Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well, sign me up as a complainer!!
The best resort on property is about to be ruined. Being hidden among the trees makes this resort work. adding more buildings and pathways will be removing the seclusion. Its so nice and quiet, and peaceful among the greenery. the faint sound of the MK steam train in the distance.
Fort Wilderness has a gazillion buildings and it feels just as quiet and peaceful as Wilderness Lodge. Much more, in fact.

Where is this attitude coming from that buildings mean no more trees? Have y'all ever seen any cabin anywhere?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. And quite frankly we have no clue which direction they are going. Getting all twisted up about Disney's deforestation efforts, which may not even happen, is silliness at his highest level.
I'm with you. I'm cautiously optimistic. In defense of those who are skeptical or worried that the environment will be ruined we do have this tragic little piece of recent history:
image.jpg

But to ease some of those concerns, in the not so distant past they built these as part of a DVC resort:
image.jpg

image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is DVC we are talking about. I'd say expect it to start tomorrow, but that might be too long for them to wait...

Since they just filed the South Florida Water Management District permit it will be at least a month or two before they start. They may start other parts of the project but they won't start what is in the permit until it has been approved.

Next Big Thing

Since they just filed the South Florida Water Management District permit it will be at least a month or two before they start. They may start other parts of the project but they won't start what is in the permit until it has been approved.
Oh, I know it won't start for a bit. Just poking fun at how Disney tends to move a lot faster when it comes to DVC.

freediverdude

I'm with you. I'm cautiously optimistic. In defense of those who are skeptical or worried that the environment will be ruined we do have this tragic little piece of recent history:View attachment 93243

But to ease some of those concerns, in the not so distant past they built these as part of a DVC resort:
View attachment 93244
View attachment 93245

Just because you don't have enough points to stay in a bungalow doesn't mean you have to put them down, lol. Let me guess, you're a VGF owner ;)

Tom

Beta Return
There is already a path there that they may need to widen a little. The most damage will probably come from construction and getting the equipment in. It depends on how much they want to spend to return things to their natural state after construction. The trees will eventually grow back in too. It may just take a few years.

I'm with you. I'm cautiously optimistic. In defense of those who are skeptical or worried that the environment will be ruined we do have this tragic little piece of recent history:View attachment 93243

View attachment 93244
View attachment 93245

There's no reason why they can't pre-fab them and set them in place with a crane, just like they did with the Treehouse Villas. They could have done that with the Poly too, and it would have been a construction eye-sore for such a shorter period of time. Just build the boardwalk, platforms and run utilities. Crane in the buildings and connect everything.

That would allow them to maintain a LOT of the wooded area. They can even take the rooms over on a barge and use a water-based crane, to avoid having to crane over the existing buildings.

They'd need a construction road, but that's about it. And it could become the permanent fire lane.

It would be a huge shame if they really de-forest the place, like the plans imply. And with them clearly calling out the "fireworks view" on the rendering, I have little hope that they'll do the right thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just because you don't have enough points to stay in a bungalow doesn't mean you have to put them down, lol. Let me guess, you're a VGF owner ;)
Actually BLT:). I don't have enough points to stay in a bungalow for more than a few nights. The rooms themselves look pretty nice, but not worth the points IMHO.

The rooms aren't the issue. They are a very big disruption of the environment for the Polynesian resort itself. The beach area (which was a critical component of a Polynesian themed resort) is dramatically altered. The overall experience for all but the 20 villas is negatively impacted. With this project there is a good chance that the vast majority of the rooms at WL will not have an altered view. There will still be plenty of wilderness left. The biggest visual impact will likely be on approaching the resort from the lake.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's no reason why they can't pre-fab them and set them in place with a crane, just like they did with the Treehouse Villas. They could have done that with the Poly too, and it would have been a construction eye-sore for such a shorter period of time. Just build the boardwalk, platforms and run utilities. Crane in the buildings and connect everything.

That would allow them to maintain a LOT of the wooded area. They can even take the rooms over on a barge and use a water-based crane, to avoid having to crane over the existing buildings.

They'd need a construction road, but that's about it. And it could become the permanent fire lane.

It would be a huge shame if they really de-forest the place, like the plans imply. And with them clearly calling out the "fireworks view" on the rendering, I have little hope that they'll do the right thing.
Here's to hoping they do the right thing. If the theme is supposed to be Wilderness Lodge "Cabins" or something along those lines then they should really try to keep the trees and other stuff that make up the "wilderness"

ParentsOf4

This is DVC we are talking about. I'd say expect it to start tomorrow, but that might be too long for them to wait...
Oh, I know it won't start for a bit. Just poking fun at how Disney tends to move a lot faster when it comes to DVC.
As you alluded to in your earlier post, the sale of DVC units are extremely profitable, which why they do move on their construction relatively quickly.

As Bob Iger said all the way back in 2006:

The other thing that I want to note is that we have seen incredible growth in our Vacation Club business. This is a business where we have roughly 2,000 units open at this point, and I would imagine we'll end up building substantially more in the years ahead. Our CAGR [compound annual growth rate] on this business has been roughly 20%, and we have really high returns on invested capital. It's a great way to strengthen our relationship with core consumers, and I think it's going to provide us with some pretty interesting growth in the years to come.​

This was at a time when people were purchasing Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) for $68/point and Beach Club Villas (BCV) for $75/night. (Disney used to regularly offer discounts on DVC purchases back then.)

Less than 10 years later, the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows (PVB) and Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF) are selling for $165/point. :greedy:

mrerk

Premium Member
So does this mean the conversion of Lodge rooms is now off the table, or is this in addition to the conversion?

IIRC, this thread started with discussion of conversion, not building new.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So does this mean the conversion of Lodge rooms is now off the table, or is this in addition to the conversion?

IIRC, this thread started with discussion of conversion, not building new.
I believe this is in addition to hotel room conversion. A few months back @WDW1974 broke the rumor in one of the spirited threads. The plans at the time included a conversion of hotel rooms to DVC rooms (similar to Poly) plus the addition of overwater tepees (similar in nature to Poly bungalows) and some work done on lounges/restaurant space. I'm pretty sure this permit relates to the "tepee" portion of those plans although thankfully not over water like Poly. The project goes a few years so it has to be more than just 20 new bungalows and a refurbed pool.

Cosmic Commando

As you alluded to in your earlier post, the sale of DVC units are extremely profitable, which why they do move on their construction relatively quickly.

As Bob Iger said all the way back in 2006:

The other thing that I want to note is that we have seen incredible growth in our Vacation Club business. This is a business where we have roughly 2,000 units open at this point, and I would imagine we'll end up building substantially more in the years ahead. Our CAGR [compound annual growth rate] on this business has been roughly 20%, and we have really high returns on invested capital. It's a great way to strengthen our relationship with core consumers, and I think it's going to provide us with some pretty interesting growth in the years to come.​

This was at a time when people were purchasing Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) for $68/point and Beach Club Villas (BCV) for $75/night. (Disney used to regularly offer discounts on DVC purchases back then.)

Less than 10 years later, the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows (PVB) and Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF) are selling for $165/point. :greedy:
I'm kind of kicking myself that my wife and I didn't pull the trigger on a resale contract back in the "good old days". We almost bought a small contract this year, and the going rate was $90-$100pp for BWV. If I ever invent a time machine, I'll do that and buy the dining plan back when it was actually a deal.

Garfield

Where is this attitude coming from that buildings mean no more trees? Have y'all ever seen any cabin anywhere?

The problem is that the first drawing in post #266, the illustrated drawing, does not show any trees around the cabins. Plenty of trees are drawn elsewhere, but where the cabins are it looks to be clear cut. This could just be the way they chose to illustrate the location of the cabins and I hope this is the case, but if it is built as drawn, it appears there will not be any trees between and surrounding the cabins. That would not be good. Let's hope they build these like the treehouses, using modular construction and minimal de-forestation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The problem is that the first drawing in post #266, the illustrated drawing, does not show any trees around the cabins. Plenty of trees are drawn elsewhere, but where the cabins are it looks to be clear cut. This could just be the way they chose to illustrate the location of the cabins and I hope this is the case, but if it is built as drawn, it appears there will not be any trees between and surrounding the cabins. That would not be good. Let's hope they build these like the treehouses, using modular construction and minimal de-forestation.

The plans don't show any landscaping details around the new buildings so it's likely this was just omitted from these plans.

Garfield

The plans don't show any landscaping details around the new buildings so it's likely this was just omitted from these plans.
That's what I am hoping for, that they chose to omit the trees in that illustration in order to show the general layout of the cabins and hard surfaced areas.

By the way, you are the reason I finally joined after many, many years of lurking on these forums. I needed to be able to open your attachments and see other plans full sized! Thanks for the work you have done and I always look forward to your posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom