Wilderness Lodge water feature refurb

note2001

They shouldn't be down by the time the pool is. However, with the pool closed, there certainly will be an impact on where water from the waterfall can flow.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the fountains would still be down, I only meant to point out we may be getting off topic due to the pool refub happening starting in Sept.

However, you have a good point. I am pretty sure when they do the pool work later they will need the bottom half of the stream shut off. Not sure if this means the waterfall would be off as I only know that the lobby fountain is on a different system than the one flowing into the pool. If the break is under the bridge, then chances are that the waterfall will be on.
Note also, there is also a third fountain running from around the pool down to the lake. Not sure if they're planning on working on that one too.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the fountains would still be down, I only meant to point out we may be getting off topic due to the pool refub happening starting in Sept.

However, you have a good point. I am pretty sure when they do the pool work later they will need the bottom half of the stream shut off. Not sure if this means the waterfalls would be off.
Note also, there is also a third fountain running from around the pool down to the lake. Not sure if they're planning on working on that one too.
I am imagining a nonsensical situation where only the pool "fountain" is off, so you have water from the waterfall not passing through the pool but magically still heading down to the lake. Now that's magic!

note2001

I am imagining a nonsensical situation where only the pool "fountain" is off, so you have water from the waterfall not passing through the pool but magically still heading down to the lake. Now that's magic!

It will be like the hidden river... dives down under the pool area to reappear on the other side, hehe.

Rob562

Someone would have to check to make sure, but with the lobby system shut off presumably there is pool water "magically appearing" from under the footbridge just above the pool...

And for reference to others who weren't aware, there are indeed three separate water systems.
The first starts as the geyser in the lobby, flows outside, over the waterfall into the pond, leaves the pond and continues flowing toward the pool. Just before the pool is a low footbridge. This is where the first system ends.

The water emerging from under the footbridge is separate and begins the swimming pool system of chlorinated water. On the far side of the pool water can flow out of the pool into another stream. The pool system ends where this water flows under another footbridge near the Trout Pass pool bar.

The water that appears from under that pool bar footbridge is actually lake water. As it flows along it joins the runoff from the geyser area and flows out into the lake.

Three separate systems that cleverly blend together into what seems to be a single flow of water from the lobby out to the lake.

-Rob

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Someone would have to check to make sure, but with the lobby system shut off presumably there is pool water "magically appearing" from under the footbridge just above the pool...

And for reference to others who weren't aware, there are indeed three separate water systems.
The first starts as they geyser in the lobby, flows outside, over the waterfall into the pond, leaves the pond and continues flowing toward the pool. Just before the pool is a low footbridge. This is where the first system ends.

The water emerging from under the footbridge is separate and begins the swimming pool system of chlorinated water. On the far side of the pool water can flow out of the pool into another stream. The pool system ends where this water flows under another footbridge near the Trout Pass pool bar.

The water that appears from under that pool bar footbridge is actually lake water. As it flows along it joins the runoff from the geyser area and flows out into the lake.

Three separate systems that cleverly blend together into what seems to be a single flow of water form the lobby out to the lake.

-Rob
Definitely a work of art for a resort that could be similarly described. Thanks for the run through.

mepierce01

This is exactly what I saw on Sunday! It does look really odd, but only if you're paying attention (I just stopped by the resort to see what this whole refurb looked like, so I WAS paying attention). Most of the other guests that were there didn't seem to notice the fact that there was no water at all between the lobby and the footbridge, and yet somehow water was flowing from the footbridge to the pool.

But yes, this is exactly how it looks right now. So I would venture to guess that as long as the fountain refurb is finished before the pool closes, then they'll just switch and have the water flow from the lobby to the footbridge and stop there.

Thanks @Rob562 for explaining the way the water system is set up; until now I had just assumed it was all one contiguous system.

KTCpiano

It is definitely not finished and minimal work has been done it since I arrived on July 2. We had torrential rains for several hours yesterday that largely filled the spring again, and I noticed they are out this morning draining the water out again. However, I have a courtyard view, and it really has had almost no impact on my enjoyment. From my experience, the only time I notice it is when staring directly at the waterfall area, and you can see one piece of work equipment from the windows walking towards the lobby.

note2001

I just got back from WL too, From the looks of it I doubt they'll have the waterfall running again any time sooner than 2 to 3 weeks from now. Did the falls being down or screens impact our stay? No. :) We did miss them, but if they do this right they'll be back and working properly for years to come - that's more important than a rush job.

ToTBellHop

I just got back from WL too, From the looks of it I doubt they'll have the waterfall running again any time sooner than 2 to 3 weeks from now. Did the falls being down or screens impact our stay? No. :) We did miss them, but if they do this right they'll be back and working properly for years to come - that's more important than a rush job.
And maybe they can share info on waterfall maintenance with the folks over at Epcot. The Maelstrom waterfall seems to be under wraps more than it's visible.

Kuzcotopia

Thanks to you both for sharing your experience. We'll be there is a little less than four weeks. . . It's not anything serious, but there is no info about this refurb other than what we're posting here.

I'll report as well, when we finally get there.

janoimagine

They shouldn't be down by the time the pool is. However, with the pool closed, there certainly will be an impact on where water from the waterfall can flow.
The waterfall does not actually flow into the pool ... it is very cleverly diverted under the bridge and creates a great illusion.

Edit: Rob beat me to it.

KCheatle

I don't complain about much, but honestly, I'll be irked if this isn't back up by the 26th. I paid a pretty penny to have a courtyard view because my DH and I love to sit out on the balcony at night and listen to the waterfall while we have a glass of wine. If it's not back up and running when we get there, I'm going to ask for my money back and/or a room switch. :-(

ToTBellHop

I don't complain about much, but honestly, I'll be irked if this isn't back up by the 26th. I paid a pretty penny to have a courtyard view because my DH and I love to sit out on the balcony at night and listen to the waterfall while we have a glass of wine. If it's not back up and running when we get there, I'm going to ask for my money back and/or a room switch. :-(
You are unlikely to get your money back over a decorative feature but a switch to a different view with a credit for the difference in price is not unreasonable.

KCheatle

Welp....Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Disney. I started with Guest Services. They said they had no idea that the waterfall was off, so they told me to talk to WL, and then call back if it was in fact off. So, I called WL and, surprise surprise, they said it's off indefinitely. So, I called back to Guest Services and got a different rep. I tell him the situation, and he proceeded to tell me that it's not off because it's not scheduled for refurb until September. To which I replied that I JUST spoke to WL (at GS' request), and they confirmed it was off. So, he then calls WL, and surprise surprise, he confirms it is off. But, he doesn't want to deal with me, so he transfers me to yet a 3rd agent, who again tries to tell me it's not off. However, I convince her to call WL, and she calls and finds out it is off. She, however, somehow got information that it's supposed to be back on the last week of July.

Although I'm glad to hear it will be back on, I'll believe it when I see it. If it's not on when we get there, I'm raising H-E-double-hockey-sticks for the crap they put me through today. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

note2001

Disney doesn't deem a fountain refurbishment to be a major inconvenience, and so they don't publish it as work being done. I called DVC member services to ask if they knew when it would be back on and, like what you encountered, they had no idea and called WL directly to confirm. I've been to VWL enough that the fountain being worked on was not a dent in my stay, but for my sister and her boys, it was their first stay there, and just wanted to tell them the right info. (I was told Start of August also, but from July1-10, I never saw anyone out there working on it.)

The courtyard is still beautiful, there are flowers and bunnies everywhere and the sounds of running water even without the waterfall. During the day you'll only hear the exceptionally loud pool party anyway.

Kuzcotopia

Welp....Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Disney. I started with Guest Services. They said they had no idea that the waterfall was off, so they told me to talk to WL, and then call back if it was in fact off. So, I called WL and, surprise surprise, they said it's off indefinitely. So, I called back to Guest Services and got a different rep. I tell him the situation, and he proceeded to tell me that it's not off because it's not scheduled for refurb until September. To which I replied that I JUST spoke to WL (at GS' request), and they confirmed it was off. So, he then calls WL, and surprise surprise, he confirms it is off. But, he doesn't want to deal with me, so he transfers me to yet a 3rd agent, who again tries to tell me it's not off. However, I convince her to call WL, and she calls and finds out it is off. She, however, somehow got information that it's supposed to be back on the last week of July.

Although I'm glad to hear it will be back on, I'll believe it when I see it. If it's not on when we get there, I'm raising H-E-double-hockey-sticks for the crap they put me through today. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I hope you arrive to good news!

"Indefinitely" is vague, considering that someone must have an end date in mind. . . I will be there in mid august, so we'll see. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom