Will anyone stay on site any longer?

CSJORDAN

Am I the only one who thinks Universal is a horrible atmosphere that I'd never bring my children to? I was a local for three years and we'd go to CityWalk for dinner once in awhile and the entire place was constantly packed to the gills with trashy local teenagers. Has that changed?
Quite the opposite. My family and I USED to be die hard Disney fans. We still love Disney, but gave up our Disney AP's almost two years ago, and have become UOP for over a year now. We love the Uni parks, and the hotels. We have stayed onsite at Uni 5 times, since COVID re-opening, and onsite at Disney 2 out of those 5 times, adding 3-4 days at Disney, at the end of the Uni stay.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

But why would you ever stay at Cabana Bay and pay $600 more per person? When you could stay at one of the deluxe resorts for $400/night with the express pass included? IF YOU WERE INTERESTED IN THE EXPRESS PASS
My family of five will be staying at Adventura for three nights in one of the family suites when we visit in June. These rooms have four separate sleeping surfaces. I have 3 mid-late teens, with the two boys being over 5'7" each and the third being my daughter. Putting any combination of two of them in a bed together is just asking for more headache than I am willing to deal with as it would put a major damper on the vacation experience for each of us. So while I'm interested in the express pass, I'm more interested in peace between siblings and relaxation, so we will forego the extra expense for now (though I wish I could afford one of the other family suites).

dreday3

We will still stay on-site. It's part of the experience for us. We don't go every year, more like every 3 or 4. So we stay around 9 nights when we go.
We are trying out a moderate this year with Gran Destino and looking forward to the resort as a whole, looks beautiful.

Our next big trip (Disney trip at least) we are aiming to stay at Animal Kingdom - Savannah View. To me, that is the last of the truly "Disney" of the WDW hotels. It's a dream of mine to stay there!

LovePop

I recently booked a Universal trip. First time ever, because Disney is booked full in October and that's when I wanted to go. Then I had to cancel because I looked at Delta stats more closely and got scared. But the more I think about it, we are not going to Universal, ever. It's just not good enough. It doesn't matter how much Disney raise prices or take away benefits, they are the only vacation spot for us. Nothing else is good enough.

A few months ago I stayed at Dolphin and Hilton Bonnet Creek, first time trying offsite hotels. The hotels were extremely beautiful, and the rooms were nice. But I didn't like it in the sense that I felt Pop Century is better. The Pop rooms are smaller, and everything isn't near as fancy, but it's more magical. And magical is what makes our vacation amazing. For as long as I can afford it, I will stay committed to Disney and never look elsewhere. And I will book my next Disney trip as soon as virus numbers come down.

Disclaimer: Not saying anybody shouldn't go to Universal. I studied Universal carefully and it's actually very good for our family. The whole place is laid out within walking distance, and we love the idea of walking to the parks and hotels, everywhere being so easily accessible by walking with beautiful paved paths, and they also have buses and boats. I booked the Cabana Bay Resort because it's both inexpensive and beautiful, with its own waterslide and lazy river. Universal also allows you to pool hop if you are a resort guest, something I planned to do. The annual pass costs half as much as my Disney 10 day pass. If you are not stuck on Disney like me, you should definitely consider Universal, it's worth a visit at least, if you haven't done it already. But don't mind me, I'm stuck and can't help it.

Note: proof that Universal allows pool hopping (there seems to be some disagreement):

"Whether you’ve chosen to stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel Orlando, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort or Universal’s Aventura Hotel, ... As a hotel guest you can enjoy any of the on-site hotel pools, so grab your sunscreen and pool hop around our resort."

JusticeDisney

With the new genie+, lightening lane and paid fastpass, what is the incentive to stay on property for the premium they charge?

you can get a HUGE incentive to stay at Hard Rock universal by getting express pass and paying $300 per night vs contemporary $900 per night.

you don’t miss out on anything at wdw by doing that (other than 2 hours at night twice per week which is almost nothing) and you save a TON of money while skipping EVERY line at universal without paying for it. Then get a 2-3 day park hopper and buy the 2 FPs at Disney.
You actually miss out on a lot at WDW by doing what you are suggesting. Dont get me wrong, everyone should do what they want as far as lodging, but staying at a Universal hotel for a WDW vacation is simply not even in the same ball park as actually staying at a WDW resort. Of course, the converse is also true.

JusticeDisney

Am I the only one who thinks Universal is a horrible atmosphere that I'd never bring my children to? I was a local for three years and we'd go to CityWalk for dinner once in awhile and the entire place was constantly packed to the gills with trashy local teenagers. Has that changed?
There’s no question that Universal has a different clientele than WDW. I’ll just leave it at that.

JusticeDisney

I think it makes way more sense especially with the perks you get from staying in an express pass hotel.
You keep pointing out the “perks” that you get from staying at a Universal hotel. What you seem to be actually saying is that you prefer a Universal vacation, which of course is totally fine and totally your prerogative. The bottom line, however, is that if someone wants to take a WDW vacation, the “perks” that you keep talking about for staying at a Universal hotel are meaningless. Other than maybe saving some money, it will never be more beneficial to stay at Universal over WDW for a WDW vacation. Not in my opinion, at least.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
You keep pointing out the “perks” that you get from staying at a Universal hotel. What you seem to be actually saying is that you prefer a Universal vacation, which of course is totally fine and totally your prerogative. The bottom line, however, is that if someone wants to take a WDW vacation, the “perks” that you keep talking about for staying at a Universal hotel are meaningless. Other than maybe saving some money, it will never be more beneficial to stay at Universal over WDW for a WDW vacation. Not in my opinion, at least.
How do you figure. Express pass isn’t meaningless. You save a ton of money and get awesome location.

JusticeDisney

How do you figure. Express pass isn’t meaningless. You save a ton of money and get awesome location.
Express pass and proximity to Universal parks is meaningless to a WDW vacation. Like I said, what you appear to be actually arguing is that people should go to Universal over WDW.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
No. What
Express pass and proximity to Universal parks is meaningless to a WDW vacation. Like I said, what you appear to be actually arguing is that people should go to Universal over WDW I’m saying is stay at a participating universal express pass hotel, save thousands of dollars, get express pass but still go to
Express pass and proximity to Universal parks is meaningless to a WDW vacation. Like I said, what you appear to be actually arguing is that people should go to Universal over WDW.
No. What I’m saying is stay at a participating express pass universal hotel, save thousands of dollars, get to ride any universal ride with no line and still go to Disney parks. You save a ton of money, have great theming , don’t miss out on any perks of staying at a wdw hotel because they got rid of all of them. You still get to experience the Disney parks while saving thousands of dollars and get the added bonus of free express pass and staying at an awesome hotel.

JusticeDisney

No. What

No. What I’m saying is stay at a participating express pass universal hotel, save thousands of dollars, get to ride any universal ride with no line and still go to Disney parks. You save a ton of money, have great theming , don’t miss out on any perks of staying at a wdw hotel because they got rid of all of them. You still get to experience the Disney parks while saving thousands of dollars and get the added bonus of free express pass and staying at an awesome hotel.
What you are describing is fine. But it’s simply not a WDW vacation. It is a Universal vacation. If someone wishes to take a WDW vacation, then Universal express passes are meaningless. But you know what isn’t meaningless? Staying far away from WDW at a Universal hotel and having to arrange and pay for transportation every time you want to go to a WDW park. Also, Universal hotel theming (if there even is such a thing) is not WDW theming. Again, what you are talking about would make for an awesome Universal vacation. But if someone’s wish is to take a WDW vacation, then staying at Universal isn’t going to enhance that trip.

As for you saying WDW got rid of every perk, that’s simply not true. There are still the perks of being close to the WDW parks, the free transportation to the parks, and the early/late access to the parks.

John park hopper

What you are describing is fine. But it’s simply not a WDW vacation. It is a Universal vacation. If someone wishes to take a WDW vacation, then Universal express passes are meaningless. But you know what isn’t meaningless? Staying far away from WDW at a Universal hotel and having to arrange and pay for transportation every time you want to go to a WDW park. Also, Universal hotel theming (if there even is such a thing) is not WDW theming. Again, what you are talking about would make for an awesome Universal vacation. But if someone’s wish is to take a WDW vacation, then staying at Universal isn’t going to enhance that trip.

As for you saying WDW got rid of every perk, that’s simply not true. There are still the perks of being close to the WDW parks, the free transportation to the parks, and the early/late access to the parks.
Compared to what they have taken away or charge for now that does't leave much.

Jeff4272

Original Poster

No......Im talking about a WDW vacation while staying offsite.......i will be going same number of days to WDW parks, I will just be saving thousands while also getting a bonus to go to Universal with no lines............The "perk" of being onsite isn't worth the $3k-$4k i will be saving as you don't get any tangible perks any more and we dont rope drop so the "perks" they offer are irrelevant.......Ill get a limo to drop and pick me up every day and still save thousands while staying at a MUCH better hotel

Its still s Disney vacation, just at a better and cheaper hotel while also getting Express Pass for free

Tony the Tigger

No......Im talking about a WDW vacation while staying offsite.......i will be going same number of days to WDW parks, I will just be saving thousands while also getting a bonus to go to Universal with no lines............The "perk" of being onsite isn't worth the $3k-$4k i will be saving as you don't get any tangible perks any more and we dont rope drop so the "perks" they offer are irrelevant.......Ill get a limo to drop and pick me up every day and still save thousands while staying at a MUCH better hotel

Its still s Disney vacation, just at a better and cheaper hotel while also getting Express Pass for free
Hey, if that works for you, great.

Understand not everyone sees the benefit. If I have no interest in going to Universal, then it’s a big yawn.

If it’s all about saving money off site, I can already do that a lot closer to WDW.

sullyinMT

Hey, if that works for you, great.

Understand not everyone sees the benefit. If I have no interest in going to Universal, then it’s a big yawn.

If it’s all about saving money off site, I can already do that a lot closer to WDW.
Agree with this. We enjoy both destinations for different reasons, and would rather do a private transfer between UOR and WDW and stay in each respective "bubble." For us, it's not either/or, it's and. I'd rather walk to Universal parks - more specifically, walk to my hotel AFTER park time, while at Universal. Then enjoy all that the WDW bubble has to offer, or vice versa on order.

If we were to ever stay off site during a WDW stay, we'd be more likely to look at a Flamingo Crossings hotel on points than remain in our Uni hotel. The time spent on the commute alone would kill the vibe regardless of savings (for us).

JusticeDisney

It may be better in your eyes, and that’s certainly fine. But in my eyes (and I’m sure in many others’ eyes as well) the thought of staying all the way over on Universal property in order to vacation at WDW sounds miserable.

Oh, and one last thing. The Universal hotels are not better (let alone “MUCH” better) simply because you keep saying they are. It’s a personal choice and not everyone agrees with you. Again, you have every right to feel however you want, but I believe that many WDW resorts blow even the best Universal resort out of the water.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom