Why You Should Go Back To Attractions You Didn't Like The First Time

TinkerBelle8878

I think it would depend on why you didn't like it the first time. Three rides off the top of my head that I can say after I have no desire to ever ride again are for three very different reasons.

1. ToT- Did it once, spend the entire time sobbing, confirmed I hate rides with huge drops= never, ever again

2. Primeval Whirl- Shortish line, looked like fun in theory, almost got thrown from the car and wound up with a ton of black and blue marks on my arms and legs the next day= I'm enough of a klutz to do enough damage to myself without throwing a roller coaster into it

3. Toy Story Mania- 80 minute line but it was pouring- discovered that I suffer from slight claustrophobia at one particular part of the line before you go upstairs squished between two family who wouldn't move (or allow me to just move away from the narrow part with very high walls- not cut the line, just move so I didn't feel like I'd pass out), short ride, not worth the wait = unless it was an immediate load, I'd never wait for this again.

But there are other rides that I try once and adore so like I said it would depend on the reasons.

harveyt0206

I think you make some excellent points Jasper.

For me, skipping some rides is simply due to the effect that ride has on me personally, i.e.) Mission:Space = :hurl:.

But there are several attractions that I skip due to time issues. Tom Sawyer Island is typically one of those things that I skip because I feel it takes too much time away from the other things I want to do. By the time I catch the boat over to the Island, explore some the caverns, etc... 90 minutes has passed and I feel like I am missing other things.

But, I hereby swear to give County Bear a chance during my next trip. :)

Walt Disney1955

Alright, more love for the Country Bear Jamboree! Can't say I have ever hated that ride for a second. Always loved it, always will. When my sister finally took my brother in law to MK one of the first things I asked was:

"Did you see the Country Bears?"
"No"
(me with a double take) "How could you not see the Country Bear Jamboree?"
(my sister, shrugging) "I don't know"
"Oh man, you can't miss that"

A true classic.

Can I be honest for a second. The first time I rode Dumbo and the Carousel I was 10 and probably thought I was too cool to enjoy it. Is it weird that the best time I had riding those was with my wife at the age of 29?

Every ride in the park is GREAT in someones eyes. Remember that when you are with a group consisting of all ages.

The challenge as an adult is to remember why you liked the ride in the first place, and sometime reason has nothing to do with it. ;)

It's a privilege to have the means to go to Disney, so enjoy it all when you go. :)

Vtlsgns2

Yes!! As a kid, I dreaded the Carousel of Progress (blasphemy!) However, revisiting this attraction as an adult, it is now one of my absolute favorites.
That being said, I would not revisit Sounds Dangerous unless someone paid me a sum greater than $100 for my wasted time.

UberPlannerMom

I have to add kids as a reason to revisit what you already think you hate. Seriously, no matter how you feel about astro orbiter seeing a little boy light up because he feels like he is really on a space shuttle makes up for it. No matter how annoying you think its a small world is, your child gasping, oohing and aahing makes up for it. It just does! Heck- even the hall of presidents took on a new dimension when I got to explain all those AAs to my daughter!

hrcollectibles

Country Bear Jamboree is one of my favorite attractions...It just has that retro feel to it.. And I will be the first to admit that I did not like the idea of Captain Eo coming back.. So earlier this week I met up with some fellow cast members and we went to Captain Eo.. And let me say it brought back so many great memories.... I am glad they brought it back....

I cannot say I hate the American Idol experience, as I have not experienced it. I will say I have never watched the tv show...Glorified Karaokee does not impress me... But one of these days I will give it a shot

David S.

Alright, more love for the Country Bear Jamboree! Can't say I have ever hated that ride for a second. Always loved it, always will. When my sister finally took my brother in law to MK one of the first things I asked was:

"Did you see the Country Bears?"
"No"
(me with a double take) "How could you not see the Country Bear Jamboree?"
(my sister, shrugging) "I don't know"
"Oh man, you can't miss that"

A true classic.

Can I be honest for a second. The first time I rode Dumbo and the Carousel I was 10 and probably thought I was too cool to enjoy it. Is it weird that the best time I had riding those was with my wife at the age of 29?

I don't think it's weird at all! I enjoy Dumbo and the Carousel as much now (if not more) than I did as a child! And I don't have children or anything; it's my own "inner child" enjoying them. It seems the older I get, the younger I feel, which I am truly thankful for. I LOVE the Bears too; always have, and always will! One of my all-time absolute favorites!

"Don't you know that it's worth every treasure on earth to be young at heart
For as rich as you are, it's better by far to be young at heart"

- Frank Sinatra (written by Carolyn Leigh and Johnny Richards)

Disneybub

To be honest the first time I rode TOT I hated it. It was not until i rode it again with a buddy of mine and I liked it after taht.

Same here, Its still not something i really look forward to, However my nephew loves it so i plan on tolerating it for him during our trip in September :)

dweezil78

I must say, having an AP allows you far more flexibility in terms of your day at Disney -- whichever resort it may be. I love not having to have an agenda and can spend time experiencing the nuances of the parks rather than feel the need to hit all the E tickets to "get my money's worth."

When you pay so much for a single day, park hopper, etc, there's far more pressure to see the big attractions and you tend to neglect the little things that make the Disney parks so special...

DisneyPrincess5

Great point!

CoP was always 'eh' to me, but now that I'm older and have given it another shot, I absolutely adore it and it's one of my favorites. We always sit in the front now to take in all the little details!

fosse76

i read so much about how people "hate" certain attractions and how they always skip them. i suppose if you are going to take a really short trip to the World, it's smart to stick with what you like.

but i have to say that if you are a regular visitor to WDW and are going to be on property for a longer amount of time, maybe you should check out some of those attractions you vowed never to do again.

remember, it's not just about the attraction itself. when you are on vacation with someone you love, you are making memories that will last a lifetime.

yeah, the Country Bears may be a cheesy show, but you can have a good time if you are enjoying the company of the one you are with. my wife and i have such funny memories of going back on some of those "dud" attractions and laughing our heads off.

most of my favourite attractions are the popular ones which require having a strategy and making mad dashes to get a Fastpass, etc. and in all the hustle of making sure i get to do them, it is easy lost sight of the real reason for a family vacation.

some of my favourite memories of the parks actually come from those times we just took a break from the popular attractions, and just spent time together on one of the attractions which i really had no interest in.

if you have the time, you should go back and try one of your least favourite attractions. remember, there's more to your vacation than the "thrill factor" of any particular attraction.

holding my wife's hand while a bunch of decrepit Bears serenade us is priceless.

I usually re-visit attractions I don't really care for, depending on circumstances and my mood. If I happen to walk by the Enchanted Tiki Room or Country Bears (and the same with Honey I Shrunk the Audience) just as the show is about to start then I will check it out. But I don't go out of my way to experience them. I will only ride It's A Small World IF there is no wait. I see nothing very special about Carousel of Progress, but I'm getting used to seeing it so I generally take a whirl on it. I didn't care for The Festival of the Lion King, and since it is really out of the way I probably won't ever see it again.

I still regret not visiting the Enchanted Tiki Room when I was at Disneyland a few months ago...a show was starting just as I was walking by (the park was closing) but I wanted to go see a movie instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom