Will anyone stay on site any longer?

LovePop

I'll always stay on site just because of the atmosphere, I like the bubble. I could care less how cheap Universal because I wouldn't go there anyways.
I know, right? Why do people even talk about Universal? It's a lot cheaper than Disney because that's all it's worth -- if it's worth even that. My kids talk about Universal some times but I tell them that we are never going there, it's for people who can't afford Disney. I'll stay at All Stars before I ever stay at Portafino.

RoadiJeff

I know that there are other options for less of a difference. Read Tom brickers article he just published on Hard Rock. That’s $300 per night. Contemporary is $900
$900 per night to stay at the Contemporary??? I know it's been a few years since I stayed there and I haven't kept up on the prices but good grief. There's nothing that magical about the Contemporary for me to spend that much. When I spent 4 days at WDW last September I stayed at a Holiday Inn and drove maybe 10 minutes to whichever park I was going to for the day. It was a decent hotel and no upcharge for parking. I booked it through a travel company and it was around $65 per night. I'll probably stay at the same hotel if/when I go back in October.

I remember back in 1975 when a friend and I visited WDW for a few days. We stayed somewhere in Kissimmee (I don't remember the hotel name). Since the monorail passed through the Contemporary each time we rode from the MK I was curious at what it would cost to stay there. I got off one time before getting to the parking lot stop and navigated my way to the front desk. I recall being surprised at what I thought was an expensive rate of $55/night and I told the cast member that maybe some day I'd try it.

John park hopper

$900 per night to stay at the Contemporary??? I know it's been a few years since I stayed there and I haven't kept up on the prices but good grief. There's nothing that magical about the Contemporary for me to spend that much. When I spent 4 days at WDW last September I stayed at a Holiday Inn and drove maybe 10 minutes to whichever park I was going to for the day. It was a decent hotel and no upcharge for parking. I booked it through a travel company and it was around $65 per night. I'll probably stay at the same hotel if/when I go back in October.

I remember back in 1975 when a friend and I visited WDW for a few days. We stayed somewhere in Kissimmee (I don't remember the hotel name). Since the monorail passed through the Contemporary each time we rode from the MK I was curious at what it would cost to stay there. I got off one time before getting to the parking lot stop and navigated my way to the front desk. I recall being surprised at what I thought was an expensive rate of $55/night and I told the cast member that maybe some day I'd try it.
We stayed at the Contemporary in 1977 for our honeymoon 45 dollars a night---still have the receipt. first and last time we stayed there.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s a lot of hyperbole in a thread like this…but In fact the base prices for some of the Disney hotels are in that $800 range.

i was quote a “discounted” rate for I think a pool view at poly this coming week (a rather dead/slow period) from a travel agent I’ve gotten good discounts in the past for $775 a night.
“Discount”

disney prices are astronomical for what you get.

but it’s hard making accurate comparisons throwing around non rack prices.

Nottamus

DVC AKL. So we will always stay on property. We drive in, but like to use Disney park transportation when there.
We feel AKL in an Amazing place to stay really can’t be rivaled at Universal.

Speaking of Universal, it’s not too far Down the road. Disney is exit 65, universal 75. We visited once for two days..and honestly pretty much accomplished everything we wanted to do there- with time to spare.

have yet to accomplish every thing at Disney in two days.

the atmosphere, the resort, the park variety, the memories, it will always keep us coming back!

SteveAZee

You can’t use renting points as a legitimate cost comparison. It’s a not even an official thing….it’s an independent secondary market that Disney has “tolerated” to this point. No guarantees that last forever. I honestly don’t really understand why they have? If DVC sales ever slow…look out.
I'm wondering how they would enforce it, though. Not allow check-in unless the owner is there in person to do it? What about virtual check-in... get the geolocation of the owner and make sure they're somewhere near WDW? The owner can't send their grown kids to have a fun week at Disney on their own? I suppose they could find a way, but it would probably irk a lot of people... like charging for fastpasses... :rolleyes:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm wondering how they would enforce it, though. Not allow check-in unless the owner is there in person to do it? What about virtual check-in... get the geolocation of the owner and make sure they're somewhere near WDW? The owner can't send their grown kids to have a fun week at Disney on their own? I suppose they could find a way, but it would probably irk a lot of people... like charging for fastpasses... :rolleyes:
it wouldn’t be that hard…verify Id.

remember that the member has to technically make the reservation anyway…and the DVC protocols don’t extend beyond those listed on the contract unless otherwise specified.

SteveAZee

it wouldn’t be that hard…verify Id.

remember that the member has to technically make the reservation anyway…and the DVC protocols don’t extend beyond those listed on the contract unless otherwise specified.
I haven't looked closely at the DVC contracts, but if it does say that somewhere that the owner has to be present at check-in, then yeah... that would put an end to renting. It would also put an end to people gifting family members a week stay at Disney without the owner being present. Certainly doable.

eliza61nyc

With the new genie+, lightening lane and paid fastpass, what is the incentive to stay on property for the premium they charge?

you can get a HUGE incentive to stay at Hard Rock universal by getting express pass and paying $300 per night vs contemporary $900 per night.

you don’t miss out on anything at wdw by doing that (other than 2 hours at night twice per week which is almost nothing) and you save a TON of money while skipping EVERY line at universal without paying for it. Then get a 2-3 day park hopper and buy the 2 FPs at Disney.
lol you're on a Disney fansite trying to convince people to stay at Universal??

Do you really think the disney resorts are suddenly going to go empty? Personally I don't go if I can't stay on site, I've done off site a number of times and every single time we said we wasted the money.

folks, many people who stay on site do so because they love it. they fully know of what is offsite, what is available at Universal and are capable of using the internet to research.

So to answer your question, the incentive is that it's on site and that's where people want to stay. I have friends with small children, they love being able to walk from the Contemporary to MK for them the convenience is worth it's weight in gold.
I love AKL, it's like no place else. no I do not think Universal gives me the same feeling, if it did that's where I would be.
Price is only one factor in our decision when picking vacations. penny wise, pound foolish. saving a few bucks and then wishing you were some place else is not how my vacation should be.

Edited: this may change when Genie plus kicks in. I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven't looked closely at the DVC contracts, but if it does say that somewhere that the owner has to be present at check-in, then yeah... that would put an end to renting. It would also put an end to people gifting family members a week stay at Disney without the owner being present. Certainly doable.
I don’t think is says “present”…but I believe you have to be listed to actually use it?
Which they don’t follow or rentals wouldn’t exist.

i’d have to dust mine off and look at It…

many DVC have long adamantly professed they can’t stop rentals. “We own it!”
No…we rent it because it has a termination date. Basic contract written in a state that is 1000% pro corporate interest.

so if they wanted to write out rentals…it would take a week.

but the problem for Disney is many run partial or complete rental businesses with their points. So locking that down would dump Millions of points onto the market - potentially. The value would crash.

I have heard instances of DDC sending warning lenders To owners who rent in volume…so they are well aware.

SteveAZee

I don’t think is says “present”…but I believe you have to be listed to actually use it?

No…we rent it because it has a termination date. Basic contract written in a state that is 1000% pro corporate interest.

but the problem for Disney is many run partial or complete rental businesses with their points. So locking that down would dump Millions of points onto the market - potentially. The value would crash.

I have heard instances of DDC sending warning lenders To owners who rent in volume…so they are well aware.
Interesting about that last bit.

FYI I bought multiple contracts back in the early 90's but sold when the kids were of an age that I didn't want to pull them out of school to go and wanted to avoid the popular out-of-school times like the plague (present virus excepted :) ) but I'm in the process of buying third party again. I'm assuming I'll use most of the points but if not I may rent.

If the market is flooded with people selling and the price drops, I suppose Disney will step in and exercise ROFR as needed, but that means a LOT of cash outlay on their part and then overloading the sales department as they try to sell/resell into a flooded marketplace. They're doing what they can to force direct sales by cutting what few perks there are left to people buying third party. If they do something like that (ban renting), I don't see them being able to be selective about specific resorts (I could be wrong)... it would have to be enforced for all or none. It could get ugly.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

While I don't see anywhere stating that the owner must be present, it does state this:

Home Resort Vacation Points are merely reflective of PURCHASER's Ownership Interest as described herein, and these Home Resort Vacation Points may not be hypothecated, bought, sold, exchanged, rented or otherwise transferred separate and apart from PURCHASER's Ownership Interest.

So yes, they could somehow restrict renting, but they do not restrict someone giving a trip away to someone else. I don't see them doing anything different, as many, like us, would book a trip for our kids without us being there, and I don't see them restricting this behavior.

Oh, and to stick to the thread, we will always stay onsite being DVC. No reason to ever stay offsite.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I don't see anywhere stating that the owner must be present, it does state this:

Home Resort Vacation Points are merely reflective of PURCHASER's Ownership Interest as described herein, and these Home Resort Vacation Points may not be hypothecated, bought, sold, exchanged, rented or otherwise transferred separate and apart from PURCHASER's Ownership Interest.

So yes, they could somehow restrict renting, but they do not restrict someone giving a trip away to someone else. I don't see them doing anything different, as many, like us, would book a trip for our kids without us being there, and I don't see them restricting this behavior.

Oh, and to stick to the thread, we will always stay onsite being DVC. No reason to ever stay offsite.
Good research…that’s what I remembered/believed

I’ve gotten in the tussle on boards before: renting points is actually an violation of the contract as a side hussle.

that works both ways: people who rent won’t accept that it’s being “tolerated” and it could end on them with no recourse

and renters believe they have more autonomy than they do.

it’s been advantageous to Disney to this point…the most logical reason beyond foot traffic is renters are more infrequent and probably spend more on higher value out of pocket stuff…

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Good research…that’s what I remembered/believed

I’ve gotten in the tussle on boards before: renting points is actually an violation of the contract as a side hussle.

that works both ways: people who rent won’t accept that it’s being “tolerated” and it could end on them with no recourse

and renters believe they have more autonomy than they do.

it’s been advantageous to Disney to this point…the most logical reason beyond foot traffic is renters are more infrequent and probably spend more on higher value out of pocket stuff…
Agree, and I think the other reason Disney tolerates it is that there have to be some that decide they like it, and buy in. A lot would never buy in without first renting and seeing what the deal is when you have a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom there on vacation. Yes, I know that you can rent houses and rooms at other off-site resorts with multiple rooms, but those of us that will only stay on-site are not people that will ever rent a house or other resort off-site.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree, and I think the other reason Disney tolerates it is that there have to be some that decide they like it, and buy in. A lot would never buy in without first renting and seeing what the deal is when you have a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom there on vacation. Yes, I know that you can rent houses and rooms at other off-site resorts with multiple rooms, but those of us that will only stay on-site are not people that will ever rent a house or other resort off-site.
100%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom