Will anyone stay on site any longer?

Dave B

I know, right? Why do people even talk about Universal? It's a lot cheaper than Disney because that's all it's worth -- if it's worth even that. My kids talk about Universal some times but I tell them that we are never going there, it's for people who can't afford Disney. I'll stay at All Stars before I ever stay at Portafino.
Because their Hotel rooms are amazing and much cheaper, easy to stay there and go to Disney

Sir_Cliff

I know, right? Why do people even talk about Universal? It's a lot cheaper than Disney because that's all it's worth -- if it's worth even that. My kids talk about Universal some times but I tell them that we are never going there, it's for people who can't afford Disney. I'll stay at All Stars before I ever stay at Portafino.
Even though I'm not that interested in staying at Universal, this did make me chuckle.

"We're not going to Universal, dear. That's where poor people go."

Or it's for the people who aren't drunk on the Disney kool-aid.
😂I mean do you actually think you are getting luxury at a Disney resort? Nope, you can pay luxury prices but all you are getting is suckered.

To answer you OP, no I won't stay on Disney property anymore.

Weather_Lady

Am I the only one who thinks Universal is a horrible atmosphere that I'd never bring my children to? I was a local for three years and we'd go to CityWalk for dinner once in awhile and the entire place was constantly packed to the gills with trashy local teenagers. Has that changed?
We just spent 4 days and nights at Universal, passing through and/or dining in CityWalk daily. I'm a pretty upright conservative type, and we didn't see or hear anything that raised an eyebrow. It was mostly families. Granted, we weren't out any later than 9:30pm, so it's certainly possible the late-night atmosphere and clientele is different...

sullyinMT

With the new genie+, lightening lane and paid fastpass, what is the incentive to stay on property for the premium they charge?

you can get a HUGE incentive to stay at Hard Rock universal by getting express pass and paying $300 per night vs contemporary $900 per night.

you don’t miss out on anything at wdw by doing that (other than 2 hours at night twice per week which is almost nothing) and you save a TON of money while skipping EVERY line at universal without paying for it. Then get a 2-3 day park hopper and buy the 2 FPs at Disney.
Late to the conversation, but my family is probably more likely to board a DCL ship going forward. Especially as our boys get older and can appreciate a day at a time of new cultural experiences. One of the best things to happen with the pandemic is postponing enough Eastern Caribbean sailings that we decided to do the 11 night Northern Europe for our 20th anniversary, instead. The boys will learn and see way more than I did at their ages, and we still get our “Disney Fix” that all four of us crave in our own right.

If I can choose between sticky Mine Train cars and a melting Cheshire Cat Tail (God I love those things) in Orlando heat/humidity or posing with Donald in Skagway, I’ll take the later. That doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy WDW, but it’s not our first Disney choice anymore.

sullyinMT

We just spent 4 days and nights at Universal, passing through and/or dining in CityWalk daily. I'm a pretty upright conservative type, and we didn't see or hear anything that raised an eyebrow. It was mostly families. Granted, we weren't out any later than 9:30pm, so it's certainly possible the late-night atmosphere and clientele is different...
This. It’s not so bad during the day, or any time the parks are open. It’s when it turns in to any other bar/restaurant district that it gets a little crazy.

Not that WS at closing is always a cakewalk, either. I’ve blushed just as many times during late night F&W and Festival of the Holidays “pub crawls.”

Jeff4272

Original Poster
Late to the conversation, but my family is probably more likely to board a DCL ship going forward. Especially as our boys get older and can appreciate a day at a time of new cultural experiences. One of the best things to happen with the pandemic is postponing enough Eastern Caribbean sailings that we decided to do the 11 night Northern Europe for our 20th anniversary, instead. The boys will learn and see way more than I did at their ages, and we still get our “Disney Fix” that all four of us crave in our own right.

If I can choose between sticky Mine Train cars and a melting Cheshire Cat Tail (God I love those things) in Orlando heat/humidity or posing with Donald in Skagway, I’ll take the later. That doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy WDW, but it’s not our first Disney choice anymore.
We were thinking of going to Aluani next summer with our points.

Dayma

Yes, we will continue to stay at the resorts. Nothing has changed my mind in the slightest, that they still aren't the best experience for us, in terms of theme and park accessibility.

Tony the Tigger

I will, because I enjoy it. The perks never mattered much (other than the free parking, which I still find annoying.)

I know that there are other options for less of a difference. Read Tom brickers article he just published on Hard Rock. That’s $300 per night. Contemporary is $900
I have stayed at CBR for well under $200 many times. Totally love it. (I believe it’s gone up since the Skyliner went in, but I’m sure there are other options.

Bottom line, I don’t have DVC points, but I have Chase Disney points. Universal doesn’t take those. My rooms are on the house.

They used to be, no discounts any longer as of now

That’s not true. We’re going on Friday and I booked our room on a standard discount, then rebooked it when FL resident discounts came out and saved a few bucks.

OG Runner

With the new genie+, lightening lane and paid fastpass, what is the incentive to stay on property for the premium they charge?

you can get a HUGE incentive to stay at Hard Rock universal by getting express pass and paying $300 per night vs contemporary $900 per night.

you don’t miss out on anything at wdw by doing that (other than 2 hours at night twice per week which is almost nothing) and you save a TON of money while skipping EVERY line at universal without paying for it. Then get a 2-3 day park hopper and buy the 2 FPs at Disney.

I will be staying at WDW in January at the CBR. I have to say I am not happy with the new system or the cost.
It is important to note, Universal is a much smaller park. I do not think Disney could do an Express Pass the same way.
My last stay at Universal was at the Portofino and having Express Pass included was great. I think for full disclosure you
should note if you are not staying at one of the higher end resorts at Universal the Express Pass is not included. Did you
also know, during the Summer if you needed to purchase an Express Pass separately the cost was up to $600.00. Like I
said I am not really happy with the new system, but I think I will see how it works before making any rash decisions or
comparisons.

Dave B

That's what is great about the value in Universal right now, that $600 Express Pass is included in a $400 room and it is included for everyone in the room, so going by your numbers that is a $2400 add on for free by staying at Universal Deluxe Room

Dave B

I will, because I enjoy it. The perks never mattered much (other than the free parking, which I still find annoying.)

I have stayed at CBR for well under $200 many times. Totally love it. (I believe it’s gone up since the Skyliner went in, but I’m sure there are other options.

Bottom line, I don’t have DVC points, but I have Chase Disney points. Universal doesn’t take those. My rooms are on the house.

That’s not true. We’re going on Friday and I booked our room on a standard discount, then rebooked it when FL resident discounts came out and saved a few bucks.
We were talking about discount after October 1st, not current :)

Jeff4272

Original Poster
That's what is great about the value in Universal right now, that $600 Express Pass is included in a $400 room and it is included for everyone in the room, so going by your numbers that is a $2400 add on for free by staying at Universal Deluxe Room
And its a great experience......Its different than WDW, not debating that, but certain aspects of it are really good vs WDW and when you factor in the free express pass, its almost a no brainer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom