to go and geek out with the crew.

ABigBrassBand

I'll be there for Minnie's house, thanks for the heads up! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom