Why You Should Go Back To Attractions You Didn't Like The First Time

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
i read so much about how people "hate" certain attractions and how they always skip them. i suppose if you are going to take a really short trip to the World, it's smart to stick with what you like.

but i have to say that if you are a regular visitor to WDW and are going to be on property for a longer amount of time, maybe you should check out some of those attractions you vowed never to do again.

remember, it's not just about the attraction itself. when you are on vacation with someone you love, you are making memories that will last a lifetime.

yeah, the Country Bears may be a cheesy show, but you can have a good time if you are enjoying the company of the one you are with. my wife and i have such funny memories of going back on some of those "dud" attractions and laughing our heads off.

most of my favourite attractions are the popular ones which require having a strategy and making mad dashes to get a Fastpass, etc. and in all the hustle of making sure i get to do them, it is easy lost sight of the real reason for a family vacation.

some of my favourite memories of the parks actually come from those times we just took a break from the popular attractions, and just spent time together on one of the attractions which i really had no interest in.

if you have the time, you should go back and try one of your least favourite attractions. remember, there's more to your vacation than the "thrill factor" of any particular attraction.

holding my wife's hand while a bunch of decrepit Bears serenade us is priceless.

David S.

Nice post. I am a coaster enthusiast and love the thrill rides, but ironically, most of my favorite WDW attractions are the non-thrill "cute" attractions that are usually considered by many fans to be "C" or "D" tickets, like the Country Bears, Fantasyland dark rides, etc. With their catchy songs, lovable characters, and humor, attractions like the Bears warm my heart and give me that dose of old-school Walt Disney magic in a way that most of the newer, more thrill-oriented attractions (which I still enjoy, but in a different way), cannot.

Disney wouldn't feel like Disney to me without attractions like my beloved Country Bears, which is actually in my Top 5 attractions in all of WDW. The MK would be unBEARable without them! ;)

sanaj2000

I love the Country Bear Jamberee. for me this is a no miss attraction. Now stitch on the other hand is one that I may need to revisit. Didn't like it the first time.

foreverbelle

I always like to try and go and do some of the rides that I used to or think I will hate. Because sometimes its just not the ride but the time and all so yes I agree. And the funny thing is those rides that you hate, turn in-much like you said-to being one of your favorites.

Now the same can't be said about my oh so love affair with Dinosaur. No matter how many times I ride it...I cry.

Mr. Morrow

Your taste will change as time goes on; I never liked BTM when I was young because it wasn't a thrilling as the rest. Now that I am older and can appreciate the level of themeing it has, it has become my favorite coaster in WDW.

mike10

I missed the Country Bear jamberee last time. It's surprising but with all the running around my wife and I did last year and staying 10 days we STILL couldn't see everything. We rode just about every ride but we missed every parade and most of the shows.

So this year will be less about the rides and more about the parades and shows since my DD will be with us this year and I don't think she will be willing to do much running around lol.

EaglesfanNJ

i read so much about how people "hate" certain attractions and how they always skip them. i suppose if you are going to take a really short trip to the World, it's smart to stick with what you like.

but i have to say that if you are a regular visitor to WDW and are going to be on property for a longer amount of time, maybe you should check out some of those attractions you vowed never to do again.

remember, it's not just about the attraction itself. when you are on vacation with someone you love, you are making memories that will last a lifetime.

yeah, the Country Bears may be a cheesy show, but you can have a good time if you are enjoying the company of the one you are with. my wife and i have such funny memories of going back on some of those "dud" attractions and laughing our heads off.

most of my favourite attractions are the popular ones which require having a strategy and making mad dashes to get a Fastpass, etc. and in all the hustle of making sure i get to do them, it is easy lost sight of the real reason for a family vacation.

some of my favourite memories of the parks actually come from those times we just took a break from the popular attractions, and just spent time together on one of the attractions which i really had no interest in.

if you have the time, you should go back and try one of your least favourite attractions. remember, there's more to your vacation than the "thrill factor" of any particular attraction.

holding my wife's hand while a bunch of decrepit Bears serenade us is priceless.

Great post! I think there is some truth here for sure, however i do think there are exceptions to this rule too. Take SGE for example. We did it once, not only did we think it was a "dud", we considered it a complete waste of our Disney time and money. So in this case, if your argument is that it's all about making memories with the one you love that will last a lifetime, well we can still go make memories to last a lifetime on an attraction we are not bored to death on. Going on SGE again will not magically make us change our mind and most likely not going to spark some magical memory for us down the road. I do think for a show like the Country Bears, this thought process probably works though. I also admit that due to motion sicknes on certain rides, my lone encounter on Space Mountain was not too hot. Our next trip i'm going to give it another shot (plus need to see the refurb work) in order for us to create some memories like you say. Heck even if i :hurl:, that's a memory right!?

It's interesting that you should post this. Every since Philharmagic opened, I have refused to ride it. I did It's Tough To Be A Bug as a little kid, and discovered that I hate 3D or 4D anything. So when Phil opened, I passed it everytime, because I hate 3D. Well last trip the whole family went and they wanted to go on it. I decided I would try it, just this once, because we were all there. I gotta tell you, it's one of my favorite attractions now. I can't wait to go on it again, it totally amazed me, and didn't go over board with the 3D.

Overall, yeah, there is some value to trying ride you've either never done, or really didn't like the first time. Even though I find Peter Pan to be a short ride with a long line, I usually find time to ride it just to admire the miniature london scene.

bgraham34

To be honest the first time I rode TOT I hated it. It was not until i rode it again with a buddy of mine and I liked it after taht.

Silentkink

To be honest the first time I rode TOT I hated it. It was not until i rode it again with a buddy of mine and I liked it after taht.
Same as me as a little kid I hated it and said I would never go on again, but as time passed I began to love it and now it is one of the rides where if I miss it I would be very mad.

erasure fan1

I dont mind going back and doing the things that I really are not that interested in. The reason is, 1. we do go often so its fun to do some of those things every once in a while. 2. going with people who have not done them before is fun.

Dads 2 Boys

I think doing all attractions twice (especially in different years/trips) is a good idea. Your mindset, mood that day or many other things can influence how you feel so it's always good to try things again.

Some rides can also "grow on you" after going on it a 2nd or 3rd time. It's fun to see stuff you didn't see the first time around. There are definite exception where someone truly hates or is scared from an attraction (i.e. most people on these boards about SGE).

I know for me though I was dragged to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid and with the exception of it being air conditioned, I enjoyed it so little I fell asleep. :lol:

crazgurl

Stitch has zero redeeming qualities.

I hate it, always have, always will.

I didn't find it THAT bad, but what killed it for me was his burp - the smell made me feel like I was going to be sick the rest of the day, kept smelling it everywhere we went :hurl: if it wasn't for that though, I would gladly do it again, it was kind of cute......:lookaroun

BrerFrog

I was going to say "because the animatronics and effects may be actually working on a second ride through", but negativity aside I completely agree with you on that.

Sometimes good company is all that it takes for an experience to become enjoyable. :)

mp2bill

Can't agree with you more.

stargrl33

I absolutely agree with the OP. And if I had the time, money and resources, I would hit up every single attraction and show at Disney, even the ones I hate, because it is in enjoyable when you have good company. And fun to laugh at the dumb parts of Disney.

BUT unfortunately, the world is not perfect. I can only go to Disney every two or three years and have a limited amount of time to see things. So I have to veto seeing the Country Bears.

(Right now I am watching something about Disney World on the Travel channel, is anyone else?)

Tomi-Rocket

don't know....

I don't know about this. The first and last time we finally went on the Astro Orbiter I hated it. I was mad that we waited in line so long for such a lame ride. I just don't see me wanting to ever revisit that ride again. That being said, however, that might be the only one I feel that way about. I could probably be coaxed into giving some others (The Pooh ride in FL) once more. :shrug:

Matt and Kelly

Very good post. You raise some great points. I know there are rides I have not gone on yet, or didn't like after riding them the first time, that I'm fine with missing but maybe I'll re-think that during the next trip.

Hopefully we will be able to stay long enough to do some of the things we haven't or give those rides a second chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom