Will Disney Offer a Lifetime Pass ?

UberMouse

I'd drop about $4K per ticket, but above that I just can't justify it. I have had an AP for the past 5 years and I definitely get my moneys worth out of it.

John

If they really want to cash in all they would have to do is FINANCE the 4 or 5 grand.....BO..YAAAAAAA cash bonanza! At 21% and a yearly maintence fee and you got yourself a full fledged cash cow....cha...ching.

RSoxNo1

Lifetime Passes or 10 year passes seem like just the type of shortsighted thing that current management likes to initiate

Bob Saget

Lifetime Passes or 10 year passes seem like just the type of shortsighted thing that current management likes to initiate
Current management wouldn't like the idea. They would be unable to increase it's price every May/August the way they do other ticket options. Just the thought of that would make 'em boil.

dreamfinder

I have a friend who is a DVC member years ago from when DisneyLand started DVC and he has something similar to a lifetime pass from what he was telling me. If I am remebering right it gets him and either 1 or 3 guest into any US park with him. And it was good during his tenor as a DVC owner.

I will have to call him tonight and see if I cant' get more details.

He got it as part of his DVC package.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Yes I have. Not about Disneyland though.

But when they were first starting out with the Disney Vacation Club, a mom's friend was thinking about buying into it.

As an incentive, they offered him a lifetime pass if he bought a certain amount of points.

Unfortunately, he turned it down because, back then, he thought, "how many times will I return to Disney?" He's been kicking himself ever since.

When they initially started to sell DVC, I believe they included a set number of years worth of annual passes for up to 4 people or something similar. I think it was 10 years worth. And apparently they have given away APs as incentives to do add ons in more recent years.

WDWFREAK53

If you do the math , the annual pass is just over $1.09 a day .

Now roll that into a balloon long term plan and you could see the Lifetime Pass at around .45 cent per day . Sound like nothing , but keep in mind
they give you 10 day hoppers for 22.00 a day .

Its very doable and possible!!
Do the math ......:snore:

Plus...who goes to the parks and spends $0.

Between merchandise, food, etc...it could benefit them.

Rather people be in the park than not because they don't want to waste a ticket.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Rather people be in the park than not because they don't want to waste a ticket.

But a lifetime pass puts no leverage on the person to actually visit more frequently. That's why it's a bad idea.

An annual pass has the angle of putting pressure on a guest to return 'enough' to break even. And then you milk the benefits of their trips.

A pass with no pressure to return means simply leaving money on the table because the pass holder is only going to come whenever they were likely to come anyways. 'cheaper' trips just means they spend money in bucket B instead of bucket A. It needs to INCREASE their spending, not shift it, to be of value to the company.

UberMouse

But a lifetime pass puts no leverage on the person to actually visit more frequently. That's why it's a bad idea.

An annual pass has the angle of putting pressure on a guest to return 'enough' to break even. And then you milk the benefits of their trips.

A pass with no pressure to return means simply leaving money on the table because the pass holder is only going to come whenever they were likely to come anyways. 'cheaper' trips just means they spend money in bucket B instead of bucket A. It needs to INCREASE their spending, not shift it, to be of value to the company.

Even with that logic, Disney has your money up front, and if you don't use their facilities then they are still only out the cost of the paper that the pass was printed on. I used to own a fitness center. We sell monthly and annual passes. We really like our AP holders because 80% of them never return and probably cancel after a year is up, but we still got a years worth of money and returned no service to them. Those were the best members.

rangerbob

We do often. We eat a late lunch and then head into the parks for the night.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Even with that logic, Disney has your money up front, and if you don't use their facilities then they are still only out the cost of the paper that the pass was printed on. I used to own a fitness center. We sell monthly and annual passes. We really like our AP holders because 80% of them never return and probably cancel after a year is up, but we still got a years worth of money and returned no service to them. Those were the best members.

Agree - but that is different style of transaction/buying decision.

A gym membership is sold on the premise of upselling them that upfront is cheaper than paying monthly.. in a term they can tolerate. Then you are betting on within that term the person will fade from their dedication and you've just gotten paid for months they don't show up by simply offering a bit of a discount in exchange for up front dollars.

But lifetime isn't a term you can say 'well I'll just give them enough discount to entice them as its better to pay now then later'. You can't take your 'get 12m for the price of 10' strategy to get the money up front... because of several key differences

- This is a thing people want to do, not a burden they are likely to give up.. like working out
- The dollar amounts involved are much higher
- The usable term is much much longer

If I said 'you can goto the gym anytime you want' or 'you can goto WDW anytime you want'... the latter is far less likely to fall out of favor of the guest.

Add to the problem of costing it for upfront dollars... now what do you base it on? 5 years of usage? 10? 50?

At those types of terms.. now you are talking money people relate to buying cars.. etc. Now it's even harder to upsell.. making it cost you more money to market and sell the product.. eating into your profit margin.

A far better program for Disney would be to offer term based discount programs. The longer you are in, the better the perk/discount. You create incentives to keep the customer paying, for fear of losing their status.

Imagine a model where you could 'pre pay' 5 years of admissions at a specific discount... but at the 5 year mark.. you want to create a scenario where the customer is willing to buy in for another 5 years.. even if they aren't 100% certain they would use it the same as the last 5 years.

This way you achieve a few things
1 - you ensure you have recurring revenue for the future
2 - it gives customers confidence there is an escape route if they need it
3 - it provides you a method to change prices in the future even for existing customers
4 - by making the transaction for a smaller term, you make the size of the transaction smaller.. hence more obtainable.. and likely easier to sell people on
5 - provides a way for the company to end the program if desired in the future rather than having to honor 'lifetime' windows

It's a hybrid.. you lock people in for a 'forseeable future' and get money up front even if they don't come... yet don't bet your entire future and all revenue on a decision made years ago.

PeeplMoovr

Original 1971 Adult ticket prices to the Magic Kingdom were as follows:

General Admission and Transportation: $3.50
7 Adventure Ticket Book (included admission): $4.75
11 Adventure Ticket Book (included admission): $5.75
Guided Tours were $6.50
Parking was $.50 per day, and the kennel club also charged $.50 per day

UberMouse

Agree - but that is different style of transaction/buying decision.

A gym membership is sold on the premise of upselling them that upfront is cheaper than paying monthly.. in a term they can tolerate. Then you are betting on within that term the person will fade from their dedication and you've just gotten paid for months they don't show up by simply offering a bit of a discount in exchange for up front dollars.

But lifetime isn't a term you can say 'well I'll just give them enough discount to entice them as its better to pay now then later'. You can't take your 'get 12m for the price of 10' strategy to get the money up front... because of several key differences

- This is a thing people want to do, not a burden they are likely to give up.. like working out
- The dollar amounts involved are much higher
- The usable term is much much longer

If I said 'you can goto the gym anytime you want' or 'you can goto WDW anytime you want'... the latter is far less likely to fall out of favor of the guest.

Add to the problem of costing it for upfront dollars... now what do you base it on? 5 years of usage? 10? 50?

At those types of terms.. now you are talking money people relate to buying cars.. etc. Now it's even harder to upsell.. making it cost you more money to market and sell the product.. eating into your profit margin.

A far better program for Disney would be to offer term based discount programs. The longer you are in, the better the perk/discount. You create incentives to keep the customer paying, for fear of losing their status.

Imagine a model where you could 'pre pay' 5 years of admissions at a specific discount... but at the 5 year mark.. you want to create a scenario where the customer is willing to buy in for another 5 years.. even if they aren't 100% certain they would use it the same as the last 5 years.

This way you achieve a few things
1 - you ensure you have recurring revenue for the future
2 - it gives customers confidence there is an escape route if they need it
3 - it provides you a method to change prices in the future even for existing customers
4 - by making the transaction for a smaller term, you make the size of the transaction smaller.. hence more obtainable.. and likely easier to sell people on
5 - provides a way for the company to end the program if desired in the future rather than having to honor 'lifetime' windows

It's a hybrid.. you lock people in for a 'forseeable future' and get money up front even if they don't come... yet don't bet your entire future and all revenue on a decision made years ago.

There is one vital thing left out of your formula though. There are always more people being born. And again, if the people don't use the passes then Disney is only out the cost of printing. If they do use the passes then they will be more apt to stay on property or buy merchandise due to not having any additional ticket expense in future trips once they have paid off their passes with usage. I could definitely see them adding some sort of annual maintenance fee for use that would be renewed on the first visit of the new year. Then if you don't use it that year then you won't have to pay the fee.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is one vital thing left out of your formula though. There are always more people being born. And again, if the people don't use the passes then Disney is only out the cost of printing. If they do use the passes then they will be more apt to stay on property or buy merchandise due to not having any additional ticket expense in future trips once they have paid off their passes with usage. I could definitely see them adding some sort of annual maintenance fee for use that would be renewed on the first visit of the new year. Then if you don't use it that year then you won't have to pay the fee.

If you don't INCREASE spending with the plan - you are leaving money on the table. Moving money from ticket sales to hotel sales really doesn't benefit you. You need more TOTAL spending - not just moving between buckets.

Your whole 'up front' purchase sell is to ensure you upsold the total transaction on that large percentage of people who otherwise wouldn't have used the service that long.

The most loyal customers are the ones who are going to pay ANYWAYS - so why take the customers that are most willing to pay, and make it so they don't have to pay. That's leaving money on the table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom