Wilderness Lodge water feature refurb

Jim Buck

Not thrilled, will be there next weekend for anniversary. Looking forward to same picture with the wife from 6 years ago, now it will be with a wall in the background instead of the falls.

I too agree I don't feel like paying "Deluxe" prices for construction in the summer months.

Jim Buck

I called today to express my frustration and was told that the walls are down and trees have been put in place outside as well. Anyone out there able to confirm this if you are on site?

SorcererDonald16

I called today to express my frustration and was told that the walls are down and trees have been put in place outside as well. Anyone out there able to confirm this if you are on site?

If it happened, it happened late Sunday afternoon or evening or early this morning. I left almost 3pm yesterday and all walls, trees, etc. were still up and no water flowing. I didn't see any construction workers either.

BTW, the boat dock has construction going on as well. The covered area and the end of the dock were blocked off every day I was there; one day parts of a "log" were lying loose on the dock.

rnese

Checking in 20 days from now. I will settle for nothing less than construction completed and water running. Jim Ignatowski has spoken!

Slowjack

Wow god forbid Disney refurbish things...
I don't see anyone complaining that something is being refurbished, but rather that Disney is charging a lot for what you get from their hotel rooms, on the theory that theming and magic are making up the difference; thus, when a major theme element is going to be missing, Disney should provide a discount or some kind of make-good.

Jim Buck

If it happened, it happened late Sunday afternoon or evening or early this morning. I left almost 3pm yesterday and all walls, trees, etc. were still up and no water flowing. I didn't see any construction workers either.

BTW, the boat dock has construction going on as well. The covered area and the end of the dock were blocked off every day I was there; one day parts of a "log" were lying loose on the dock.

Was the pool up and running for business?

216bruce

Things have to get taken down at times to get fixed or replaced- fact of life. I've stayed there before when the spring was down and we still, somehow, managed to have a great vacation. Everyone just calm down. We are there from July 10-15 for an on-site wedding and while I hope it's running by then, if it's not we'll probably say "Too bad" and move on. It's not going away as it is integral to the story of the resort. It's at the heart of the reason/back story for the WL as it "creates" the pool and stream (not really, but it's a well hidden trick). Any water feature adds a bunch of maintenance to any attraction or display as water by it's nature corrodes most materials. Unavoidable.
I do think that the ring of foliage is pretty tacky looking, but it's either that or it just sits there dry and all ugly looking.

rnese

Wow god forbid Disney refurbish things...
Correct! Especially when I, Jim Ignatowski will be there!

Seriously though. I changed my resort for this summer back in March from the Poly to Wilderness because there were no refurbs scheduled. I could have picked PORS or POFQ for less money and no refurbs. Also, don't do the refurbs at the time of year when the resort is packed! Schedule them for slower times of the year. That's all I'm saying...and yes, I sound like a whiney, spoiled brat. I know it and I'm proud. Squeaky wheel gets the oil in today's society.

rnese

Things have to get taken down at times to get fixed or replaced- fact of life. I've stayed there before when the spring was down and we still, somehow, managed to have a great vacation. Everyone just calm down. We are there from July 10-15 for an on-site wedding and while I hope it's running by then, if it's not we'll probably say "Too bad" and move on. It's not going away as it is integral to the story of the resort. It's at the heart of the reason/back story for the WL as it "creates" the pool and stream (not really, but it's a well hidden trick). Any water feature adds a bunch of maintenance to any attraction or display as water by it's nature corrodes most materials. Unavoidable.
I do think that the ring of foliage is pretty tacky looking, but it's either that or it just sits there dry and all ugly looking.
I was planning on kayaking down that thing when I got there...MY vacation is RUINED!;)

216bruce

I only go to sit and stare at the bubbling water. Sometimes I make a little paper boat out of a park map and watch it flow out of the Lodge. Vacation ruined too! I want my "pro-rated, per attraction/water feature in a hotel that no-one else will care about, twenty-one cents back." Yeesh...

Jim Buck

It's not that the water is not running, it's the big tarp walls in the courtyard outside. Going back for anniversary and to take our picture right where the walls are as we have every time before, one of the reasons we chose this resort. Not ruining the whole trip but it is a bummer for sure.

stevebwv

At one time this board hosted interesting discussions about the world. Lately it is simply a place for the discontent to rant regardless what takes place. A refurb when I might be staying on site? How dare you! A torn seat on a ride? OMG, Disney refuses to fix anything! Ahh, I hate Disney but I am still obsessed enough to post my endless discontent!

BTW, I spent last week at the lodge and rarely noticed the work on the creek. It was not noticeable at the pool only when walking to the pool form the main lobby. The seven seconds it took to walk by were tolerable. :rolleyes:

awilliams4

I don't see anyone complaining that something is being refurbished, but rather that Disney is charging a lot for what you get from their hotel rooms, on the theory that theming and magic are making up the difference; thus, when a major theme element is going to be missing, Disney should provide a discount or some kind of make-good.

Searched this thread for 'Discount'. You are the only hit I got on that search. So I don't see how your know one is complaining they are just asking for a discount is coming from.

ABQ

Wow, you'd think they took out the totems, the fire place and replaced all the wooden beams with steel. Having stayed in the WL quite a few times, though I do love the theme, it's not like this one water feature is what makes the place. It's a small element, which when combined with things like the totem poles and the rest of the lobby decor, makes for a wonderful overall look. But make no mistake, it's not as if this water feature is on par in scale to say the one being removed from the Poly.
I would gather a large number of visitors won't notice immediately the construction walls off in the corner by the elevators for a while after entering the lobby. Sure, it's disappointing, but nothing worth getting worked up about and nothing any resort or hotel chain would discount a room over.
Heck, I just stayed in a hotel in Santa Fe that had wonderful in room fireplaces that were stocked with a beautiful pinon to burn last year. This year, I got a Duraflame log. Hardly the ambiance of real wood. I politely complained for fun and profit and was not granted any sort of discount. Just an "Oh, I'm sorry, our usual wood supplier was unavailable this weekend." :grumpy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom