Wild Rumor: Animal Kingdom Flume Ride

Slowjack

I love it when I read people saying that a flume ride "is not what AK needs." Based on what? Assuming that this rumor comes to fruition, how is it that you know more than WDI or park management or whomever makes such decisions?

I think the addition of any new rides to any of the parks is just what I'd like to see. Whether they need it or not.
I don't understand this comment. When people say something like "X needs a ride more than Y" they are talking from their own experience about how much time they tend to spend in each park currently, and whether the proposed attraction is something they personally would stand in a queue to see, etc. What's wrong with that? Note that while we can expect that WDI and park management have an excellent idea of what they should put in a park, they find this out, in large part, from surveying guests. I mean, ultimately it's WDW fans that determine if a new addition is successful or not.

DisneyMusician2

Any addition to the AK would be welcome at this point.

MGM is simply a different story entirely, needing more rehabs and better concepts than mere construction of a new ride to bring it back to a real full-day experience

sbkline

I think a log flume ride would be a good idea. Most theme parks have a Kali type ride as well as a log flume ride, and I would like to see AK do the same.

Whether or not I would want this to be the next project they work on, I don't know. But if not, I will need to put some thought into what I WOULD like to see next...if we're only talking about rides; because I would still like to see a whole new Australia land added.

gusgoose

Log flumes are like pizza. Even when they're bad they're good. And when they're done well, like Splash Mountain or Ripsaw Falls at IOA, then they're as good a ride as it gets.

I know bits and pieces of the Beastly Kingdom story, does anyone have a link that explains it thoroughly?

Hummer1676

I really, really, really like this idea. There was a ride in King's Island, in Cincinnati, I'm assuming it's still there, called Amazon Falls. Basically, it's a boat similar in style to the Jurassic Park boats at IOA, and really it's just a trip up a hill, then you ride through some "rapids" and go down a huge waterfall. It's fun, but I remember thinking to myself, man... imagine if they really stretched this out and gave it some amazing theming. I can only imagine what Disney could do with a ride like that.

It would be cool. I hope they decided to do something like this. The idea's are never ending. You could even bring in some ancient Incan temples to tie in with Machu Pichu. Only time will tell!

comics101

Breaking news: All rides with water are similar.

:brick:

I must dissagree. Splash Mountain IMO is nothing like Kali. They both use water, however, one uses a raft and fake dead burning trees, and the other uses the timless stories from Song of the South. I would much rather spend my time on Splash. Just My Opinion.

imagineer boy

is there room since EE went in.... i guess there is towards the end.

There's not really any space at the end, but around the burning forrest scene, it could expand out of the park's boundaries.

As for the log flume, if they're going to build one, why not build it in Camp Mnnie-Mickey? That place could use a ride. It could be themed to "Mickey's Canoe-trip" where you board canoes and go down for a peaceful trip down the river when as usual, something goes wrong and you accidentally end up in a logging flume where the ride gets wild and the ride ends in a huge drop.

lilmizpixie3

Even though a log flume ride would be fun, I don't think that AK needs anything else new right now. After all they just opened EE and the Nemo musical. They need to focus on some other aspects of the park and fix up other things. Besides, their is already the original flume ride (splash mountain of course). They can't out do that!:hammer:

Mecha Figment

seing how the most recent ride was based on the Yeti, I'm wondering if a log flue ride if properly themed could tie into a dragon theme. you know fire vs. water. it could play out nicely.

JimboJones123

There's not really any space at the end, but around the burning forrest scene, it could expand out of the park's boundaries.

As for the log flume, if they're going to build one, why not build it in Camp Mnnie-Mickey? That place could use a ride. It could be themed to "Mickey's Canoe-trip" where you board canoes and go down for a peaceful trip down the river when as usual, something goes wrong and you accidentally end up in a logging flume where the ride gets wild and the ride ends in a huge drop.
Camp Minnie-Mickey is a strange name for theming. Camp Minnie-Mickey makes you think Fort Wilderness Camping. It even includes the statues of characters looking like they are camping in the U.S. But with the characters in their Safari Gear, it really confuses the theming. That makes you think African Safari Camp -- a la Tarzan.

I don't know if a North American Canoe ride would fit the theme or not. I've always hand a kind of hard time with the area and figuring out what it means. I guess living with the wilderness -- no matter where is the theme. I'd actually love to see Donald in the Boy Scout costume w/the nephews out for meet and greets. But again if you have that theme at Fort Wilderness -- why have it here??? This is more challenging for me than fitting an encompassing theme for Tomorrowland. :confused:

Gastons Minion

I am a big fan of a flume ride becoming a resident of AK IF it is done properly and thoroughly. I would hate to see a mediocre cookie-cutter attraction that was spit out to please the impatients. Could EE be receiving a Mountain shaped Sister? I hope so....Having one more mountain in the skyline of AK would be visually pleasing..IMO. On a side note, if this did ever become a reality I would like to see an original concept...Not a tie-in with Brother Bear or any other cheap scapegoat.

Your idea has potential but for the wrong reasons. I would like to see a sister mountain to EE perhaps in Africa with some king of Kilimanjaro theme. Not only would a second mountain be visually stimulating but give the park some more much needed exposure. Though AK does a superb job marketing to the younger crowd and closing rather early I would like to see it take on a more outdoors adventure type theme. Disney needs to recognize times are changing and have a park that also caters to a teenage bracket. Too often kids are exposed to Disney at a young age but lose their attachment by experiencing the other park in their teenage years. Disney would be missing out if they did not take advantage of tyhe opportunity they have in AK by catapulting it into an outdoor adventure park for the teens and keeping the animal aspect for the moms and the less adventurous young ladies. A 2nd mountain would fit that "outdoorsy profile" if you will and is a splendid idea. I just dont see why they should just raise a white flag to the other park when it comes to teens and young adult males. They already monopolized young kids, if they appeal to teens they woudl secure lifelong loyalty for its patrons. MK, Epcot when youre small, AK for the animals when youre small and for the young ladies and moms, AK for its outdoor and adventure appeal for teen and young adult male teens, and then when the same group becomes parents they could showcase the same park loaylty cycle to their own kids without losing out to the other park. HAHA NOW Laugh on bow down to GASTON !!

dave2822

I'm semi-positive that Camp Minnie Mickey was never meant to be a permanent addition to AK. It was there to address the short-term needs of a developing park that needed character meet & greets. Besides for FotLK, which could still fit into a newly themed land, depending on the theme, there is nothing really there that would need to be kept if expansion was needed.

Can anybody back me up on this?

Anyone? :lookaroun

bassman

where as a flume ride in AK would be cool, agree with the majority and refurb MGM.

maybe even add this proposed flume ride or some other water ride to MGM,id like to see that,a water ride wouldnt work in epcot i dont think (it has the maelstrom but that doesnt count you dont get wet,im talking kali/splash calibre water rides)
and AK and MK already have a water ride.

i would like to see a water ride in MGM,i dont know what they could base it around though but im sure WDI could think something up

cabihler

animal kingdom flume ride

how about in the africa section a Victoria Falls Flume ride ... sorry if this was already suggested i just did not wish to read all of the replies ....

gusgoose

how about in the africa section a Victoria Falls Flume ride ... sorry if this was already suggested i just did not wish to read all of the replies ....

Yeah, we were talking about a trip down the Amazon ending with a waterfall. This would be cool too, heading down the Zambezi (sp?) River and ending with a trip down Victoria Falls.

Maybe they could even implement some more live animal areas along the log flume track to help the theming? Not sure what's native to Victoria Falls area... I'm guessing antelope, zebras, alligators, elephants, buffalo, etc.

CarlHS

“I think what they really should do is expand Kali first. Its embarrassingly too short.”

>> YES! I rode this once and never again. It is way too short. I was so disappointed with this one, just not Disney’s best at all. Extend Kali now!

CarlHS

“I would love to see a flume attraction at the AK. Hopefully it will be as long or longer than Splash Mountain. The longer the attraction, the better!”

>> Agreed, I don’t mind a hour wait if I get 15 minutes of quality entertainment.

CarlHS

“I love it when I read people saying that a flume ride "is not what AK needs." Based on what? Assuming that this rumor comes to fruition, how is it that you know more than WDI or park management or whomever makes such decisions?

I think the addition of any new rides to any of the parks is just what I'd like to see. Whether they need it or not.”

>> AMEN! I too get frustrated with the “It’s not needed” crowed. Every park in WDW is deficient in E tickets. California Adventure (for all it’s problems) has more E-Tickets than MGM or AK. There’s a reason WDW has a much smaller base of AP holders – It grows too slowly!

Champion

I must dissagree. Splash Mountain IMO is nothing like Kali. They both use water, however, one uses a raft and fake dead burning trees, and the other uses the timless stories from Song of the South. I would much rather spend my time on Splash. Just My Opinion.

So the head into brick wall smilie didn't clue you into the fact that I was being sarcastic based on the comment I was replying to? Namely that AK didn't need a flume because they had Kali?

Next time I will use multiple smilies to get the point across better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom