Wilderness Lodge water feature refurb

durangojim

Wow, you'd think they took out the totems, the fire place and replaced all the wooden beams with steel. Having stayed in the WL quite a few times, though I do love the theme, it's not like this one water feature is what makes the place. It's a small element, which when combined with things like the totem poles and the rest of the lobby decor, makes for a wonderful overall look. But make no mistake, it's not as if this water feature is on par in scale to say the one being removed from the Poly.
I would gather a large number of visitors won't notice immediately the construction walls off in the corner by the elevators for a while after entering the lobby. Sure, it's disappointing, but nothing worth getting worked up about and nothing any resort or hotel chain would discount a room over.
Heck, I just stayed in a hotel in Santa Fe that had wonderful in room fireplaces that were stocked with a beautiful pinon to burn last year. This year, I got a Duraflame log. Hardly the ambiance of real wood. I politely complained for fun and profit and was not granted any sort of discount. Just an "Oh, I'm sorry, our usual wood supplier was unavailable this weekend." :grumpy:
I agree that in the grand scheme of things this is nothing but an inconvenience. I think peoples biggest disappointment is the waterfall outside being blocked by scaffolding. I know that's a site for many pics but if they're keeping up maintenance it will be able to be a beautiful site for photos for years to come.

Swfewrmco

Nobody, myself included, was complaining about a refurb. I was merely stating that on my upcoming trip in seven weeks that is the first at WL with my son, that I would be disappointed if the creek and lobby geyser, which we have been telling my kid about, was not working. A deal breaker, of course not, but it certainly adds to the ambiance of the place more than tarps, scaffolds, and temp planters.

Maybe I am spoiled, because all my life, I have only gone to WDW in July or August, because my parents never believed in pulling me out of school for vacation and later because I married a school teacher. I have been accustomed to summer being the time that nothing was down for refurb. WDW has now successfully eliminated most of the off-season, so now summer appears to be game for stuff being down. The last few years, I have gone in July only to have such attractions as POTC, HM, SSE, IASW, and others closed for maintenance. Even now, this year's trip will see TTA, AO, and ITTBAB closed. A fact of life and a necessary evil, but I'm still not used to it.

rt06

I would be perturbed. This from a person that has stayed in <$10 Honduran hostels, so I'm not one to b:mad:ch about appearances. Give me a warning before I drop my cash. It's not unreasonable. Disney has a notification about Poly on its site. Nothing on WL. Go to the WL page. Boom. Silver Creek right in your face.

I'm actively planning a vacay for this month. WL was on my resort list. "Allow the sight and sound of Silver Creek Falls to calm and caress you at Disney's Wilderness Lodge." Disney is trying to sell me something that doesn't exist at the moment. That is inherently unfair.

Slowjack

Searched this thread for 'Discount'. You are the only hit I got on that search. So I don't see how your know one is complaining they are just asking for a discount is coming from.
I'm going to assume that last sentence is either speech-to-text or predictive text going awry. :) Anyway, I suppose I was imprecise. Point being, I don't see anyone complaining simply that refurbs exist. The only real complaint I see is one guy wishing that he didn't have to full price when he's not getting the full experience. Not identical with asking for a discount, but not that different, either. I'm not even saying I agree with the complaint, just that I understand where it's coming from. It's like how theaters put cards out on the sidewalk announcing if a major performer will be missing that night. Or for that matter, consider how Disney itself elaborately tiers room pricing based on the view. If the idea is that people should pay a little more have a fountain in view from the room, it's reasonable to ask if they should pay less when the fountain isn't visible at all.

SorcererDonald16

Pool is not affected by the work, only the falls and lobby spring.

Yup. I am back home; will try and post some pictures later tonight. I'm not sure if I got one of the in-lobby "tree barrier" but I know I got the outdoor scaffolding from my first room before the switch.

I'm not sure what they're doing to the dock, honestly, other than something requiring a log to be taken down or replaced.

mm52200

People claiming that they should be discounted because of this refurbishment is like saying the park ticket should be cheaper because a certain attraction is closed for refurbishment. Things happen, things need to be upkept, and unfortunately sometimes there will be construction walls and scaffolding. That's just a fact of life when maintaining a place like WDW.

eastvillage

People claiming that they should be discounted because of this refurbishment is like saying the park ticket should be cheaper because a certain attraction is closed for refurbishment. Things happen, things need to be upkept, and unfortunately sometimes there will be construction walls and scaffolding. That's just a fact of life when maintaining a place like WDW.

By the same token, I wouldn't have expected them to have raised the price of an MK park ticket right in the middle of a huge construction project at the hub. A couple years ago, I also wouldn't have expected them to have raised the price of a MNSSHP ticket when they had a major attraction (Space Mountain) down for refurbishment.

It is getting a little ridiculous now. I'm happy with upkeep and maintenance. It is very much needed. But the prices at the resorts, parks, restaurants, etc. have been jacked up to insane levels. And all the construction walls take their toll on people in different ways. I decided to stop going until the walls were down around 7DMT. I just couldn't deal with seeing all those walls smack in the middle of the park anymore. Now those walls are down but there are walls up all around the hub. I really don't know when I'll go back.

JasonDeyoung

The walls around the hub are honestly not that bad, or maybe I just go to much to really even notice anymore haha but it does seem like a lot of refurb going on right now, more than the usual like during off seasons

Last edited:

psherman42

The walls around the hub are honestly not that bad, or maybe I just go to much to really even notice anymore haha but it does seem like a lot of refurb going on right now, more than the usual like during off seasons
I agree. It's not pretty but when I saw the concept art for the new hub area, I expected it to be a lot worse. Of course it still could as they move forward but for now I don't think it's that bad.

rnese

Thou shalt not refurb during the great Jim Ignatowski's visit! I announced my intent to visit. I declared the dates of my gracing your hallowed hallways with my presence. How darest thou refurb during MY visit!

Seriously though. Just a bit upsetting that I moved FROM the Poly to the WL in order to get away from the tarps and scaffolding. I can only afford to get to WDW every four years. Saved up...wanted the most magical experience possible for my family. Ehh....I'll just visit the bar more often....unless THAT"S being refurbed and I don't know about THAT yet!

KCheatle

We checked in to WL a few years back, and on the first day we heard pounding going on over our room. We had an early flight that day, so the kids and us we were gonna take a quick snooze before hitting the parks. But, the pounding just kept going, and going, and going. Finally, my DH went down to the front desk to ask what was going on and if it was going to stop soon? They apologized, and actually offered to move us to a different resort for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we were with a large group, so we couldn't be relocated. But, they did comp us 1 night, and we never heard the pounding again.

ToTBellHop

We checked in to WL a few years back, and on the first day we heard pounding going on over our room. We had an early flight that day, so the kids and us we were gonna take a quick snooze before hitting the parks. But, the pounding just kept going, and going, and going. Finally, my DH went down to the front desk to ask what was going on and if it was going to stop soon? They apologized, and actually offered to move us to a different resort for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we were with a large group, so we couldn't be relocated. But, they did comp us 1 night, and we never heard the pounding again.
Ugh. Honeymooners...

Glad they comped you a night.

Goofnut1980

We are under the understanding that this is only a waterfall right? Nothing is gained or lost by a waterfall. You can't actually do anything in it. Yes, it's sad it's not working, but shouldn't you be happy that they are actually maintaining the property? just sayin!

Unplugged

Has to be done. I'm glad they're taking care of it. With so many assets across property that has to be maintained, there is always something being worked on at any point. Just a matter of convenience, though for most of us here, we should be able to deal with it as we go more then the "one time guests".

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don't see anyone complaining that something is being refurbished, but rather that Disney is charging a lot for what you get from their hotel rooms, on the theory that theming and magic are making up the difference; thus, when a major theme element is going to be missing, Disney should provide a discount or some kind of make-good.

So given your logic, when Disney closes Splash Mountain for its annual Winter repaint, Disney should give you a discount on admission tickets during that time period? I'm a DVC member and WL is my home resort, so MY annual fees are also paying for this refurb - so you need to thank me too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom